User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boom continues

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    I should of caveated for Grand Design. I've talked to the service manager at our dealer that said they're seeing an uptick with certain brands. Unless this is your first trailer, you probably already know GD is an outlier, that's why many of us are here coming from other brands.
    My previous trailer was a Jayco that I owned for 7 years and only had 2 failures
    Ceiling fan and sail switch
    Jayco trailers are top notch in my book

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking there are going to be some good deals on used RV's in 2 to 3 years. BUT, you won't be able to sell yours to take advantage of it.
    But if you have the patience to sell now...and wait....You will probably make out pretty well.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've owned two Jaycos (pop-up and hybrid), a Crossroads travel trailer, and now a Momentum. I have to agree Jayco is great. Crossroads had a great run before being acquired.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, there are a lot newbies, like myself, jumping in to the recreation. Many will find it's not a lifestyle for them, but some will. End of the day, there will be a net increase in the RV community long term.

But with change comes opportunity. For enterprising individuals who want to take advantage of that larger market, building a new RV park, starting a mobile tech business, getting into the inspection business, and much more sure seems like it might be a good investment, especially if you can build a better mousetrap. I would imagine all boats are lifting and demand is outstripping supply everywhere, not just reserving spots.
    2021 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD SRV 6.6 Gas
    2021 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I don’t get where this “poorly built during Covid” idea is coming from
    Mine was built in at the end of 2020 and it is perfect so far

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    It may not be an issue of poor construction as it is an issue of cheap components. I can't imagine a current trailer standing up to normal use by a family with 3 kids. There are just so many things that are fragile, as well as refrigerators and A/C units that are cheaply made. It's definitely possible to keep these trailers going but it's going to take constant maintenance and cost.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I don’t get where this “poorly built during Covid” idea is coming from
    Mine was built in at the end of 2020 and it is perfect so far

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Didn’t I just read in another post from you that you haven’t even used your rig yet? So how do you know it’s perfect.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    It's not just newbies wanting to camp thats the issue. We just got back from a 10 day trip in 3 states out west. We wanted to stay out longer but were finding it difficult to get decent spots. 2 RV parks we stayed in were full of full timers. And not full timers cause they like RV'ing but full timers cause it was cheaper than a house or renting. That and the fact that most of the CG's weren't open yet since it's early in the year, made it real tough to keep traveling.
    Before Covid we would've never had this issue. IMO it's a combination of several factors thats contributing to all the over crowding.

https://www.rvtravel.com/campground-crowding997/
    The RV parks filled with FT residents are no longer RV parks but rather trailer parks.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    It may not be an issue of poor construction as it is an issue of cheap components. I can't imagine a current trailer standing up to normal use by a family with 3 kids. There are just so many things that are fragile, as well as refrigerators and A/C units that are cheaply made. It's definitely possible to keep these trailers going but it's going to take constant maintenance and cost.
    Cheap components has been an issue for over a decade
    I still have a quality Panasonic plasma that I bought in 2008. It is going strong. I have had at least 3 other ones in the past 7 years go bad. Everything uses crap boards now

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Rents are off the charts for a house. I saw many cheap $20K TT's with people obviously not full timing but working as they'd leave in the morning and return around dinner time.
    The RV park we were at was $650 mth ($750 in summer) and included utilities. Add $200 for a TT payment and thats only $850-$950 mth. Apartments around me start at $1200 and easily hit $1500 for a 1 bedroom. Then you pay utilities. Big difference between needing a big truck and traveling the USA vs staying long term in an RV park as far as costs go.
    Why my wife and I lived on a boat for 4 years - that was back in the late '70s. Apartment rents were out of sight (if you could even find one), no houses on the market unless you wanted something that needed gutting at gouge prices. I paid $950/month plus utilities for a 1bdrm in less than nice area (and that was in 1975). My slip fees were $250/month.
    Mortgage rates are so low now that gouge prices are affordable to some so even a $20K TT might be considered throw-away money in the grand scheme. Pocket the difference now because you know there will be a correction.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boom continues

Quote Originally Posted by SanDog View Post
    Yes, there are a lot newbies, like myself, jumping in to the recreation. Many will find it's not a lifestyle for them, but some will. End of the day, there will be a net increase in the RV community long term.

But with change comes opportunity. For enterprising individuals who want to take advantage of that larger market, building a new RV park, starting a mobile tech business, getting into the inspection business, and much more sure seems like it might be a good investment, especially if you can build a better mousetrap. I would imagine all boats are lifting and demand is outstripping supply everywhere, not just reserving spots.
    Welcome to RVing. Appreciate your optimism however the realities are far more stark. The number of RV campgrounds has been stagnant or decreasing for years. It takes significant capital to greenfield a campground. Known issue in the industry even before the pandemic. Increase in property values doesn’t make if viable. Here in Ohio the conversion of agriculture land to residential track housing make a park near impossible. And no one wants a campground in their backyard so zoning is a problem. Only reasonable path is higher prices for campsites. They just opened a new “luxury” campground near Kings Island amusement park north of Cincinnati to effectively replace one they had near there years ago...tore it out for more space. I kid you not, sites go for $150-180 a night before taxes. Our only hope is the state parks up their game and increase capacity.. Best seems to be plan to take up boondocking and use Public lands and rustic sites. All good. Just going to be different going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MooManChu; 04-26-2021 at 07:51 PM.
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast