User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfgd21bhe View Post
    Both the westlakes and endurance (st205/75r14 LRD) are 65 psi max tires and that's what I've been filling them to. One thing that occurred to me that the softer sidewall of the westlakes might let the tire expand a bit more than the endurance as the temps rise which would keep the pressure from rising as quickly??

I'm still debating about continuing my practice of filling to max psi or using the goodyear load chart. According to the chart I only need 35 psi (assuming all 4 tires have an equal load, cat scale weight of 5500 lbs) but that just sounds like a bad idea, but maybe 50 or 55 psi would be better than max. I'm sticking with max psi until I can convince myself that less is really better.
    Glad I am sticking with my westlakes
    It eliminates the debate
    YMMV

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still debating about continuing my practice of filling to max psi or using the goodyear load chart. According to the chart I only need 35 psi (assuming all 4 tires have an equal load, cat scale weight of 5500 lbs) but that just sounds like a bad idea, but maybe 50 or 55 psi would be better than max. I'm sticking with max psi until I can convince myself that less is really better.
    Your idea of an intermediate pressure makes sense. Keep in mind you can’t just divide 5500 lb by 4. Weight varies a bit side to side and axle to axle. Maybe assume a maximum of 1500-1650 lb per tire?
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Glad I am sticking with my westlakes
    It eliminates the debate
    YMMV

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Doesn't eliminate the debate, just makes a default decision simple since westlake doesn't provide load vs inflation information, at least I haven't been able to find it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dkayak View Post
    Your idea of an intermediate pressure makes sense. Keep in mind you can’t just divide 5500 lb by 4. Weight varies a bit side to side and axle to axle. Maybe assume a maximum of 1500-1650 lb per tire?
    Yup. No doubt my curb side is heavier since that's where the kitchen and bath is located. I've tried to compensate to some degree by loading the heavier stuff in the pass thru on the street side and stored some heavier rarely used items under the bottom bunk which is also on the street side.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed out the westlakes for goodyear endurance and took my 21bhe out for the first time with the new tires. Was surprised to find my TPMS high pressure alarm went off even though outside temp was near 50. The westlakes never tripped the alarm even when towing in the 80's. I had the alarm set at 72psi which admittedly is below the 20% above max that is normally recommended.

I've bumped up the trigger point to solve the problem but was just curious if anyone else has noticed the endurance tires having a larger pressure gain. With the endurance having stiffer side walls I would have guessed there would be less flex and consequently run a bit cooler than the westlakes.
    I also just switched from the Westlake E's to Goodyear Endurance E's on our 2020 Reflection 303RLS and noticed the same change in pressure. Have only taken 1 trip of 2 hours with them as they were put on by the dealer who subbed the job out. I'm wondering if the place that changed the tires filled them with nitrogen as the Westlakes came nitrogen filled by Grand Design. Anyone know how to check for nitrogen in the tires?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are actually not that many shops that have nitrogen. If they do not use nitrogen they are supposed to change the caps from green to black.
    Regardless, they will eventually be all air once you start adding air to them from your home compressor or from a gas station fill.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcl1jw View Post
    I also just switched from the Westlake E's to Goodyear Endurance E's on our 2020 Reflection 303RLS and noticed the same change in pressure. Have only taken 1 trip of 2 hours with them as they were put on by the dealer who subbed the job out. I'm wondering if the place that changed the tires filled them with nitrogen as the Westlakes came nitrogen filled by Grand Design. Anyone know how to check for nitrogen in the tires?
    I wouldn’t worry about nitrogen
    Nitrogen was a fad started solely to make shops profit

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I wouldn’t worry about nitrogen
    Nitrogen was a fad started solely to make shops profit

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    The solution for most tire technicians looking to reign in the pressure predicament is nitrogen. As a dry gas, nitrogen provides a much more stable option, greatly reducing pressure fluctuations during even the biggest temperature swings.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    The solution for most tire technicians looking to reign in the pressure predicament is nitrogen. As a dry gas, nitrogen provides a much more stable option, greatly reducing pressure fluctuations during even the biggest temperature swings.
    This is a myth
    Pump air and nitrogen expand and contract at the same level

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/nitrogen-in-tires

Educate yourself. This is a brief summary.
    There are some legitimate pros to nitrogen in tires.
    More so if you are a race car driver.
    My son has an automotive shop and he does specialty alignments for many Porches, BMWs, etc as they head to Limerock racetrack in NW Connecticut.
    Many/most want nitrogen these days so he got equipped.

In my opinion it doesn't do much if anything for regular drivers. Especially since in my experience it is difficult to find a shop that has it and I have an air compressor in my garage.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast