User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

grease your springs

This is the brass bushing out of my spring with only 4000 miles. I greased them when I purchased it but could not get to the one behind the drain pipe for the half bath. It had grease on fitting so I assumed it was greased when new. 4000 miles later I greased them again and purchased a 90 for that fitting. That's when I notice a flat spring. Tonight I replaced the spring and found brass bushing already worn out. Looks like it had a little grease but not enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20210422_215354793.jpg   IMG_20210422_215404943.jpg  
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the same condition I find on my springs and I grease my wet bolts on every trip. I just recently replaced all of my springs on my 2018 Solitude 310gk with hopes that the replacement springs would have spring eyes that were a bit rounder. All of my brass bushings were shot.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sir I have a 320G and have the same issue needing a 90 degree fitting and need to replace one that wont take grease are these metric or standard thread fittings?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabidd View Post
    Sir I have a 320G and have the same issue needing a 90 degree fitting and need to replace one that wont take grease are these metric or standard thread fittings?
    I purchased a 90 for my grease gun but would not take grease. I replaced all bushings when I went to 4000lb springs but have a couple that will not take grease even while jacking up and down on springs. I guess I'll just replace the bushings every couple years when I repack bearings.
    2021 351MR

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zerk fittings that won't pass grease is a common issue. Search the internet and you find all kinds of remedies including heating them up.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon07 View Post
    This is the brass bushing out of my spring with only 4000 miles. I greased them when I purchased it but could not get to the one behind the drain pipe for the half bath. It had grease on fitting so I assumed it was greased when new. 4000 miles later I greased them again and purchased a 90 for that fitting. That's when I notice a flat spring. Tonight I replaced the spring and found brass bushing already worn out. Looks like it had a little grease but not enough.
    Can I ask where you purchased the upgraded 4000lb springs?

Thanks
    2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
    2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
    2020 Momentum 376THS
    We're both proud USAF Retirees...

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon07 View Post
    I purchased a 90 for my grease gun but would not take grease. I replaced all bushings when I went to 4000lb springs but have a couple that will not take grease even while jacking up and down on springs. I guess I'll just replace the bushings every couple years when I repack bearings.
    The wet bolts are often clocked incorrectly to take grease. You need to lift the trailer by the frame, not springs, to relax the suspension. Then it will take grease unless you have a zerk problem.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Tech View Post
    Can I ask where you purchased the upgraded 4000lb springs?

Thanks
    I purchased from local spring shop $115.00 ea. Dexter part # 072-079-00 For some reason they are about double the price of the 3500lb.
    2021 351MR

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information might try and change the one by the drain pipe but are the threads metric or standard threads? Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be a good start. Mine always leaned about 1/2" low on kitchen side since new. Spring next to drain pipe for 1/2 bath or rear driver side was flat. I installed a new 3500lb and it was flat also. I changed both on kitchen side and left passenger side because they still had good arch. The trailer seems to have good balance now and I've pulled it about 3000 miles and all spring are keeping good arch but the 4000's picked it up a little due to one more leaf and now it leans a little to passenger side. I can't decide if I want to put 4000lbs on that side or just add spacer under leaf to level it out. Maybe a good idea just to change the one and try that.
    2021 351MR