User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious why nobody on here ever mentions Carlisle tires. I've had then on three RV's over the last 30+ years. The Carlisle's on our 39 foot TT lasted 20 years. On our 2016 Solitude, after a $1750 insurance claim from the Westlake Load Range "E" tires, bought the 16 inch 15-ply Load Range "G" Carlisle tires for just under $200 each. They are a good value. The Max Load Cold at 110 Psi is almost 5000 Lbs! We will buy them again!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm planning to change my Westlakes to GY at some point. To date (4000 miles), no issues. I check the tire pressure regularly, have the TST 507 TPMS installed and never run over 65mph (normal MO is 60moh in the right lane).
    Tom & Misty - Dover, FL
    Gracie, the Black Lab 🐶
    2020 Solitude 344 GK-R
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 6.7L Cummins CC/LB/DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m a first-time trailer owner and I haven’t dug into the Westlake tire question yet, but I have a general question: why are the tires on my 6000 lb trailer so “fragile” compared to those on my 6000 lb truck? Are they just a cheaper tire? Smaller diameter? Is there something special about trailer tires?
    Rusty & Cathy
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2016 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed 4WD 6L
    Husky 32217 Centerline WDH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyCas View Post
    I’m a first-time trailer owner and I haven’t dug into the Westlake tire question yet, but I have a general question: why are the tires on my 6000 lb trailer so “fragile” compared to those on my 6000 lb truck? Are they just a cheaper tire? Smaller diameter? Is there something special about trailer tires?
    Considering the likely million westlakes out on the road IMO the issues are very very small and almost always user error

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had our Westlakes for almost two years. E rated tires. Had a blowout at 40-45 mph; yes tires were properly inflated to 75 psi. Just switched over to GY Endurance this weekend. I would not suggest that anyone in the E rated category stick with those Westlakes. Thankfully for us the damage to the camper was extremely minimal!
    2020 Transcend 27BHS
    2011 F150 SCREW 4x4 Offroad 3.73, Elocker, Ecoboost
    Gas a Just rear shocks / 5 star Adapative/Performance tunes
    Equalizer 10k hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Are you saying he doesn’t add a charge for nitrogen?
    Most places you even have to pay for air
    Perhaps if he explained to his customers that there is literally no advantage they wouldn’t care either

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I have never had to pay for Nitrogen vs regular air. Some places use it and some just air. Costco uses it, all the new trailers come with it. It doesn't affect my decision where to buy tires. Logically if 10 degrees of temp affects tires PSI 1-2 PSI it is hard to imagine much difference with Nitrogen moving from 78% to maybe 90% (there is some air in a tire before inflation so it isn't going to get to 100%). However one thing I have noticed with it is the tire seems to not need added air overtime. So the claim that the larger molecule size of Nitrogen doesn't bleed out overtime is probably true. I am fine with having it since I don't have to pay for it but fine with just air.
    Dan, Ponderosa Park, CO
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE (SOLD)
    2023 Hiker Mid Range Deluxe 5x9 (Due Oct 2023)
    2018 Nissan Titan Crew

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyCas View Post
    There are some good articles about this if you search around. There are a lot more sidewall stress on trailer tires is the basic reason. The suspension in your truck is also way more advanced and absorbs more of the road impact. Size vs load is also another factor.
    Dan, Ponderosa Park, CO
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE (SOLD)
    2023 Hiker Mid Range Deluxe 5x9 (Due Oct 2023)
    2018 Nissan Titan Crew

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Are you saying he doesn’t add a charge for nitrogen?
    No that's not what I said.
    I said he about breaks even. It's not a profit making venture. He has to obviously buy the Nitrogen tank and had to rig it up. He charges enough to break even.
    hey will eventually come back and get some work done of some sort. And no he does not charge for regular compressed air. That is not worth the paperwork. He figures they will eventually come back to get something fixed or replaced.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as I took possession of our 2600rb I drove it home , next day went to good year. Sold the bombs for $25. Each. I drive 10k a year in my trailer so I need peace of mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodyears run hot

Quote Originally Posted by tfgd21bhe View Post
    I changed out the westlakes for goodyear endurance and took my 21bhe out for the first time with the new tires. Was surprised to find my TPMS high pressure alarm went off even though outside temp was near 50. The westlakes never tripped the alarm even when towing in the 80's. I had the alarm set at 72psi which admittedly is below the 20% above max that is normally recommended.

I've bumped up the trigger point to solve the problem but was just curious if anyone else has noticed the endurance tires having a larger pressure gain. With the endurance having stiffer side walls I would have guessed there would be less flex and consequently run a bit cooler than the westlakes.
    This is a very late post, but I've been busy so better late than never.

Due to a spring failure and the need for two new tires, I ran for a while with two Carlisles (when they were still made in USA) on one side and Goodyear Endurance on the other. Regardless of sun position the Goodyears ran hotter. I thing it's just a characteristic of the tire and wouldn't worry about it.
    2020 303RLS MorRyde 4000
    2021 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW 4x4
    14,000 GVW Auto Leveling
    B&W Companion3600

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345