Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using one of the fuel tanks for diesel

Greetings all. So we have not yet taken delivery of our 351M, and have sooo many questions about it. I will not bore you and post all of them at the same time, so here is one...

We like the idea of the onboard fuel station, but for a different reason than most (we think). We do not have a generator installed, so we have no intention of using one tank for the generator. I believe I have seen several threads on how to bypass the generator and use that tank for toys. I'll get caught up on those soon.

So my question is in the title. I was thinking that it would be nice if the 'gas' tank that is intended for toys could actually be used as an 'extra' diesel fuel tank to possibly extend the range of the diesel tow vehicle. That, IMHO, would provide a little extra peace-of-mind on those long trips where diesel stops may be few and far between, or when you are really off the beaten path and in need of fuel.

Is this a good idea, or a really bad one?

So what say you? Has anyone ever thought of doing this, or actually succeeded in doing it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    We R B.O.B. (Boomers on Bikes)
    2020 Momentum 349M
    2019 Ford F450 6.7L PowerStroke

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    II think you would be better off with an in-bed Auxiliary Fuel Tank.

I foresee two problems with your plan...

One, is that you have to be un-hitched to access the fuel at the back of your Toy Hauler.

Two, your fuel will get stale because you won't be using that tank often enough. Diesel can go bad if it gets excess moisture in it (very possible unless the fuel is used up quickly) and it can grow algae if the conditions in the tank are just right.

An in-bed fuel tank eliminates both problems because it is easy to transfer the Aux Fuel into the main tank every week or two.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post

One, is that you have to be un-hitched to access the fuel at the back of your Toy Hauler.

Two, your fuel will get stale because you won't be using that tank often enough. Diesel can go bad if it gets excess moisture in it (very possible unless the fuel is used up quickly) and it can grow algae if the conditions in the tank are just right.

An in-bed fuel tank eliminates both problems because it is easy to transfer the Aux Fuel into the main tank every week or two.
    I agree, 100%
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post

Thanks, Solar. I was looking for a way to have that 'extra cushion' of fuel without the added expense of an in-bed fuel tank. What you say makes sense as I have very little experience with diesel.

I appreciate your input.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on how you use it it easily will suit that purpose. You could use the tank at the end of a travel day to fill up or add fuel for an early start, lots of scenarios like that. I believe you could make it work as long as you understand the potential (good and bad). I would give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Depending on how you use it it easily will suit that purpose. You could use the tank at the end of a travel day to fill up or add fuel for an early start, lots of scenarios like that. I believe you could make it work as long as you understand the potential (good and bad). I would give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, Redapple. That is pretty much how I envisioned using it. However, not being a diesel expert, I am cautious about using it that way. I know I would have to be diligent about not letting it set too long, and also not knowing if using it for diesel, instead of gasoline, if it would just destroy it altogether.

Thanks again for your input.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by We R BOB View Post
    Greetings all. So we have not yet taken delivery of our 351M, and have sooo many questions about it. I will not bore you and post all of them at the same time, so here is one...

We like the idea of the onboard fuel station, but for a different reason than most (we think). We do not have a generator installed, so we have no intention of using one tank for the generator. I believe I have seen several threads on how to bypass the generator and use that tank for toys. I'll get caught up on those soon.

So my question is in the title. I was thinking that it would be nice if the 'gas' tank that is intended for toys could actually be used as an 'extra' diesel fuel tank to possibly extend the range of the diesel tow vehicle. That, IMHO, would provide a little extra peace-of-mind on those long trips where diesel stops may be few and far between, or when you are really off the beaten path and in need of fuel.

Is this a good idea, or a really bad one?

So what say you? Has anyone ever thought of doing this, or actually succeeded in doing it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
    For diesel use determination, contact ECI FUEL SYSTEMS, 1794 West 11th St, Upland, CA 91786. On my 351M, they are the manufacturer of the tanks. Not sure if GD is still using them. Part #6842-B is the aux tank; green label. The generator tank is Part#6842-B; blue label rated "evap/CARB" for emissions since it is connected to an engine. Since your not getting a geny, don't know if you will get an evap/CARB rated tank or 2 green label tanks. Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tank.jpg  
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrick View Post
    For diesel use determination, contact ECI FUEL SYSTEMS, 1794 West 11th St, Upland, CA 91786. On my 351M, they are the manufacturer of the tanks. Not sure if GD is still using them. Part #6842-B is the aux tank; green label. The generator tank is Part#6842-B; blue label rated "evap/CARB" for emissions since it is connected to an engine. Since your not getting a geny, don't know if you will get an evap/CARB rated tank or 2 green label tanks. Hope this helps.
    Thanks, Tamrick. Very useful information indeed. I appreciate the part numbers.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M