User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winegard 360+ w/gateway... like it or hate it

Season is here and I have toyed with various Internet options (exhausting). I upgraded to a 2021 Reflection in the fall. I see I have a Winegard 360+. I am thinking of buying the GW-1000 gateway for boosting wi-fi and cellular.

For those that went this route - buy or bust in your opinion.

Note: we are not fulltime RVers. Mostly ise for casual wi-fi (read online, email, and stream at night)

I do drop the RV for 1-2 months at a local campground and work 5-10 days there. Campground wi-fi drops in and out. When I am connected, I have enough bandwidth.
    2020 Sierra 2500HD Denali
    Equalizer hitch (used Blue Ox before)
    Reflections 312bhts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MachWun View Post
    Season is here and I have toyed with various Internet options (exhausting). I upgraded to a 2021 Reflection in the fall. I see I have a Winegard 360+. I am thinking of buying the GW-1000 gateway for boosting wi-fi and cellular.

For those that went this route - buy or bust in your opinion.

Note: we are not fulltime RVers. Mostly ise for casual wi-fi (read online, email, and stream at night)

I do drop the RV for 1-2 months at a local campground and work 5-10 days there. Campground wi-fi drops in and out. When I am connected, I have enough bandwidth.
    Check here, I’m sure they have reviewed it.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I had read that article from 2019. I wanted to hear from those that took the plunge and what their real world experience and thoughts are.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 360+ and Gateway and am very satisfied with it. You can add it to your mobile phone plan for cellular data and broadcast WiFi throughout your camper and in the area around it.
    Dennis, Pat, Prince and the Lady - Western New York
    2018 Solitude 310GK- 2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW - Blue Ox Super Ride

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too got the Gateway to add onto the 360+. I enabled it with a Verizon sim card added to my existing Verizon account to get 4G connectivity.

A couple of points
    • Verizon will throttle speed something awful after about 15Gb. We burn through that amount of data in about 1.5 days of camping. Then you have to wait a month for it to reset back to speed. So, for me, using a Verizon data plan is pretty useless.
    • I've only been able to get 30Mb out of the Gateway when connecting to either 4G or an external WiFi. I parked outside my house where I typically get >300Mb/s and couldn't get near that with the Gateway. I've read similar discussions about the gateway speed limit elsewhere.
    • I think it only uses the 2.4GHz bands for WiFi to MiFi.

All that said, I'll admit I haven't tried reconfiguring it very much since I've been on other projects. I tried to go the (sorta)cheap-n-quick route to get connectivity and wanted to give the gateway a try. It'd probably be fine if you primarily park in RV parks w/WiFi and use it for streaming TV or surfing the net.

Hope that helps ..
    signature

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think the Reflections had the plus, just the 360...

I have been in search of reliable connectivity because I can work anywhere as long as I have it.. After about a month of using it, Starlink has me smiling! It will be given a thorough testing this season with the trips we have planned. We also use it at the house so the investment makes greater sense.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I didn't think the Reflections had the plus, just the 360...

I have been in search of reliable connectivity because I can work anywhere as long as I have it.. After about a month of using it, Starlink has me smiling! It will be given a thorough testing this season with the trips we have planned. We also use it at the house so the investment makes greater sense.
    I didn't think Starlink was offering mobile service?
    Dennis, Pat, Prince and the Lady - Western New York
    2018 Solitude 310GK- 2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW - Blue Ox Super Ride

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    I didn't think Starlink was offering mobile service?
    The dish is portable. Take it and receiver anywhere you like. Unlike conventional satellite where you need to aim at the birds, the Starlink mesh is more like node access. It also works by itself to optimize signal. Different dish options are in the future as well.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The dish is portable. Take it and receiver anywhere you like. Unlike conventional satellite where you need to aim at the birds, the Starlink mesh is more like node access. It also works by itself to optimize signal. Different dish options are in the future as well.
    You can't roam out of your Starlink cell with the current system.

In this video, the guy does a cell size experiment by driving his truck around with the antenna.

https://youtu.be/me1pz373PF8?t=268

It might become mobile later this year, but there's no schedule that I've heard of.
    signature

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    You can't roam out of your Starlink cell with the current system.

In this video, the guy does a cell size experiment by driving his truck around with the antenna.

https://youtu.be/me1pz373PF8?t=268

It might become mobile later this year, but there's no schedule that I've heard of.
    Not system per se. Mesh density needs to keep dramatically increasing, which it will. Cells are funny sizes considering the beam footprints (for lack of knowing the technical term). Lots of data going back from the equipment provided to me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast