User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie Looking for everyone’s best advice

Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum and looking for any and all advice from the group on any lessons learned, pit falls, things to avoid, mistakes made etc. using/towing a Grand Design. We have a GC Imagine 2670MK on order and just bought a new Ford F-250 7.3L XLT ( payload right at 3000 lbs ) and a Hensley Arrow Hitch. We’ve had a 21’ Dutchman Aeorlite for about 5 years and have done quite a bit of weekend camping. I’m interested in advice on:

1. Using the Hensley Hitch
    2. Issues/Tips towing a “rear heavy” larger TT
    3. Maintenance issues with TT
    4. Pre Delivery issues/inspection advice
    5. Use/Need of air bags
    6. Stock TT tires and need to replace with “quality” tires
    7. Tips to improve trailer stabilization when parked
    8. Anything else is fair game

I know there’s a bunch of stuff here and I could search each item individually but thought this might bring out some good advice and input. I read a ton of stuff on the forum, thus the new F-250 and Hensley Hitch so the combined experience/expertise of the group is appreciated

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2 : Don’t! You have to have your weight balanced properly. If you tow light on the tongue, at best it’s an exhausting drive. At worst, it’s much worse.
    #3 : Plenty. Obviously bearings and brakes are key.
    #5:Air bags are mostly to keep your headlights aimed properly. The WDH should take care of the load.
    #6:Maintaining proper air pressure is far, far more critical than COO or brand name. A TPMS is a great investment and gives you peace of mind while driving.
    #8:Get an EMS. Hughes or Progressive, but I like Hughes. Avoiding problems is worth the money.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. I am a little concerned because the 2670MK is a rear kitchen and I understand it has a bit of an issue being rear heavy? Also, what is an EMS?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickandpolly View Post
    Thanks for the input. I am a little concerned because the 2670MK is a rear kitchen and I understand it has a bit of an issue being rear heavy? Also, what is an EMS?
    EMS = electrical management system. Hughes calls theirs, EPO. EMS provides far greater protection than just a surge protector.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5 : You should not need any bags, the trailer is not that heavy for your size truck, and at most, it should squat the rear to almost level.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a good article on surge protection/EMS: https://www.technorv.com/articles/do...rge-protector/

Although Eric prefers the SurgeGuard, primarily because of the connected equipment warranty, I read the fine print, and don’t think it offers any advantage over the PI or Hughes EMS. Personally, I like the Hughes for replaceable surge protection and highest joule rating.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum and looking for any and all advice from the group on any lessons learned, pit falls, things to avoid, mistakes made etc. using/towing a Grand Design. We have a GC Imagine 2670MK on order and just bought a new Ford F-250 7.3L XLT ( payload right at 3000 lbs ) and a Hensley Arrow Hitch. We’ve had a 21’ Dutchman Aeorlite for about 5 years and have done quite a bit of weekend camping. I’m interested in advice on:

1. Using the Hensley Hitch
    2. Issues/Tips towing a “rear heavy” larger TT
    3. Maintenance issues with TT
    4. Pre Delivery issues/inspection advice
    5. Use/Need of air bags
    6. Stock TT tires and need to replace with “quality” tires
    7. Tips to improve trailer stabilization when parked
    8. Anything else is fair game

I know there’s a bunch of stuff here and I could search each item individually but thought this might bring out some good advice and input. I read a ton of stuff on the forum, thus the new F-250 and Hensley Hitch so the combined experience/expertise of the group is appreciated
    4. Check every thing. Do the window shades all work? Do the drawers/doors/windows actually open and close? Do all outlets work (including the ones in the storage bays)? How about all the light switches? All lamps burning? Can you light all burners on the stovetop? Does microwave work? Any scratches/rips/tears in upholstery? Awning open/close? Slides all work correctly? All locks work?

Really..... EVERY. THING.

EDITED TO ADD: Run the water from hookup as well as from the pump. Do all faucets work? How about the recliner(if you have them) does heated seat/massage/foot rest work? How about the AC? Does fridge work as it should (propane? electric? 12V?)?
    Last edited by livinthelife; 04-24-2021 at 12:05 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a wrong turn one time and pulled into an empty church parking lot. Looked left, looked right, no traffic and slowly pulled into the lot. Next thing my wife and I heard a noise thinking I ran over a curb, nope. Should have looked up since they had a bar 11' 2" up and took out the air conditioner and put a small cut in the roof. Glad we were going slow. No warning of any kind about low clearance and it was our first time going away for the winter. So lesson is look left, look right AND look up. 😃

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For item #2 , load all you heaviest stuff as far forward as possible. ie tools, beer, water, etc. Anything light try to load to the back.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an FYI, if you go with Hughes Power Watchdog, buy directly from their site. No tax, free shipping and get 10% off with a coupon code - check out RV Odd Couple or RV Geeks for discount codes. Or PM me and I can send you a code.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast