Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery charging issue on a 2021 Reflection 315RLTS TT

Hello everyone, I'm excited to be part of the GD family!

I purchased a new 2021 Reflection 315RLTS TT three weeks ago. I'm parked at a location with a 50amp RV outlet and 15amp outlets available--I've tested all of them and they appear to be putting out good power. I don't think the converter is charging my battery though as the battery meter reflects a low reading while I get some of the AC circuits from shore power (microwave, powered recliners) working. The electric fireplace is also not working even when plugged into a 50amp outlet. If I connect my truck 7-pin cable with the truck running, the battery charges (max reading on the battery indicator in the panel).

I took off the cover of the furnace under the coffee bar area behind the breaker/fuse panel and found my converter ( WF-9800 Series Deckmount Converter-Charger). Both fuses were intact but I didn't get a voltage reading across the pos/neg test terminals with the AC power on. The converter doesn't appear to be on at all (no hum, no fan, etc). I flipped the converter breaker a few times and nothing changes.

I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong . Maybe I need the battery disconnect in off position to charge from shore?

Any help would be appreciated!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchonit View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm excited to be part of the GD family!

I purchased a new 2021 Reflection 315RLTS TT three weeks ago. I'm parked at a location with a 50amp RV outlet and 15amp outlets available--I've tested all of them and they appear to be putting out good power. I don't think the converter is charging my battery though as the battery meter reflects a low reading while I get some of the AC circuits from shore power (microwave, powered recliners) working. The electric fireplace is also not working even when plugged into a 50amp outlet. If I connect my truck 7-pin cable with the truck running, the battery charges (max reading on the battery indicator in the panel).

I took off the cover of the furnace under the coffee bar area behind the breaker/fuse panel and found my converter ( WF-9800 Series Deckmount Converter-Charger). Both fuses were intact but I didn't get a voltage reading across the pos/neg test terminals with the AC power on. The converter doesn't appear to be on at all (no hum, no fan, etc). I flipped the converter breaker a few times and nothing changes.
    Maybe I need the battery disconnect in off position to charge from shore?
    Hello,

The battery disconnect needs to be ON for the converter to charge your batteries.

No DC voltage reading on the converter makes it appear it isn't powered up and not connected to batteries.
    With the converter powered ON by 120VAC, you'd read 13.6V even if not connected to the batteries.

This 2019 315RLTS the owner mapped the outlets may or may not be similar to your 2021 model.
    It shows the converter on L2 side of 50A power in the CB breaker panel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	315RLTS Electrical Layout - Howson Post 44.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	33666
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm reading this correctly, some of the AC circuits are working, but not all?

If that's the case, it sounds more like a power pole problem. Do you have an EMS, does it show 120v for each leg of power?

Could you try a different site to see if that changes anything? Maybe even just use an extension cord if you have a long enough 50A cord.

If the pole is good, you might want to take your shore power cable off and see if you can try someone else's, or do a continuity test of all the contacts of the shore power cord (make sure cord is removed from rv and pole for this).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the converter/charger not powered and only part of your AC outlets working, I suspect a problem with one leg of your shore power system. As @gbkims mentioned, the converter/charger is on one let of your 50-amp AC system. Have you reset both of the main AC breakers on the power panel? If you have a multimeter and are comfortable with it, you can "follow the chain" - start measuring voltage on both legs at the trailer end of your 50-amp power cord and then on the input side of both of the 50-amp breakers on the power panel. There's a good chance you'll find you're not getting power through to one of the AC busses in the power panel (the one with the converter/charger on it).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate all the replies.

First up, I'll make sure to set the battery disconnect switch on for charging.

Thank you, @gbkims for the clue on the wiring diagram. I hadn't thought through the logic that appliances/loads were on a particular leg of the 2-pole 50 amp circuit. It makes sense now that only certain AC appliances were working plugged into 15A/120V shore power.
    @FT4NOW on the 50A outlet, I have 120V between each hot and the neutral, 240V across the two hots and 0V from neutral to ground. I'm using a 30ft 50A extension cord to lengthen the 35ft 50A cord that came with the TT. I hadn't thought to test the voltage at the end of that series of cables and will do that next.

