User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you trust a Pressure Gauge or TPMS reading more?

I filled all four of my RV tires using my Viair 400P using the included tire inflation gun w/gauge to 80 PSI. When my EEZTire TPMS connected to each tire pressure reading, they were a little different. The 4 tires read 74psi,76psi,77psi and 77psi. When I checked them with a certified ANSI accurate gauge, two tires read 78 PSI, one read 80 psi and one read 77 psi. So which readings should I trust? I realize a couple of psi one way or the other doesn't make that much difference but I'd like to have one gauge that I semi-trust.

Sorry I thought I was putting this in the regular General Discussion. Mods, please move this if you feel it should be someplace else.
    Last edited by RobWNY; 04-24-2021 at 10:13 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I trust the gauge over the TPMS, but both are close - within 2 to 5% overall, much like the results you’ve found. My chuck has an ANSI certified 0-100 gauge and as my trailer tires are 65psi, it is a nice mid range on the dial. The gauge has been checked with others and is always close. The TPMS on my truck is a pound or two high on one tire. Not sure I’d worry about a 3% difference. It is the cold to hot difference that matters.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My use of a TPMS is to detect that the pressure is going down, when it shouldn't be. I'm not concerned about it being out a few percent compared to a calibrated gauge.
    If I want accurate tire pressure numbers I will always use a gauge.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    My use of a TPMS is to detect that the pressure is going down, when it shouldn't be. I'm not concerned about it being out a few percent compared to a calibrated gauge.
    If I want accurate tire pressure numbers I will always use a gauge.
    Agree completely, the use of a TPMS will let you know if a tire is losing pressure. another thing it will help to identify is when pressure increases substantially - usually means a tire is running hot.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same experience here with at least 3 different brands of TPMS' over the years. The TPMS doesn't always match the tire pressure gauge readings.

Using a gauge I fill my tires to the same level I want on all 4 and find that the TMPS (currently a TireMinder I-10) is within 2 to 3 pounds of what I put in, and all 4 tires are within 1 PSI as shown on the TMPS.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a DeWalt inflator and if I set it to 81 psi the tires are at 80 psi. I have verified it with a gauge and my Tire Minder TM-77 TPMS. Every so often I will re-verify with a tire gauge.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I'll go with what my certified gauge says and call it good.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry too much over a few percent difference. You'll likely get that much between 2 gauges and the way (angle) you read them at if they are dial gauges.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My gauge is most trusted when standing still.... I that know one device is calibrated with itself vs tiny variations that might exist with four individual sensors.

I do trust my vehicle sensors more than I do an add-on system, because the truck's are tied into the ABS system that monitors each wheel's rotation. As pressure goes down in one tire, it starts to spin slightly faster.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk