Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50 amp vs 30 amp on camper

Hi Guys:
    I am wondering about those who have 50 amp service on their campers but have only one air conditioner but are wired for two. Is there an advantage to using 50 amp? Is the camper wiring set up so when a second air conditioner is installed the extra 20 amps go there. I am asking because my new 2670mk will becoming in soon and I have a progressive 30 amp EMS surge protector now and a 30 amp extra cord. Do I put on an adapter to run the 30 amp setup or buy another EMS surge protector for 50 amp. What I am trying to ask is will I less problems with breakers tripping on the 50 amp circuit?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50 amp vs 30 amp on camper

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbajim View Post
    Hi Guys:
    I am wondering about those who have 50 amp service on their campers but have only one air conditioner but are wired for two. Is there an advantage to using 50 amp? Is the camper wiring set up so when a second air conditioner is installed the extra 20 amps go there. I am asking because my new 2670mk will becoming in soon and I have a progressive 30 amp EMS surge protector now and a 30 amp extra cord. Do I put on an adapter to run the 30 amp setup or buy another EMS surge protector for 50 amp. What I am trying to ask is will I less problems with breakers tripping on the 50 amp circuit?
    You won’t trip a breaker on 50. 50 is best
    Buy a 50 amp protector
    You still need to bring a dongle to go from 30 amp to 50 amp though as many campgrounds don’t have 50
    Hardly any do in my province

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 04-24-2021 at 04:48 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbajim View Post
    Hi Guys:
    To be Captain obvious, yes there is an advantage to 50A over 30A service (more power) and disadvantages (heavier & more expensive cord and for you an new EMS). The 50A (from the pedestal all the way through the trailer) is split into 2 separate legs and the loads (in the trailer) should be roughly balanced between these legs. For example, if you have two air conditioners (even if only one is installed) they will be on separate legs. The real benefit is 50A service (really 100A compared to 30A) to the user is you do not have to watch your use/loading as much. With 30A you can not run a hair dryer, microwave, water heater (on electric), 2 AC, etc. at the same time. You would have to shut one (or more) off to use another appliance. It is pretty hard to overload a 50A service (I am not saying it can not be done).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50A won't make a difference for most people with a GD... Outlets are a home run circuit on a 15A breaker.

Sure, the microwave, WH and AC are on their own breakers, but I can't run two space heaters without blowing that breaker...
    Last edited by Lane Hog; 04-24-2021 at 07:37 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we plug in typically the fridge switches, the converter hits max output, and we put the water heater on electric. If the AC goes on as well, we go well over 30A.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane Hog View Post
    50A won't make a difference for most people with a GD... Outlets are a home run circuit on a 15A breaker.

Sure, the microwave, WH and AC are on their own breakers, but I can't run two space heaters without blowing that breaker...
    Why can't you run two space heaters...I do it all the time. Sometimes even with the fireplace running. With a 50 Amp you have 12,000 Watts available to use, 6,000 on each leg. With a 30 Amp you only have 3,600 Watts available all on one leg. If your breaker panel looks like mine below everything to the left of the main 50 Amp CB is on one leg and everything to the right is on the opposite leg. Simply find an outlet on each leg and use those.... I don't know what size heaters you're trying to run but I use two 1500 Watt ceramic disc heaters all of the time in my along with the water heater, fridge, fireplace, fans, and other things at the same time in our 337RLS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210430_110931.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	33973
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar