User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    Well, that was fast. Grand Design wrote back to me this morning and provided the structural blueprints for the exterior walls of my unit. Pretty cool! (It'd be cooler if I had a background in construction and could read them better, but I think I can manage).

As I add railings, I'll continue to post up here (with photos) on my progress ..
    That is great news. At this point I guess I will wait until our trailer is built, and then ask for the info.

Right now FBP is looking like 12 weeks, so we probably won't get our unit until Mid August at best. Looks like I have plenty of time to figure out my tie-down situation!

On the Bolt-It-On setup, anyone have any experience with using the "cruiser style" wheel holders? They appear to have a drive-on cradle to hold the bike up, which would be very useful for when I am by myself loading/unloading. Would those work ok for sport/track bikes? Says the tire width range is ok.
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum
    2019 Starcraft Mossy Oak 26BH - Getting ready to sell!
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
    That is great news. At this point I guess I will wait until our trailer is built, and then ask for the info.

Right now FBP is looking like 12 weeks, so we probably won't get our unit until Mid August at best. Looks like I have plenty of time to figure out my tie-down situation!

On the Bolt-It-On setup, anyone have any experience with using the "cruiser style" wheel holders? They appear to have a drive-on cradle to hold the bike up, which would be very useful for when I am by myself loading/unloading. Would those work ok for sport/track bikes? Says the tire width range is ok.
    In my picture above you can see my Lock N Load Motorcycle Wheel Chock.
    I got the BK-1000 Lock N Load Deluxe Wheel Chock Combo. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
    I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but here is one of my racebikes on the roll on wheel holder from BoltItOn. It works great.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210409_121145.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	33763
    signature

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I dummied up the location where I'm going to mount the X-Track. I took an idea from screamingeagle's post about his cabinet and planned on leveraging the HappiJack rail mounts.

I didn't want to put the X-Track directly against the wallboard so I found some flexible 1/8" thick plastic lining material the exact width I needed. It's called garden edging.

Here's the edging cut and placed where I'm going to put the track. Next I need to make a couple of backing plates for under the HappiJack track and for the corner and cut the X-track to the right lengths. I'm going to do my best to use matching (black) hardware so it looks half way decent.

Name:	20210501_175916.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	33841
    signature

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following too

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what size screws did you use to fasten the etrac to the wall/studs

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finished the X-track on the walls yesterday.

First, I took some advice from screamineagle on this post about his cabinet in his 395 and cut some 1/8" sheet steel to use behind the HappiJack tracks as mounting supports. In this picture, the sheet steel is behind the track and showing on the left. It's behind the plastic lining on the right.

Name:	20210519_150750.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	34258

The idea is that the HappiJack track is a solid support and I ran the sheet steel outside both sides of the track to support X-track on either side. I also created single sided sheet steel pieces for where I wasn't going to run X-track on both sides.

Here's where I mounted some track on the passenger side of the garage. I used an extra screw to mount the plate inside of the track for stability, then here I have one (of the two) screws mounting the track showing. I have the couch lowered here to make sure I didn't create an interference problem with either the extra track screw, the steel plate behind. or with the X-track itself.

Name:	20210520_102247.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	34259

As to what screws I used, for the extra screws in the HappiJack track to mount the sheet steel behind, I used the same screws as Grand Design did to mount the HJ track. For mounting the X-Track onto the sheet steel, I used some self tapping screws with a finer thread for more strength. I wanted the same heads, though, for a little bit of a cleaner look.

Name:	20210520_111621.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	34260

I used a stud finder, a long finishing nail, and a little hammer tapping to find the studs for extra mounting holes. (I didn't find the Grand Design blueprints all that useful since I didn't know the reference points from which they measured stuff - and I'm not a construction person - so .. )

Here's the mostly finished setup. The X-track is on both sides under the HappiJack and extended to the bathroom on the driver's side. I added a PitPosse supply cabinet to the wall since I really like having my motorcycle supplies handy for racing, riding or working. Finally, I'm using a couple of BoltItOn configurations for the various 2 wheeled devices I want to carry. I ran out of X-track so the toolbox is secured to the wall with a couple of stupid/temporary drawer pull handles and tiedowns. I'll probably run another length of X-track along that wall in the future.

Name:	20210520_114720.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	34261

Finally, here's a pretty close to completed version of the garage. All of the mods are:

• 40" TCL TV with securing pin instead of stupid strap
    • PitPosse supply cabinet with folding work table
    • Temporary pull handles to secure rolling toolbox (X-track coming)
    • BoltItOn system for various motorcycle/bicycle holding
    • X-track along the walls for cargo securing

I took some black spray paint to the new screw heads so they'd kind of match the existing screws in the HappiJack tracks.

Name:	20210520_152551.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	34262

I want to use the space above the window (like screamineagle) and where the original cabinet is above the door for more practical and efficient storage of light items. I'm still thinking about what to do there, so any ideas would be appreciated.
    signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great post! Lots of useful info! I just bought a 2017 328m and am moving myself, my 2017 KTM 300, 2022 KTM 500 and my pup! I have a 52” husky (Home Depot) Rolling tool chest I’m hoping to secure to the front wall….

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12