Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 GMC 3500HD Denali and B&W RVK3710 Hitch?

I installed B&W RVK3710 Companion in my 2021 GMC Denali with standard bed. I love this truck. I believe the cameras will really be helpful. I set the hitch at the lowest setting and this gives 6" of clearance between the bed rails and bottom of cap. Set the hitch to be 3.5" behind axle. I had a Patriot slider hitch in my 2016 Silverado and never had need to use it so I went with the Companion non slider. Seems to be plenty of cab to front cap clearance. The dealer installed the Patriot hitch in the 2016 Silverado so I never really paid attention to clearance dimensions. I wish I had. I measured my bed rails and they are 21". The distance from the bed bottom to the bottom of pin box and frame connection measures 21". In a tight turn looks like they can meet and damage truck. How much clearance do I need between bed rail and pin box? I could raise the hitch one to two inches but this will decrease clearance at the tailgate. I'm a novice when it comes to hitches. So any suggestions? I saw someone mention you can change the pivot point by changing the pin box. I believe you have to install a wedge. If tha'ts the solution which one do I need? Always great info and advice on this forum.
    2020 Solitude 2930RL
    2021 GMC Denali 3500HD Standard Bed
    B&W RVK3710 Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I measured my bed rails and they are 21". The distance from the bed bottom to the bottom of pin box and frame connection measures 21". In a tight turn looks like they can meet and damage truck. How much clearance do I need between bed rail and pin box? I could raise the hitch one to two inches but this will decrease clearance at the tailgate. I'm a novice when it comes to hitches. So any suggestions? I saw someone mention you can change the pivot point by changing the pin box. I believe you have to install a wedge. If tha'ts the solution which one do I need? Always great info and advice on this forum.[/QUOTE]

I picked up my 2021 GMC 3500 AT4 today. It's also the standard bed. I pick up the hitch tomorrow. It's the same hitch you have.
    So, I am very interested in your concern about hitting the truck. But, I don't understand your measurements.
    Is the bed rail measurement from the bottom of the bed to the top of the rails?
    What is the other measurement and where will it hit on the truck?
    What trailer do you have? I pull a 303rls and just from looking at it and recalling how it worked in my 2019 GMC 3500, I can't envision the problem. The hitch on my last truck sat 17" off of the bed to the landing areas for the pin and I was going to try that first. The trailer measures 11 1/2" from the pin plate to the underside of the trailer so that would leave about 7 1/2" above the rails. One reason I bought the Companion was the ability to move the hitch back which I intend to do as you did.
    Thanks

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rrlowen View Post
    I measured my bed rails and they are 21". The distance from the bed bottom to the bottom of pin box and frame connection measures 21". In a tight turn looks like they can meet and damage truck. How much clearance do I need between bed rail and pin box? I could raise the hitch one to two inches but this will decrease clearance at the tailgate. I'm a novice when it comes to hitches. So any suggestions? I saw someone mention you can change the pivot point by changing the pin box. I believe you have to install a wedge. If tha'ts the solution which one do I need? Always great info and advice on this forum.
    I picked up my 2021 GMC 3500 AT4 today. It's also the standard bed. I pick up the hitch tomorrow. It's the same hitch you have.
    So, I am very interested in your concern about hitting the truck. But, I don't understand your measurements.
    What trailer do you have? I pull a 303rls and just from looking at it and recalling how it worked in my 2019 GMC 3500, I can't envision the problem. The hitch on my last truck sat 17" off of the bed to the landing areas for the pin and I was going to try that first. The trailer measures 11 1/2" from the pin plate to the underside of the trailer so that would leave about 7 1/2" above the rails. One reason I bought the Companion was the ability to move the hitch back which I intend to do as you did.
    Thanks[/QUOTE]