I agree @Second Chance. It seems like I'm only getting one leg into the TT so I'll focus solving that.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still a little confused. Are you plugged into the 15 or the 50 A outlet? Even if plugged into the 15, the adapters you use should still provide power to everything, and obviously you shouldn't try to run everything at once. If using the correct power adapters and you dont have 120v to all circuits there could be a problem with the adapters. If the adapters are good, maybe you have a loose connection between your shore power inlet connector on the camper and the internal breaker box, or a loose wire in the breaker box, or just a failed breaker.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @FT4NOW, I have two adapters.

One came with the TT--50A Female Locking to a 50A 4 prong Male (~35ft long). I bought this 30' extension cord to reach the 50A RV outlet in the barn. I installed this RV outlet next to the load center in the barn and tested it after installation getting 240V across the 2 hots and 120V between each hot and the neutral. As I did the outlet installation myself & I'm not an electrician, I'm open to the idea that this could be the problem. I'm getting readings that I've seen should indicate proper outlet functioning though.

The other adapter is a 15 Amp Male to 50 Amp Female Twist Lock RV Adapter to connect the TT to a 15amp outlet in the barn using an extension cord that I had for outdoor 120V tools. The TT was on this set up for 2 weeks continuously but the battery was dead when I visited it last weekend.

I was able to get some AC circuits in the TT running with both adapters and cords but I don't think either configuration charged the battery. When I get back to my TT, I'll compare the circuit layout to the one shared by @gbkims but I bet mine is the same. If my converter is on L2 as in the drawing, should I expect some charging from even a 15a hookup?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @FT4NOW, I have two adapters.

One came with the TT--50A Female Locking to a 50A 4 prong Male (~35ft long). I bought this 30' extension cord to reach the 50A RV outlet in the barn. I installed this RV outlet next to the load center in the barn and tested it after installation getting 240V across the 2 hots and 120V between each hot and the neutral. As I did the outlet installation myself & I'm not an electrician, I'm open to the idea that this could be the problem. I'm getting readings that I've seen should indicate proper outlet functioning though.

The other adapter is a 15 Amp Male to 50 Amp Female Twist Lock RV Adapter to connect the TT to a 15amp outlet in the barn using an extension cord that I had for outdoor 120V tools. The TT was on this set up for 2 weeks continuously but the battery was dead when I visited it last weekend.

I was able to get some AC circuits in the TT running with both adapters and cords but I don't think either configuration charged the battery. When I get back to my TT, I'll compare the circuit layout to the one shared by @gbkims but I bet mine is the same. If my converter is on L2 as in the drawing, should I expect some charging from even a 15a hookup?
    I wonder if it's a wiring issue with the plug if you've checked all the adapters and cords and RV related wires for proper voltage and/or continuity. The adapters should provide power to both legs of your RV, even on a 15A source. Maybe you can share how you wired the plug and you can get some other possible responses. All I know is when I've plugged in to 15A using a 50->30 and then a 30->15 I've never had an issue providing power to both legs.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I should expect battery charging on 15A juice (albeit slower), I'm back to thinking that something might be up with the converter. I was running the microwave, TV and recliners on 15A so I know that outlet was serving the TT AC power. I'll definitely continue with inspecting the 50A outlet and cables too though.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I should expect battery charging on 15A juice (albeit slower), I'm back to thinking that something might be up with the converter. I was running the microwave, TV and recliners on 15A so I know that outlet was serving the TT AC power. I'll definitely continue with inspecting the 50A outlet and cables too though.
    I'd only suggested some of the things I said since you made it seem like some of your AC powered items weren't working such as the fireplace. Your converter should be plugged into an outlet. Maybe just to rule that out, plug an extension cord into the converter directly from your 15A supply and then see if your converter is giving you a DC output. If that works, you should start figuring out why you're not getting power to the converter and any other items. If the converter doesnt work at that point, then you know it's dead. I think you already mentioned it, but make sure the 2 fuses on the converter are good (they are only there for reverse polarity protection).

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast