User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

US191/US89 through the Tetons

While planning a trip to Yellowstone, the RV Trip Wizard will reroute me coming from the south around the Tetons to the east entrance of Yellowstone while using RV Routing mode. If Standard Routing is selected, it will send me north on US191/US89 through the Tetons. Does anyone know how the roads are, especially near the north end of Jackson Lake? Thanks!
    John
    US Air Force Retired
    2017 Reflection 315 RLTS
    2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KSCCM10 View Post
    While planning a trip to Yellowstone, the RV Trip Wizard will reroute me coming from the south around the Tetons to the east entrance of Yellowstone while using RV Routing mode. If Standard Routing is selected, it will send me north on US191/US89 through the Tetons. Does anyone know how the roads are, especially near the north end of Jackson Lake? Thanks!
    We drove that route last fall. Went from Colter bay up 191, through Yellowstone to West Yellowstone with our Solitude 310. No real problems. 191 was fine (BEAUTIFUL drive!), except for the road construction around Old Faithful. They detoured us off 191 and through the parking lot and then back onto 191. It was not a problem as it was very slow speed. I do not know if 191 is still under construction in that area. There were a number of pullouts and most people were driving a reasonable speed, with the occasional "people jam" when everyone would stop in the middle of the road to watch animals and the occasional maniac (see George Carlin ) that thought is was the Interstate. Typical in any National Park. Give yourself plenty of time as it is a beautiful drive. Enjoy and do not stress.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 04-23-2021 at 03:46 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only routes into YNP/GTNP not recommended for RV's are Beartooth Hwy on the northeast, and Teton Pass (WY-22) as a shortcut to Jackson Hole. Fine for cars and B's but anything bigger or wider should stick to the US numbered highways.
    Last edited by Lane Hog; 04-23-2021 at 04:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris and Lane Hog, thanks for the replies. I live in Kansas so everything here is not necessarily flat but not much of a state with severe grades. I have lots of experience mountain driving, just none pulling a heavy trailer. Your comments have made my trip planning easier and more relaxed. According to the elevation chart in Google Earth Pro, the maximum grades are +/- 6.5% and appear to be only for a short distances. Thanks again.
    John
    US Air Force Retired
    2017 Reflection 315 RLTS
    2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn