User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    How about if you fold the handle toward the slide? If not, it's an easy chore to make spacers for the handle mounts with a piece of black starboard and basic woodworking tools. Will never rot, no new holes, and a fantastic lock in the end.
    The front of our dinette slide is too close to the door - it would hold the handle out even farther. As for spacers, it just hasn't moved that far up my priority list yet. Good idea, though.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Hi all - I found lots of discussion on the RV Lock and how simple the install was. I was just about to install mine then noticed a possible issue. When my entrance hand rail is stowed in the travel position, it partially covers the existing door latch (not a problem w/ the stock unit). But looking at this RV Lock, the latch looks like it'll protrude further from the face of the door and now interfere w/ the rail. I haven't seen/read this issue from anyone else. Take a look at the pictures. Did my handrail get installed too high?

Arg! Thought this was going to be a 10 minute job. Thanks!

Attachment 33655
    Attachment 33656
    Attachment 33657
    I had the same problem with my Solitude 310GK. I found a shim that is made by Stromberg Carlson (Who makes the handle) on etrailer:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...n/5991-SM.html

They are 1/4 inch thick solid plastic. I found that I needed two on each end (4 total) to clear the RVlock. They also come with longer screws. A bit pricy, but worth it for me.

Brian
    Brian and Lisa - Longmont, CO
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2022 F350 Lariat DRW Powerstroke
    Firestone airbags - WirelessOne Airlift
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a shim that is made by Stromberg Carlson (Who makes the handle) on etrailer
    Thanks for that! I saw that shim on the S/C site. I'll try to fabricate something this weekend.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that! I saw that shim on the S/C site. I'll try to fabricate something this weekend.
    No problem. 1/2 inch thick should work like a charm. 1/4 was not quite enough.

Brian
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2021 303RLS and the only issue we had installing ours was the striker plate but our handle doesn't stick out.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I gave up on this lock upgrade. I made some plastic spacers for the handle and had long screws ready to pull the folding handle out away from the door but found another issue when fitting the door lock. When I inserted it so latch bolts line up w/ the cutouts in the door, I end up with this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7760 (002).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	34062

But when I push the lock up to cover up the hole, the latch bolts now don't line up at all w/ the existing holes in the door:

Name:	IMG_7762 (002).jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	34061

Which meant I would have needed to hack the openings in the edge of the door and the corresponding striker in the door frame. I threw in threw in the towel as I didn't want to remove all that material. Oh well!

I gotta say the customer service at RV lock was as supportive as I could have expected. They issued the refund the same day they received the lock back.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I gave up on this lock upgrade. I made some plastic spacers for the handle and had long screws ready to pull the folding handle out away from the door but found another issue when fitting the door lock. When I inserted it so latch bolts line up w/ the cutouts in the door, I end up with this:

But when I push the lock up to cover up the hole, the latch bolts now don't line up at all w/ the existing holes in the door:

Which meant I would have needed to hack the openings in the edge of the door and the corresponding striker in the door frame. I threw in threw in the towel as I didn't want to remove all that material. Oh well!

I gotta say the customer service at RV lock was as supportive as I could have expected. They issued the refund the same day they received the lock back.
    That's a bummer. Do you have the full body paint? I don't, and don't remember seeing anything going beyond the perimeter of the lock. I thought I saw a video from Chad on Changing Lanes where he had a trim plate that went behind the lock to cover up the unpainted area from the full body paint.

I did, however have to remove a bit of metal from the opening of the striker plate on the door jamb. Took two minutes with a Dremel.

Sorry it didn't work out. So far I love having the RVLock.

Brian
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the full body paint? I don't, and don't remember seeing anything going beyond the perimeter of the lock. I thought I saw a video from Chad on Changing Lanes where he had a trim plate that went behind the lock to cover up the unpainted area from the full body paint.
    I don't have the full body paint. That's a hole going all the way thru the door in that first image, not just missing paint. Now that you mention it, I do remember that video. Oh well, I have enough other projects to keep me entertained for a while. Maybe next time I'm in UT, I'll swing by the RV Lock HQ and have them install it

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had the same sloppy cutout misalignment on our door. I made it work because I actually carved out the insulation around the opening and laminated in hardwood to solve a few problems. It was then no problem clinching the RV Lock solid and surrounding with a nice bead of sealant around the lock that hid it. If I hadn't transplanted from our last camper, I learned the skinner version actually covers the misaligned situations better.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12