User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    "Murvil", TN
    Posts
    1,354
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    An Excellent Combination for Maint of Axles.....

    So my two year old Momentum, with only about 5500 miles on it, is going to get a little Maint. love this spring. We are going to make a long trip out west this late summer/early fall and I want to be totally prepared....plus, with it being two years old, I will just feel more comfortable knowing that everything is OK on the wheel bearings. So, instead of my normal etrailer parts ordering, I ordered these bearing seals and then some Lucas brand Red N Tacky to do the maint. with. I found out that the seals that are available at etrailer were made in China, and I wasn't as comfortable with them as I will be with Dexter OEM parts for the 7K axles on the trailer....

    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M....Got it!
    2019 Can Am Spyder RT
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

    "If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

  2. #2
    Big Traveler
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    1,256
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazingly, my local Carquest carries high quality, US-made seals for my rig. Very nice if you are in a hurry.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

  3. #3
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    "Murvil", TN
    Posts
    1,354
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Amazingly, my local Carquest carries high quality, US-made seals for my rig. Very nice if you are in a hurry.
    I'm not in a big hurry, but the price for the OEM Dexter, combined with being made in the U.S.....plus the unbelievable fast shipping just totalled a Winner! I ordered the seals on Tuesday, and they were here Wed. Now that isn't a huge deal except....the seals were in CA....and I'm in the Knoxville, TN area. And that....is just incredibly fast shipping times.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M....Got it!
    2019 Can Am Spyder RT
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

    "If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

  4. #4
    Seasoned Camper dryfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    437
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I'm not in a big hurry, but the price for the OEM Dexter, combined with being made in the U.S.....plus the unbelievable fast shipping just totalled a Winner! I ordered the seals on Tuesday, and they were here Wed. Now that isn't a huge deal except....the seals were in CA....and I'm in the Knoxville, TN area. And that....is just incredibly fast shipping times.
    I recently replaced all my bearings (1 year old trailer) with Timken U.S. made bearings. It was the first time I had use the Lucas red grease. That is some great stuff!! You will be happy.

    Strangely, I have always avoided the Chinese bearings but have used whatever quality seal I could find. I'm sure they were made in China. I change them out every 2 years when I do bearing maintenance, and have never had an issue. Next time I will look for the Dexter OEM replacements.
    2020 Reflection 273MK
    '05 Dodge 2500 CTD

  5. #5
    Seasoned Camper DECelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Bethany Beach, DE
    Posts
    174
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    So my two year old Momentum, with only about 5500 miles on it, is going to get a little Maint. love this spring. We are going to make a long trip out west this late summer/early fall and I want to be totally prepared....plus, with it being two years old, I will just feel more comfortable knowing that everything is OK on the wheel bearings. So, instead of my normal etrailer parts ordering, I ordered these bearing seals and then some Lucas brand Red N Tacky to do the maint. with. I found out that the seals that are available at etrailer were made in China, and I wasn't as comfortable with them as I will be with Dexter OEM parts for the 7K axles on the trailer....

    Make sure to watch the Dexter axle video on bearing repacking. I was very surprised to see the use of Red rtv gasket compound on the rear seals.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2017 Ford F-350 SRW diesel

  6. #6
    Big Traveler geotex1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    Make sure to watch the Dexter axle video on bearing repacking. I was very surprised to see the use of Red rtv gasket compound on the rear seals.
    It's actually tricky business to use the form-a-gasket properly so you don't end up with it in the hub and fouling the bearings. This was a step Dexter took because of the EZ lubes. Don't use them, and won't need it for quality made double lip grease seals IMO.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

    Mountains of Pennsylvania

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.