Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suspension and axle upgrades

Anyone done any of these upgrades. Pros and cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. I think you need to be more specific.

There is the complete swap to Morryde IS system, swapping to slipper spring aftermarket kit, adding shocks or sumo springs, upgrading the equalizer and shackles, adding bigger capacity springs and axles. Plenty of people have done any number of these things, just need to say what you're considering.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ordered the cre300 and wet bolt shackle kit. Considering leaf springs and or axles. I’m adding a Lippert auto level system and possible a Moryde slider in storage. With the weight how far do I go to keep family safe while towing?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the CRE3000 , and HD shackles w/ wetbolts on my Momentum. It was fairly easy, I did it the same time I replaced all my leaf springs as they were starting to go flat. That's certainly a good start, if your springs are in good shape, no reason to replace them unless you are switching to higher capacity, but then you might want to consider upgrading axles. Swapping to disc brakes is something worth considering as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I’ll look into the brakes and axles

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonchristopher21 View Post
    I have ordered the cre300 and wet bolt shackle kit. Considering leaf springs and or axles. I’m adding a Lippert auto level system and possible a Moryde slider in storage. With the weight how far do I go to keep family safe while towing?

A lot depends on your specific trailer, For example we broke spring hangers and leaf springs on our 27RL as well as multiple issues with malfunctioning brakes. Axles were 5200 lbs for a gross weight of 11,000 so adequate , Leaf springs were pretty flat so we upgraded springs from 2600 lb to 3000 lb and added the shackle upgrade and reenforced the hangers by welding in V gussets. The stock Lippert equalizers looked good so saw no need to replace, If they wear excessively I would get the VRE 3000. By the way in our case no wear was observed on the shackle bushings despite the plastic, but we did lubricate regularly.

As far as brakes go, I got sick of trouble shooting the electric drum brakes ( all wiring issues and opted for electric hydraulic disks from Performance Trailer Brakes. A tremendous improvement so no regrets there.

You have to evaluate your own situation and make the changes that matter to you.
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    A lot depends on your specific trailer, For example we broke spring hangers and leaf springs on our 27RL as well as multiple issues with malfunctioning brakes. Axles were 5200 lbs for a gross weight of 11,000 so adequate , Leaf springs were pretty flat so we upgraded springs from 2600 lb to 3000 lb and added the shackle upgrade and reenforced the hangers by welding in V gussets. The stock Lippert equalizers looked good so saw no need to replace, If they wear excessively I would get the VRE 3000. By the way in our case no wear was observed on the shackle bushings despite the plastic, but we did lubricate regularly.

As far as brakes go, I got sick of trouble shooting the electric drum brakes ( all wiring issues and opted for electric hydraulic disks from Performance Trailer Brakes. A tremendous improvement so no regrets there.

You have to evaluate your own situation and make the changes that matter to you.
    Who did you get to do all of that work? In general, where should I look to get that done - dealer, truck repair shop, etc.?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So was under coach today and found 3500 axels. With springs that look like ironing boards. Thinking about call GD tomorrow to see what my rig actually had on it. If they are no help anyone have ling to some good springs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by psy1234 View Post
    Who did you get to do all of that work? In general, where should I look to get that done - dealer, truck repair shop, etc.?
    Various independent shops found issues with brake wiring, we were on the road at the time. I had the elec over hydraulic brakes installed by rep from Performance trailer braking while at the Grand Design National Rally. Suspension upgrades done by my self and my son in our driveway, he did the welding.
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonchristopher21 View Post
    So was under coach today and found 3500 axels. With springs that look like ironing boards. Thinking about call GD tomorrow to see what my rig actually had on it. If they are no help anyone have ling to some good springs

I think you will benefit from reading through this thread. Lots of info and there are part numbers listed for 2200# springs which some have installed as an upgrade over the stock 1750# springs.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...on-a-2018-28BH
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2017 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4, Max Tow Package w/6.2L
    INDIANAPOLIS, IN