User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

380FL Expando-garage Mod

The 380 has about a 12' garage, which is awesome, but wow the factory leaves more than 2' of depth in there on the forward end of the basement in a large space behind the wall. It's a largely unused space except for the dump valve cables on one side and two heating conduits on the other side. That leaves, in the middle section, a void of a good 4' wide by, as I say, more than 2' deep.

Now my 14'4" kayaks fit in the 12' basement! I'm still thinking of widening that space to get a fair bit of extra storage. For now, mission accomplished, this is my kayak setup (with room still there for two of our four bikes).

Thanks to m.j.email for the intel on what was behind the wall. It made exploring and cutting a little nerve-racking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1b.jpg   3b.jpg   4b.jpg   5b.jpg   6b.jpg  

2020 Solitude 380FL with B&W Companion 20K hitch
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. What sort of hardware was used to attach the straps to the aluminum cage in the basement?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wentfishn View Post
    Nice. What sort of hardware was used to attach the straps to the aluminum cage in the basement?
    Just some eye-hooks. Drilled into the aluminum, added some washers. We can only get two bikes in there when we have the kayaks with us, so have ordered a bike rack to carry the other two our back. Nice to have a camper that came from the factory with a proper hitch!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool! Hmmm wonder if my floorplan has that extra room? The 375 has the rear living room, opposite of yours. Very nice mod.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you put your 2 bikes that are inside? We have two kayaks and 2 e-bikes and are waiting on our 380 to come in next week.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vallenrn View Post
    Where do you put your 2 bikes that are inside? We have two kayaks and 2 e-bikes and are waiting on our 380 to come in next week.
    I mounted four bike fork clamps to the slide-out tray. We often travel with a mountain bike and a road bike each and we can fit all four in there easily. The road bikes fit in that bay no problem, front wheels off. The mountain bikes require removing the seat and compressing the front suspension so they fit thru the opening when sliding the tray in and out. If the kayaks are in there I can get one bike on each side of the kayaks.

The slide-out tray and its usefulness for carrying bikes was the original reason we liked the 380.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!