User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

X-Track, E-Track, ??-Track on garage walls

I'm hoping for some advice here - I need to install some X-Track (similar to E-Track) on the walls of my Momentum.

I have plans for multiple activities with my 349M that involve motorcycles and bicycles along with rolling tool chests, storage cabinets, gear hangers, and the stuff like that.

I already have a BoltItOn system to handle the 2 wheeled contraptions, and I want to be able to secure the toolbox(es), store chemicals, gear, spare parts, wheels/tires, etc. in a way that I can reconfigure it for roadracing, dirt riding, and recreational bicycling.

Finally - my question - I'm going to mount the X-Track horizontally (parallel to the floor surface) on as many walls as possible. Has someone done this and, if so, do you have stud location finding & fastener suggestions?

Any ideas would be really cool! TIA!
    signature

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    I'm hoping for some advice here - I need to install some X-Track (similar to E-Track) on the walls of my Momentum.

I have plans for multiple activities with my 349M that involve motorcycles and bicycles along with rolling tool chests, storage cabinets, gear hangers, and the stuff like that.

I already have a BoltItOn system to handle the 2 wheeled contraptions, and I want to be able to secure the toolbox(es), store chemicals, gear, spare parts, wheels/tires, etc. in a way that I can reconfigure it for roadracing, dirt riding, and recreational bicycling.

Finally - my question - I'm going to mount the X-Track horizontally (parallel to the floor surface) on as many walls as possible. Has someone done this and, if so, do you have stud location finding & fastener suggestions?

Try contacting Grand Design and explain what you are doing. They were very helpful with my requests and sent me the framing drawings which showed the "studs" as well as the reinforcing/mounting plates (and other details) in my kitchen wall. Their only request (which I still honor) is not to share the drawings.

Good luck

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Try contacting Grand Design and explain what you are doing.
    Outstanding! Thank you much for that pointer. I'll let you know if I hear back from them.
    signature

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outstanding! Thank you much for that pointer. I'll let you know if I hear back from them.

Good luck. One tip, I have found most GD support people to be very helpful if asked nicely, but there is the occasional one that just can't be bothered. If I get the latter and I can wait, I just call back in few days and hope to get a different person.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed E-track down each wall of my 385TH. I did it mostly for securing chairs to the walls. I was able to hit several "studs" but didn't worry about every one since the tracks won't be carrying and real weight. 6 years now and nothing has loosened or pulled away from the wall. I definitely wouldn't secure toys or anything very top heavy. I used 1" cap screws.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e track.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	33617
    Last edited by JCR GD; 04-24-2021 at 08:31 AM.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Following this, as I will be using our 395MS (on order) for very similar purposes.

Hos many bikes are you typically hauling with your bolt-it-on system? I have been considering adapting Pitbull TRS plates into mine, but at different times, maybe hauling different numbers and types of bikes, including the possibility of a bigger touring bike or similar for street use. The bolt-it-on system has a lot of flexibility and does not require any permanent mods to the trailer floor, which is good. Also when removed will not leave any tripping hazards.

But still trying to think about overall best options.

E Track or similar on the walls is also part of my plans for rollaways, etc.
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum
    2019 Starcraft Mossy Oak 26BH - Getting ready to sell!
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
    Following this, as I will be using our 395MS (on order) for very similar purposes.
    Awesome! I think we'll have about the same type of garage if you opted for the 2nd bathroom.

Hos many bikes are you typically hauling with your bolt-it-on system?
    I have three use cases I'm planning on:
    • Roadrace events - 2 Ducatis, 1 Kawasaki 300, pit bicycle
    • Dirt/Rally events - 2-3 250-500cc dirt bikes
    • Trail inventory work - 3-4 250-500cc dirt bikes, 2 mountain bikes

I really like the PitBull equipment, but I needed a lot of flexibility in what I carry, so the BoltItOn seem to be the best way to go for me. I've only used it for 1 roadrace event, and it worked wonderfully.
    I also want to carry my road bicycle/Zwift/Wahoo Kickr with me, but I can fit that in around other things.
    I have been considering adapting Pitbull TRS plates into mine, but at different times, maybe hauling different numbers and types of bikes, including the possibility of a bigger touring bike or similar for street use.
    I think the BoltItOn would be able to stabilize a big tourer just fine. I think there area others on this forum that have done that.
    E Track or similar on the walls is also part of my plans for rollaways, etc.
    Exactly! For temporary, I had to mount a couple of drawer pulls on the wall next to the interior door to hold my rollaway box in place. I want to do something like this - https://youtu.be/rffWx6VRA8c

I'm planning on 2 parallel horizontal runs of of X-Track (which I think is a little more flexible than the E-Track) on as many wall areas as I can to secure gear, supplies, etc.

I'll definitely post up what I find. I already emailed to Grand Design requesting some info on structural members in the garage.
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 04-24-2021 at 11:02 PM.
    signature

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too did our Solitude's garage with a bit of e-track. There are not very many studs, but I found a few. KEN

Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll definitely post up what I find. I already emailed to Grand Design requesting some info on structural members in the garage.
    Well, that was fast. Grand Design wrote back to me this morning and provided the structural blueprints for the exterior walls of my unit. Pretty cool! (It'd be cooler if I had a background in construction and could read them better, but I think I can manage).

As I add railings, I'll continue to post up here (with photos) on my progress ..
    signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks great. We have a 381m coming in shortly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast