User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer wiring fault

Today about a hour after leaving the house my dash displayed "Trailer Wiring Fault". I went to pull over to check the trailer connection and when I applied the brakes the trailer started chuck very violently, felt like brakes came on really hard and then off and back on. Pretty scary. I turned the gain down to 4.5 on trailer brake but it still did it not as violent. We have a 2021 2930RL Solitude S Class. Has anybody heard of this and any ideas?
    Jim Bonhote, 2021 2930RL Solitude S Class, 2015 Ford F350 Platinum

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would check your emergency breakaway switch.
    Did the cable attached to it get tangled and partially pull the actuator out of the brake junction box mounted on the pin box?
    It might be making and breaking contact, applying the emergency brakes intermittently.
    MB, Ab and Ufki (under foot kitty)
    '18 RAM Laramie Cummins HO
    '19 303RLS

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm in the middle of a trip with a similar issue. Mine comes up once or twice in a long day of driving. Have been unable to find a dealer or mobile tech I can coordinate with to check it out. Everyone is very booked up. In my case, most of the time it is just the message, but once I did try to stop and had no trailer brakes for a brief bit, then they kicked in (not full, just normal...but still scary...)
    I'm guessing a bad ground somewhere. A tech in a campground (who couldn't actually fit me in) advised to check the trailer plug - make sure contacts were not dirty. It has two prongs for each of the separate pins. A screwdriver can be used to slightly bend one of the pins inward, to provide a tighter connection. That did not help mine, but it may yours.
    Underneath, the cord goes to an electrical box. Inside mine was a bunch of white wires all bundled together with a big wire nut. Mine was not fully tightened. We'll see if that helps the problem. While under there, you can also see where additional white wires are bolted directly to the frame to make it grounded. Check that everything is in good shape and very tight.
    If my problem continues, all I can think is to maybe start pulling wheels to check how well the main brake magnets are grounded....not a thing I want to do in a campground.....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the ideas. I did check the break away switch. I did move where I was attaching the wire. I think I might have been pushing it on right hand turns but that did not solve the problem. I did crawl under my trailer and check the brake wiring that goes into the backing plate on all wheels. I found that the left rear did. not have the grommet on it. Just wires going through. I was watching a You Tube Video of Switching it Up and he had the same problem. His problem was in the right rear. The wires had detached from the lever they are suppose to be attached to. I pulled the wheel on the left rear. I was glad to see that I had the same problem. The wires were just hanging there and rubbing on the drum. They wore the insulation on the wire down and the wire was bare so it was shorting out. The other thing was the lever that the electromagnet attaches to was loose and sloppy. The electromagnet was wearing real uneven and it is suppose to be even and not rough. I ended up replacing the backing plate that came with all new parts and rewired it. I think that is going to repair it. I moved it up and back in my driveway using the electric brakes and no light came on. Hope this helps.
    Jim Bonhote, 2021 Solitude 2930RL S Class, 2015 Ford F350 Platinum

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely check grounds inside the box for the trailer cord. These are a weak spot. A bunch of the ground wires are tied together and sometimes don't make the best contact.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
    Thanks for all of the ideas. I did check the break away switch. I did move where I was attaching the wire. I think I might have been pushing it on right hand turns but that did not solve the problem. I did crawl under my trailer and check the brake wiring that goes into the backing plate on all wheels. I found that the left rear did. not have the grommet on it. Just wires going through. I was watching a You Tube Video of Switching it Up and he had the same problem. His problem was in the right rear. The wires had detached from the lever they are suppose to be attached to. I pulled the wheel on the left rear. I was glad to see that I had the same problem. The wires were just hanging there and rubbing on the drum. They wore the insulation on the wire down and the wire was bare so it was shorting out. The other thing was the lever that the electromagnet attaches to was loose and sloppy. The electromagnet was wearing real uneven and it is suppose to be even and not rough. I ended up replacing the backing plate that came with all new parts and rewired it. I think that is going to repair it. I moved it up and back in my driveway using the electric brakes and no light came on. Hope this helps.
    Good find! Thanks for sharing!
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer Wiring Fault

Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    Good find! Thanks for sharing!
    Been on the road for 3 hours and the Trailer Wiring Fault has not came on. I think we are good. Thanks for all of the reply.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
    Today about a hour after leaving the house my dash displayed "Trailer Wiring Fault". I went to pull over to check the trailer connection and when I applied the brakes the trailer started chuck very violently, felt like brakes came on really hard and then off and back on. Pretty scary. I turned the gain down to 4.5 on trailer brake but it still did it not as violent. We have a 2021 2930RL Solitude S Class. Has anybody heard of this and any ideas?
    Jim Bonhote, 2021 2930RL Solitude S Class, 2015 Ford F350 Platinum
    On my enclosed trailer the plug had corrosion causing a bad connection so now I place a little dielectric grease to prevent the problem