User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my, lots of questions foe one thread. You've got great advise thus far. Here's my 2 cents.
    1. Using the Hensley Hitch. Too expensive but users that have one seems to like it but unless you are close too or over your capacities I think it's over kill because of the added weight and price. There's great wdh at or less the $1000.

2. Issues/Tips towing a “rear heavy” larger TT. You'll be fine, GD are well balanced and your wdh will help you. Once you get your tt, empty the fw tank and hit a CAT scale on your way home. Then load it for a trip and hit the scale again. This will help you tweak your wdh adjustments and the way you load the tt.

3. Maintenance issues with TT. No issues. Clean, wash, wax, inspect the roof, window seals regularly. Inspect the tires before each tow and check pressure. Follow the recommended maintenance like the bearings.

4. Pre Delivery issues/inspection advice. Take your time and check and try EVERYTHING. There's actually a few detailed check list on this forum. Just do a search and you should find it. If not then pm me.

5. Use/Need of air bags. Try out the tt first. Then after a few trips you'll know what you'll need. I doubt you'll need them with your TV.

6. Stock TT tires and need to replace with “quality” tires. Keep them at the recommended cold pressure. Get a good TPMS and inspect them before each tow and you'll be fine. The West Lakes load E got a bad reputation a little while back. We kept ours and so did many without any issues. If you are going to replace them, then a popular brand ID the GY Endurance.

7. Tips to improve trailer stabilization when parked. Try it out first and go from there. Stabilizers extended past 50% start losing effectiveness. This will depend where you're parked. Most of us will carry wood planks for this. There are tons of products out there. Strong Arm, X Chokes... are popular but like I said, try it out first and go from there.

8. Anything else is fair game. A good TPMS and EMS right off the bat.

Good luck and Welcome to the group. Congrats on your new TT.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the Hensley hitch and love it. We feel that it is worth every penny that we spent on it. Yes, its expensive, but so was my trailer and 2018 Ram 2500 CTD. Hensley hitches also hold their value well and I've never seen a used one selling for less than $1000. So you will be able to recoup some of your investment if you upgrade to a 5th wheel or stop RVing someday. This hitch (along with ProPride) uses a patented linkage design that truly does eliminate sway. Once installed on the trailer it will no longer pivot on the ball as with other hitches, all turning is done with the linkage. They (Hensley and ProPride hitches) transfer the pivot point of the trailer up to the rear axle on the TV. This makes the trailer handle a lot like a fifth wheel. There are lots of videos out there on how the hitches work that you should watch. The Hensley and ProPride (also a great hitch) are similar in design and were both designed by Jim Hensely. We've towed almost 8000 miles with it, through storms, on very windy days and we've not had any sway issues at all. It also handles well in panic situations. While towing thru PA in the right lane, doing about 65 mph we were cut off by someone exiting the freeway from the far left lane. It literally forced me to slam on brakes and swerve off the freeway on to the shoulder and up the exit ramp. The trailer stayed right behind us, without any issues at all. Unfortunately, that wasn't the only time we've been cut off by obnoxious careless drivers, so be ready for that.

If you do purchase a Hensley or possibly ProPride hitch, I would also suggest that you also purchase Hensely's Hitch Helper. It costs $35 and with it you can easily move the nose of the trailer 6 inches to either side. This makes hitching up a lot easier. The Hitch Helper would work with any hitch.

Hitching up with the Hensley Arrow does have a bit of a leaning curve to it. The angle of hitch bar (on the TV) must align with angle of the hitch box on the trailer. They must be the same angle to hitch up properly. Initially, we found it difficult to see if they were aligned properly. This was especially difficult when hitching up on uneven ground. So to help with this I made an exact sized wooden replica of the hitch bar (shown below). Below is a pic of it next to my real hitch bar. I made it the exact size of the 2"x2" Hitch bar and even included wedges on it like the real one. When hitching up, we slide the wooden hitch bar into the hitch, then back up the truck with the real hitch bar attached to it, towards the trailer. Then we can easily see it they are aligned or not. If off, we adjust the jack screws on the hitch evenly, so the two hitch bars (wooden and real) have the same angle. Then we remove the wooden hitch bar. Using the Hitch Helper we move the nose of the trailer right or left and tongue jack up of down so the hitch bar aligns perfectly with the hitch box on the trailer. Then we back the truck up and hitch bar easily slides right in. Then we follow the rest of the hitch up procedure. We now can hitch up easily in just a few minutes.

Below is a pic of my alignment jig inserted into the hitch box. When hitching I back up and I'm easily able to see that both are on the same angle.

If you would like any more info on hitching and unhitching, just send me a PM and I'll answer.

Bob
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 04-25-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NEVER EVER be in a hurry. Don't let anyone get you into a hurry. Do what you are doing without any distractions. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BeerBrewer, what a great idea! You should sell these!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Using the Hensley Hitch
    Great move, I upgraded to a fifth wheel to get rid of trailer sway. It was very troublesome to me. Had we gone with another travel trailer, that hitch or the Pro pride would have been a necessary purchase.

2. Issues/Tips towing a “rear heavy” larger TT
    Don't it will introduce sway. But based on what you have said I do not think you will have any problem with a F250 and that trailer. I doubt you will even notice the difference between a rear kitchen and non-rear kitchen if you had a chance to pull them.

3. Maintenance issues with TT
    Nothing different than your previous TT

4. Pre Delivery issues/inspection advice
    This is really dealer dependent. Some do a really good job, some do a poor job. But my advice is to video everything the person says. Our last PDI for our reflection we recorded everything and every demonstration. We referred back to them a few times.

5. Use/Need of air bags
    Not needed for the weight of your trailer and the truck you have...

6. Stock TT tires and need to replace with “quality” tires
    I had the Westlake (china bombs) on my travel trailer for six years and pulled from BR to Orlando and back and many different trips. No problems ever. But I have see many people have issues. I currently have Westlake tires on my Reflection but about to upgrade to Goodyear for a trip to Orlando. If you are doing long and frequent trips, I would change the tires. If you are a continued weekend warrior, you can probably keep the Westlakes for a while. But, I think GD is starting to put Goodyear on their RVs. now.

7. Tips to improve trailer stabilization when parked

Pack heavy on in front of axle and do not overload. Pretty common sense advice but I see a lot of weird things in RV parks.

8. Anything else is fair game

Have fun and enjoy the time in the outdoors! It is why we do it.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TPMS Absolutely. EMS also important based on the level of electronics on board and the cost of repair. I'll be honest, get on Youtube but stick to the dedicated tubers that have developed their channels and RV full time. (Changing Lanes, Keep your Daydream to name a few). A ton of great information, resources and advice.

Also, as was stated earlier, head to a CAT scale and get the rig weighed. Thats the only way to make sure it's balanced within your TV specs.

Good luck and see you down the road!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcl1jw View Post
    Took a wrong turn one time and pulled into an empty church parking lot. Looked left, looked right, no traffic and slowly pulled into the lot. Next thing my wife and I heard a noise thinking I ran over a curb, nope. Should have looked up since they had a bar 11' 2" up and took out the air conditioner and put a small cut in the roof. Glad we were going slow. No warning of any kind about low clearance and it was our first time going away for the winter. So lesson is look left, look right AND look up. 😃
    Yes look UP.
    I took out a basketball rim that was sticking out into the street. Luckily for me only scratched the awning support.
    The rim didn't fare so good.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12