User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F150 Towing?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weight at the Cat scale is done by each axle. How would I weigh just the truck as a whole. I assume the sum of the two axle weights is different than the whole weight of the truck. How do you weigh the whole truck at a Cat scale? Do you just pull onto the single scale unit where the trailer would be?
    "TEXAS, the greatest Nation that became a State"

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dugals View Post
    The weight at the Cat scale is done by each axle. How would I weigh just the truck as a whole. I assume the sum of the two axle weights is different than the whole weight of the truck. How do you weigh the whole truck at a Cat scale? Do you just pull onto the single scale unit where the trailer would be?
    Unhook your trailer and go on the scale or just drive to the scale without the trailer

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dugals View Post
    Drive onto the CAT scale and make sure the front axle is on the front scale and the rear axle is on the rear scale. If you do it that way you get total truck weight and axle weights at the same time.

Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Standard F150's have limited capacities, particular if you have an upscale model. It's easy to be misled by the Ford towing document, but the proper information is in there, buried in tables. My HDPP F150 has a sticker payload of 2,743 lbs and it tows my 10k+ lb 5th wheel up a 6% slope at 65. I do a bit of bouncing around that a heavy truck probably wouldn't, but it's not unstable.

We drive our truck a fair amount w/o the trailer. Are you happy driving around an unloaded heavy truck? Many are, I'm not.
    2020 Ford F150 XLT with HDPP, 3.5L TT V6, 6.5' bed, 3.73 axle, Curt A16 manual slider hitch.
    2021 GD Reflections 150 series 295RL 33' 5th
    Long ago: Carriage Lite 35' 5th, towed by Dodge Ram 2500 V10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foothiller View Post
    Standard F150's have limited capacities, particular if you have an upscale model. It's easy to be misled by the Ford towing document, but the proper information is in there, buried in tables. My HDPP F150 has a sticker payload of 2,743 lbs and it tows my 10k+ lb 5th wheel up a 6% slope at 65. I do a bit of bouncing around that a heavy truck probably wouldn't, but it's not unstable.

We drive our truck a fair amount w/o the trailer. Are you happy driving around an unloaded heavy truck? Many are, I'm not.
    You have a very rare truck! Super hard to find and even order nowadays. Been curious how the newer gen HDPP trucks handle heavy trailers. I tried ordering a HDPP F150 back in 2012 but had to bail on that plan because it was going to take to long to build and transport so I settled for one with just the max towing package. It was ok with heavy loads/trailers but not as stable as I was hoping.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, dealers don't build these so you don't find them on lots. I had to order it last summer and it took several months. It's probably tougher these days. At least one other happy HDPP owner has posted on the forum. Once you order HDPP you're limited on the fancy features you can order. Somewhere in the forum I've posted all my measured weight data.
    2020 Ford F150 XLT with HDPP, 3.5L TT V6, 6.5' bed, 3.73 axle, Curt A16 manual slider hitch.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foothiller View Post
    Yeah, dealers don't build these so you don't find them on lots. I had to order it last summer and it took several months. It's probably tougher these days. At least one other happy HDPP owner has posted on the forum. Once you order HDPP you're limited on the fancy features you can order. Somewhere in the forum I've posted all my measured weight data.
    My 2021 was on the lot. Took days putting in vins on the computer to find it. Found it 10mi away. Once I got to dealer he was able to pull all of them up. There was just one other in the Midwest. My was an xl the other was an xls. My payload is 2577. A lot less then yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good deal. Either there were no HDPP's in the west or my salesperson didn't look as hard as he could. The ordering delay cost me the use of our trailer at the end of last summer. I wonder if the trucks you found were customer orders that fell through or the dealerships just decided to order them.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with those that say skip the 250 and get a 350 especially if you want a diesel. You will be glad you did when you upgrade to a larger trailer. Sage words from my neighbor who has been RVing for over 40 years with all kinds of trailers and trucks.

My F150 (description below) has a 145" wheel base with 3.55 gear ratio. When you dig into the charts my truck has a towing capacity of 10,500 lbs which is fine for my trailer. Where half ton trucks usually fail is cargo capacity. Use the CC from the sticker on the door and then subtract the weight of all the passengers and other stuff you keep in the truck. Then subtract the weight of the hitch and the tongue weight of the trailer as calculated by weighing it with a tongue weight scale when the trailer is fully loaded for a trip. I'm guessing you will be close to or over the CC of your truck.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a 2020 F150 XLT X4 crew s/b 3.5 for about 6 months, Firestone airbags, Helwig antisway. Changed trailers, which left 12 pounds in the green for the 150. Decided to go with a 2021 F350 Lariat 4x4 crew s/b 7.3L, pulls the 2500RL easily. Couldn't justify the additional $10k for the 6.7. One point I want to make, though, is that while demand for the F series is high, and KBB etc reflect that, neither Ford dealers or CarMax is giving much more than "Rough" trade in value. You may get a better deal, hope you do, but that was our experience in March. We took a bath on the trade in, but since we got the F350 at invoice, $2k Ford cash and it's an awesome truck, the pain was worth it. If you want the trailer camera and real TPMS that links to your Synch4, order the Ultimate Trailer Camera pkg.
    Mark and Judy
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch
    Fleet Manager, Cowlitz County WA Search & Rescue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12