Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boom continues

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boom continues

According to a survey of RV manufacturers the industry shipped 54,291 RVs in March, which was more than in any previous month in the industry's history.

Wholesale shipments of RVs in North America hit a record 148,507 units in the first quarter, nearly 10% above the previous record set in the first quarter of 2018, according to a survey of manufacturers by the RV Industry Association.

Looks like campgrounds won't get any less crowded any time soon.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boom continues

It won’t last
    People will realize Rv ing is more expensive and more work than a normal vacation and will go back to normal vacations when this BS is done

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    It won’t last
    People will realize Rv ing is more expensive and more work than a normal vacation and will go back to normal vacations when this BS is done

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I agree. There are going to be just too many people who think this camping thing is great, until they figure out that they have to maintain the rig, and buy all of those things you need to make it work. Add to that the inexperienced towers and not knowing how to book a site (all of this assumes first timers with NO experience). Some will figure it out, most won't. Hopefully things will smooth out by next year. We have pretty much all of our trips for this year booked already thankfully
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not just newbies wanting to camp thats the issue. We just got back from a 10 day trip in 3 states out west. We wanted to stay out longer but were finding it difficult to get decent spots. 2 RV parks we stayed in were full of full timers. And not full timers cause they like RV'ing but full timers cause it was cheaper than a house or renting. That and the fact that most of the CG's weren't open yet since it's early in the year, made it real tough to keep traveling.
    Before Covid we would've never had this issue. IMO it's a combination of several factors thats contributing to all the over crowding.

https://www.rvtravel.com/campground-crowding997/
    Last edited by goducks14; 04-26-2021 at 09:18 AM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boom continues

Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    It's not just newbies wanting to camp thats the issue. We just got back from a 10 day trip in 3 states out west. We wanted to stay out longer but were finding it difficult to get decent spots. 2 RV parks we stayed in were full of full timers. And not full timers cause they like RV'ing but full timers cause it was cheaper than a house or renting. That and the fact that most of the CG's weren't open yet since it's early in the year, made it real tough to keep traveling.
    Before Covid we would've never had this issue. IMO it's a combination of several factors thats contributing to all the over crowding.

https://www.rvtravel.com/campground-crowding997/
    I think if a person figured it all out full time rv ing is not cheaper than renting
    But I agree Covid has forced people to work from home ,which is a good thing from all this BS imo, and so some have decided to take it on the road
    I would in a heartbeat if it was possible

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I think if a person figured it all out full time rv ing is not cheaper than renting
    But I agree Covid has forced people to work from home ,which is a good thing from all this BS imo, and so some have decided to take it on the road
    I would in a heartbeat if it was possible

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Rents are off the charts for a house. I saw many cheap $20K TT's with people obviously not full timing but working as they'd leave in the morning and return around dinner time.
    The RV park we were at was $650 mth ($750 in summer) and included utilities. Add $200 for a TT payment and thats only $850-$950 mth. Apartments around me start at $1200 and easily hit $1500 for a 1 bedroom. Then you pay utilities. Big difference between needing a big truck and traveling the USA vs staying long term in an RV park as far as costs go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be interesting what happens to the market after 3-4 years when all these new RV owners start realizing the maintenance as trailers age. I suspect the market will be flooded with 3-4 year old trailers poorly maintained (or poorly built during COVID).

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    It will be interesting what happens to the market after 3-4 years when all these new RV owners start realizing the maintenance as trailers age. I suspect the market will be flooded with 3-4 year old trailers poorly maintained (or poorly built during COVID).
    I don’t get where this “poorly built during Covid” idea is coming from
    Mine was built in at the end of 2020 and it is perfect so far

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfgd21bhe View Post
    According to a survey of RV manufacturers the industry shipped 54,291 RVs in March, which was more than in any previous month in the industry's history.

Wholesale shipments of RVs in North America hit a record 148,507 units in the first quarter, nearly 10% above the previous record set in the first quarter of 2018, according to a survey of manufacturers by the RV Industry Association.

Looks like campgrounds won't get any less crowded any time soon.
    That's why we made all our campground reservations for our summer trip 3 months ago.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should of caveated for Grand Design. I've talked to the service manager at our dealer that said they're seeing an uptick with certain brands. Unless this is your first trailer, you probably already know GD is an outlier, that's why many of us are here coming from other brands.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast