User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodyear endurance

I changed out the westlakes for goodyear endurance and took my 21bhe out for the first time with the new tires. Was surprised to find my TPMS high pressure alarm went off even though outside temp was near 50. The westlakes never tripped the alarm even when towing in the 80's. I had the alarm set at 72psi which admittedly is below the 20% above max that is normally recommended.

I've bumped up the trigger point to solve the problem but was just curious if anyone else has noticed the endurance tires having a larger pressure gain. With the endurance having stiffer side walls I would have guessed there would be less flex and consequently run a bit cooler than the westlakes.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be getting GY next month so I will watch for that. The other consideration is the GY is a heavier tire. Probably 4-5 lbs heavier than the WL. More rubber/material could mean a little higher temps.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that, while throwing water from the tread of the tires, the thread design will also dissipate or retain heat to some extent, although not to the level of being dangerous if all else is within specification. I have also found the tires on the "sunny" side of the RV and truck run several degrees warmer and several PSI higher; all of this is normal.

I have yet to set up the tire pressure monitor for my new Reflection... will probably have to adjust some limit settings as I run the Endurance tires at the recommended pressures (as specified on the Goodyear web site) based upon load and tire size. Once all our camping stuff is loaded into the new RV (and truck), it's off to the CAT scale.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goodyear Endurance Inflation Chart.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	33640

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only towed once with the Goodyears but I did not notice a difference.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit1 View Post
    Keep in mind that, while throwing water from the tread of the tires, the thread design will also dissipate or retain heat to some extent, although not to the level of being dangerous if all else is within specification. I have also found the tires on the "sunny" side of the RV and truck run several degrees warmer and several PSI higher; all of this is normal.

I have yet to set up the tire pressure monitor for my new Reflection... will probably have to adjust some limit settings as I run the Endurance tires at the recommended pressures (as specified on the Goodyear web site) based upon load and tire size. Once all our camping stuff is loaded into the new RV (and truck), it's off to the CAT scale.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goodyear Endurance Inflation Chart.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	33640
    Could be the tread
    I always thought trailer tires should be ribbed tires
    Endurance tires are not ribbed
    Likely nothing to do with it but who knows
    I will keep my Westlakes and save money
    The “d” rated ones are not the ones with issues

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the new tires you will have a new baseline for temperature and hot PSI.

One other thought is an uneven temp or pressure between tires could mean other issues such as bad bearings or brake drag.

Someone had posted that they found bad bearings because their tire temp was too high.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temps and pressures were very even, within a few degrees and psi of each other. The only variance I saw I feel was due to one side having more sun. As far as brake drag or bearings, I always check hub temps with an infrared thermometer and hub temps were in the high 70's. When I first started towing with the westlakes (when trailer was brand new) I had a brake issue and saw hub temps as high as 180 and still didn't have the high temp or pressure alarm go off with the westlakes. Even with the high hub temps I only saw tire temps around 10 deg over ambient temps with the westlakes.

I don't feel there's an issue of any sort with the endurance tires hitting slightly higher psi, it was just unexpected. The tires going from 65 psi cold (max psi) to 73 while underway is completely within expected range.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Goodyear Endurance tires (235/80r16) are rated for 80 psi and filled to 80 psi. Reset your alarms accordingly and all should be good.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last post was an incomplete explanation. My guess is that your Westlake tires were filled to 60 psi. TPMS set at 20% over (72 psi). The Endurance tires are probably filled to 80 psi so your TPMS should be set at 96 psi (20% over).

Although that is probably the situation it's still a fairly incomplete explanation. Tires don't have just one pressure rating. They have different pressure ratings depending on the load (lbs) they are trying to carry.

Having a tire over filled for the weight it's carrying will give a very rough ride. Having it under filled could result in a tire failure

Check the max rating on the side of the tire. Check the psi that the tire is filled to. Fill the tire to the max rating and set the TPMS for 20% over that. Depending on the weight you're carrying that might give you a rough ride.

My truck tires have a max rating of 80 psi. Even with that rating my front tires are only filled to 60 psi. The carrying capacity of my front truck tires at 60 psi is still over my front truck axle rating. Filling my front truck tires to 80 psi will only give me a rougher ride for a weight they'll never carry.

Okay so now I've almost gone and confused myself. Hope this helped a little.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both the westlakes and endurance (st205/75r14 LRD) are 65 psi max tires and that's what I've been filling them to. One thing that occurred to me that the softer sidewall of the westlakes might let the tire expand a bit more than the endurance as the temps rise which would keep the pressure from rising as quickly??

I'm still debating about continuing my practice of filling to max psi or using the goodyear load chart. According to the chart I only need 35 psi (assuming all 4 tires have an equal load, cat scale weight of 5500 lbs) but that just sounds like a bad idea, but maybe 50 or 55 psi would be better than max. I'm sticking with max psi until I can convince myself that less is really better.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast