Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Exterior Roof

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exterior Roof

The owners manual (2021 MLE) states I have a "Superflex Roof". After some research I believe it is the same as "TPO". Please correct me if I'm wrong. In any event, I have noticed that the skin for lack of better words is "puffed up" and loose around the roof edge in several spots. So, I did some research and found an old post on here that stated that should not happen. Further stating that it eventually caused damage and Grand Design replaced roof. Any help. Thanks.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would call your dealer

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I have. I sent dealership and Grand Design letters via us mail. NO response. I drove to dealership and sent Grand Design letter via certified mail. Inspection is scheduled in August.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
    I have noticed that the skin for lack of better words is "puffed up" and loose around the roof edge in several spots.
    Our roof has looked the same on all three of our Grand Design 5th wheels. It may not look "right" but the TPO roof membrane isn't going anywhere as it's secured around the perimeter.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Solitude 5er looks to have a bubble under it the entire length, all 38 feet of roof line, on the sides and most of the way across the front and back. And various bubbles about 6in to a foot around on the flat part of the roof. I sent pictures to the dealership and they said it was normal. Then I sent them to Grand Design and they said normal. 2,500 miles later and 4 months into a 12 month road trip the front of the TPO roof started peeling off. Grand Design is covering it under warranty when we got back, it's been at the dealership now for 6 months, they weren't to happy with me for using flex tape to hold it together, but I could not find the correct roof tape. I just wonder how much snow and rain got under it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    ...the TPO roof started peeling off.
    Did it start peeling off at the front edge?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It pulled out from under the front cap. It looked like the bubbles at the edge of the cap and seam tape rippled in the wind while driving and eventually pulled the roofing material out from underneath the cap and tape.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    It pulled out from under the front cap. It looked like the bubbles at the edge of the cap and seam tape rippled in the wind while driving and eventually pulled the roofing material out from underneath the cap and tape.
    Man, I'm really sorry to hear that. That would make me sick. I've spent a lot of time on my roof with various projects and I always check the front edge seam just because I've read of a couple people who experienced what you have. Mine has a huge glob of sealant all along the leading edge - like 5"-6" wide.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a good friend that used to own a RV dealership (he sold it a few years ago). He is convinced that a lot of the problem with roofs bubbling up are from air getting in through the front cap at the pin box and then forcing its way out at the roofline under the rubber. Not sure if he's right but I pulled the lower shelving unit out of my front closet and stuffed the gap between the floor and the cap with insulation. With my phone I was able to see daylight under the floor from the pin box area. So air could get in, just a matter of how much pressure there is with all the turbulent air under there while traveling down the road.

Can't hurt and its insulated better now anyway.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW