Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery disconnect switch while plugged in to 50 amp post

Should the 12V battery disconnect switch be turned ON or OFF while plugged into 50 amp service for long periods of time. How is the battery affected?
    Thanks for your clarification.
    2021 Solitude 373FB
    Wife-Barb
    Standard Poodle-Kate
    No Truck
    C7 Corvette

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackoo View Post
    Should the 12V battery disconnect switch be turned ON or OFF while plugged into 50 amp service for long periods of time. How is the battery affected?
    ON.....if you want your battery or batteries to stay charged up. Turning it off will cause the charging part of the converter to no be able supply charging voltage to the battery. I leave mine plugged in 24/7 and the only time it isn't, is if I'm working on something that I need to have the shore power off, or when I'm in transit to a site.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your explanation.
    2021 Solitude 373FB
    Wife-Barb
    Standard Poodle-Kate
    No Truck
    C7 Corvette

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your explanation.
    You're welcome. And just so you know, the battery charging part of the converter does provide "trickle" charging so no worries about overcharging or burning up the battery or batteries. Having said that....You STILL need to maintain the batteries if they are the FLA (Flooded Lead Acid) type batteries. That would be the kind that you need to add distilled water to, and keep the water level topped off so that that they do not become "dry".
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It needs to be ON for batteries to charge and 12v systems to work. It also needs to be On in transit for battery to charge off of TV. Mine is ON all the time. For winter storage I pull a battery cable as there are still parasitic draws when disconnect switch is off such as propane detectors and other stuff.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information. I need to make a hour trip to turn the switch back on. On page 92 of the 2021 Solitude Owners Manual, it states that when auxiliary power is not needed, turn the battery disconnect switch to the OFF position and remove the key. All 12-volt safety items will remain operational. When you are ready to use your RV's interior features, replace the disconnect switch to the ON position. What I found confusing is that the disconnect switch needed to be turned on for the trickle charger to work. The manual does not make mention of the trickle charger feature. On page 88 it states that if the converter is not working properly, the auxiliary battery will not be charging.
    2021 Solitude 373FB
    Wife-Barb
    Standard Poodle-Kate
    No Truck
    C7 Corvette

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Powerscol.
    2021 Solitude 373FB