Hi all - general question here... What is it in the 3/4 T trucks that provides the towing stability vs. 1/2 T -- tires, shocks, wheelbase, etc.? Not power or towing ability, that much is clear, but the feeling of "wind? what wind?" or "18-wheeler coming up, meh, no truck suck to worry about here!" I'm sure the answer is D) all of the above...

The real question - we love our F150, it's great for the family and serves our needs just fine. I'm well within my limits when towing, the performance is adequate (I'm not expecting power/performance of a 1T diesel), but the trailer does get a little squirrely in the wind and I notice when going by a real truck. Is there something I can adjust on the F150 that would provide a little more stability without upgrading to a 3/4T?

We currently camp maybe 1 weekend a month at a handful of campgrounds that are <100 miles from home, with a longer trip or two (<500 miles still) throughout the summer - in other words occasional camping/towing, not significant distance or terrain, so hard to justify a TV upgrade at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I've tried the pitch, "But if we had a bigger truck, think of all the trips we could take!" Insert eye roll

Anyway - spending a little $$ on shocks, tires, air bags, etc is doable, but a new truck is a bit of a stretch for our current needs.

What do y'all think?

Cheers,
-Sam

PS - if the experts tell me it can't be done (hint hint), maybe an upgrade wouldn't be so hard to sell