I have a 2020 Solitude 2930RL. I measure 21" from the bottom of the bed to the top of the bed rails. I measure 21" from the bottom of the bed to the bottom of the fifth wheel frame where the pin box attaches. I am concerned that in a wide turn being they are the same height the pin box frame connection can hit the bed rails. I never noticed in my previous truck if pin box/frame connection was higher then bed rail height. I have 6" of clearance between top of bed rail and bottom of trailer. Hope this helps. I just had surgery so laid up for for a few days. I need to take a measurement from the center of the king pin to the back of the pin box frame connection. The truck bed measures 62" wide so as long as the measurement is less then half at 31" they wont hit.
    2020 Solitude 2930RL
    B&W RVK3710 Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fam5mel View Post
    Thanks
    I have a 2020 Solitude 2930RL. I measure 21" from the bottom of the bed to the top of the bed rails. I measure 21" from the bottom of the bed to the bottom of the fifth wheel frame where the pin box attaches. I am concerned that in a wide turn being they are the same height the pin box frame connection can hit the bed rails. I never noticed in my previous truck if pin box/frame connection was higher then bed rail height. I have 6" of clearance between top of bed rail and bottom of trailer. Hope this helps. I just had surgery so laid up for for a few days. I need to take a measurement from the center of the king pin to the back of the pin box frame connection. The truck bed measures 62" wide so as long as the measurement is less then half at 31" they wont hit.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that information. I think it should be OK but I am now more aware of the possibility.
    I measured my trailer. It's about 9" clearance at 31" back from the center of the king pin.
    It looks to be very similar to my previous truck. Over the next few days I will hook mine up and see what it does.
    Right now it's -15F here so that limits outside activities. Should warm up by the weekend.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rrlowen View Post
    I have a 2020 Solitude 2930RL. I measure 21" from the bottom of the bed to the top of the bed rails. I measure 21" from the bottom of the bed to the bottom of the fifth wheel frame where the pin box attaches. I am concerned that in a wide turn being they are the same height the pin box frame connection can hit the bed rails. I never noticed in my previous truck if pin box/frame connection was higher then bed rail height. I have 6" of clearance between top of bed rail and bottom of trailer. Hope this helps. I just had surgery so laid up for for a few days. I need to take a measurement from the center of the king pin to the back of the pin box frame connection. The truck bed measures 62" wide so as long as the measurement is less then half at 31" they wont hit.
    Thanks for that information. I think it should be OK but I am now more aware of the possibility.
    I measured my trailer. It's about 9" clearance at 31" back from the center of the king pin.
    It looks to be very similar to my previous truck. Over the next few days I will hook mine up and see what it does.
    Right now it's -15F here so that limits outside activities. Should warm up by the weekend.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reply and hope your clearances work out for you. Could you let me know what the height from bottom of bed to bottom of pin box frame connection ends up being? Curious to know if it sits above or below bed rails. Intend to hook ours up when I'm able to. Congratulations on the new truck. Love mine. I went with the Denali because no AT4's available. Awesome trucks.
    2020 Solitude 2930RL
    B&W RVK3710 Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now it's -15F here so that limits outside activities. Should warm up by the weekend.
    Thanks for reply and hope your clearances work out for you. Could you let me know what the height from bottom of bed to bottom of pin box frame connection ends up being? Curious to know if it sits above or below bed rails. Intend to hook ours up when I'm able to. Congratulations on the new truck. Love mine. I went with the Denali because no AT4's available. Awesome trucks.[/QUOTE]

I set the Companion hitch at mid-point which is 18" off the bed to the top plate, well under the bed rails. I have a tonneau cover so that keeps the hitch protected when not towing.
    When I hooked up, the trailer was low on the back by 3/4" but the truck and trailer are not fully loaded so I am pretty sure it will be level when all is done. I didn't try a sharp turn due to too much snow here right now so no answer on how it clears the bed rails.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I share your concerns as I am about to buy a hitch for my 2020 GMC 3500 Denali that has the same 21-inch-deep bed. I will be towing a Grand Design Reflection 29RS. The challenge is striking a balance with cab clearances in a 90-degree turn, tailgate clearance, bed side rail clearance and keep the trailer near level while towing. My comments below are based on measurements, not visual observation.
    The kingpin on a GD29RS is a Lippert 1621, I suspect the GD303 uses the same kingpin. In my case, the problem is that at a kingpin height needed to allow near level towing it appears the king pin frame would be very close to rubbing the tail gate, and in a 90-degree turn rubbing the bed side rail(s) along with having inadequate cab clearance. Using a sliding hitch would alleviate the cab clearance problem but creates a need to remove or replace the tail gate. If the tailgate is removed the tailgate camera must be unplugged and when unplugged the other cameras will not function. [Lesson learned if you close the tail gate and do not have clearance to close the mid gate, you cannot open the tailgate; the midgate must be closed for the electric tailgate releases to work. There is no manual release.]
    The distance from the middle of the puck system to the cab is 43 inches and even setting a B&W Companion hitch back three inches, it is still short of the 48” clearance needed to make a 90 degree turn without cab to trailer contact.
    From a leveling perspective, the bottom of the truck bed unloaded is 38” with the side rail top at 59”. On a 29RS the king pin slide is approximately 49” high at level (unloaded) which makes the gap from bottom of bed to king pin slide is 11”. Using the B&W minimum height of 17”, there would need to be approximately 6” of suspension squat needed when the trailer is lowered onto the hitch to achieve near level towing. That level of squat may or may not be achievable.
    I am leaning toward replacing the 1621 kingpin with a Reese Sidewinder Airborne and purchasing a Curt A series hitch. The Sidewinder will provide the clearances for the cab, side rails and probably the tailgate although the midgate may need to be open. It will raise the nose of the trailer by three additional inches so I expect the B&W hitch would be too high even at its lowest 17” setting to achieve level towing. The Curt hitch adjusts in a 13-17” range which should allow room to lower the kingpin sufficiently to level the trailer. The Sidewinder does require a wedge to restrict turning at the fifth wheel, so the pivot point moves back to the pin box frame at the trailer.
    If anyone can give me insight on how much suspension squat might occur when lowering the trailer to the truck, I would appreciate it.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If anyone can give me insight on how much suspension squat might occur when lowering the trailer to the truck, I would appreciate it.[/QUOTE]"

I have a 2021 AT4 which I think will be the same as your Denali.
    The squat with a 303rls is about 1.5" with nothing in the truck except the hitch and a loaded trailer.
    It will probably drop a bit more when I load the truck with another 400 lbs. or so. I run with about 2500 lbs. on the rear axle.
    I calculate that I will be 1" to 1.5" high from level at the king pin with the pin as sent from the factory. Is that even noticeable?
    There are no interferences with tailgate or bed rails but I could not do a full 90 degree turn which is OK with me - I don't like to force the trailer wheels that far.
    That seems reasonable but if it becomes an issue I can always raise the king pin an inch.
    The only difference I see from your measurements is that my trailer measures 52" from ground to king pin plate when level.
    Shouldn't this work for your situation as well?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to get out and hitch our Solitude 2930 to our new 2021 3500 Denali. I have adequate clearance between tailgate, cab and front cap and bed rails. I measured 3" of squat when hitched to the B&W Companion hitch. I had to re adjust my hitch to the mid height position which sits at 18". This gave me 7" of bedrail to bottom of fifth wheel clearance. I cant make a full 90 degree turn but I dont think this will be an issue. I have more cab clearance with this truck then my 2016 Silverado and never had any issues. Debating if I should add the GM rear view camera. Anyone done that. I love the cameras on the truck and the light check feature. Still learning all the bells and whistles. I notice that towing with the Companion hitch I hear a clunking noise every now and then. Is that what they call chucking? I ask because I never had any noise with my B&W Patriot slider hitch in my 2016 Silverado. Overall pleased with with this setup.
    2020 Solitude 2930RL
    B&W RVK3710 Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to get out and hitch our Solitude 2930 to our new 2021 3500 Denali. I have adequate clearance between tailgate, cab and front cap and bed rails. I measured 3" of squat when hitched to the B&W Companion hitch. I had to re adjust my hitch to the mid height position which sits at 18". This gave me 7" of bedrail to bottom of fifth wheel clearance. I cant make a full 90 degree turn but I dont think this will be an issue. I have more cab clearance with this truck then my 2016 Silverado and never had any issues. Debating if I should add the GM rear view camera. Anyone done that. I love the cameras on the truck and the light check feature. Still learning all the bells and whistles. I notice that towing with the Companion hitch I hear a clunking noise every now and then. Is that what they call chucking? I ask because I never had any noise with my B&W Patriot slider hitch in my 2016 Silverado. Overall pleased with with this setup.
    fam5mel: Your towing configuration is exactly what I ended up with. It works well with the new GMC trucks.
    Regarding the "see-through" camera, others have reported that it doesn't work with the longer trailers (over 30 ft.) and there would still be the problem of routing the cable back to the truck. I was going to order one but now I will just stick with the Furrion camera I have now. I had to re-wire the Furrion camera because apparently the new trucks from GM send a pulsated 12V feed to the trailer which doesn't work with the cameras. Mine didn't work using the truck's power so I wired it into the trailer's 12V system with a switch and it works fine now. Lippert is working on an adapter to sort out this power feed problem but rather than wait for that, I just re-wired it. I also have side cameras which don't work but re-wiring them looks a lot more difficult so I will wait for the adapter to use them.
    These new GM trucks are amazing!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast