Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

22 MLE newbie questions ...

2 questions:

1) Is it safe to travel with a full freshwater tank (43 gallons - approx 358 pounds) and half tank gray water (22.5 - approx 187 pounds) - with a combined weight of approx 545 in total liquid weight for short or long distances ? I need to swish around my gray water tank to hopefully unstick a sensor. I cannot dump my freshwater tank (with about 2.8 cups of bleach to sanitize) at the storage location. My game plan is to tow from the storage location back to my house, approx 30 miles, to dump the freshwater tank. I will dump the gray water tank when I get to our campsite, approx 130 miles from my house. I do not plan on filling the freshwater tank at the house this time, as the campground has water hookup, although I would like to know if you all fill up the freshwater tank at home, and travel long distances?

Weight is not an issue, as I am renting a RAM 3/4 diesel truck, with a payload capacity between 3000, to 3500 pounds. If I understand the numbers, I have about 1,819 of payload for the 22MLE. With the water/gray water, that adds up to 524 pounds. I have little else in the rig, but just to be safe I would say another 50 pounds. So I think I am well within the 22MLE payload limit.

2) While de-winterizing my rig, I typically run only 1 faucet at a time. However, towards the end, I started to run 2 (one in the kitchen and the other in the bathroom - both cold water). It makes sense that the water pump had to work harder to accommodate the demands, but is that ok or safe for the pump to work that hard ??? Upon hearing the water pump work harder, I decided to slow down and just do one at a time, as I was not sure if it was safe for the water pump to work that hard.
    What says you all ??

As always, many thanks in advance and sorry for the newbie questions.

Mitch Frank
    22MLE

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it. That is what they are built for. Just don’t overload the gvwr of the trailer

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrffrank440 View Post
    2 questions:

1) Is it safe to travel with a full freshwater tank (43 gallons - approx 358 pounds) and half tank gray water (22.5 - approx 187 pounds) - with a combined weight of approx 545 in total liquid weight for short or long distances ? I need to swish around my gray water tank to hopefully unstick a sensor. I cannot dump my freshwater tank (with about 2.8 cups of bleach to sanitize) at the storage location. My game plan is to tow from the storage location back to my house, approx 30 miles, to dump the freshwater tank. I will dump the gray water tank when I get to our campsite, approx 130 miles from my house. I do not plan on filling the freshwater tank at the house this time, as the campground has water hookup, although I would like to know if you all fill up the freshwater tank at home, and travel long distances?

Weight is not an issue, as I am renting a RAM 3/4 diesel truck, with a payload capacity between 3000, to 3500 pounds. If I understand the numbers, I have about 1,819 of payload for the 22MLE. With the water/gray water, that adds up to 524 pounds. I have little else in the rig, but just to be safe I would say another 50 pounds. So I think I am well within the 22MLE payload limit.

2) While de-winterizing my rig, I typically run only 1 faucet at a time. However, towards the end, I started to run 2 (one in the kitchen and the other in the bathroom - both cold water). It makes sense that the water pump had to work harder to accommodate the demands, but is that ok or safe for the pump to work that hard ??? Upon hearing the water pump work harder, I decided to slow down and just do one at a time, as I was not sure if it was safe for the water pump to work that hard.
    What says you all ??

Mitch Frank
    22MLE
    You should be fine as long as you don't exceed the GVWR of the TT. For the 22mle that's 6995. The tw and the payload of the TV will be adequate.
    Check out this geo method for your sensors, it's what a lot of us use. https://kleentank.com/the-geo-method/ and it helps with the sensors.
    As for the pump, I'd do only 1 faucet at a time.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD tech support recommended the dawn treatment (about 1/2 cup) but did not mention the water softener. Really liked the link you sent me,(https://kleentank.com/the-geo-method/ ) and will try this method. Which Calgon water softener do you use ?

I am guessing you have had this issue as well. Has this really resolved the sticky sensor issue that seems to be common in most RV's ??

Mitch Frank
    22 MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD tech support recommended the dawn treatment (about 1/2 cup) but did not mention the water softener. Really liked the link you sent me,(https://kleentank.com/the-geo-method/ ) and will try this method. Which Calgon water softener do you use ?

I am guessing you have had this issue as well. Has this really resolved the sticky sensor issue that seems to be common in most RV's ??

Mitch Frank
    22 MLE
    We use the liquid one. We use that geo method in the black and grey tanks.
    Those sensors are notoriously a pain. We did start to have issues at the beginning and it went away after using this instade of the chemicals packs that the tt came with.
    PS. When replying to someone, best to use thevreply with quotes. That way we know who you are replying to and that person will get a notification. [emoji6]
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 questions:

What says you all ??

Mitch Frank
    22MLE
    1. Yes, you can tow with full (or nearly full) tanks. As noted, just be sure you're still within tow weight limits. We always travel with about 1/3 tank fresh water. You never know when you may have to make an emergency potty stop. Or be flagged off the highway due to an accident or high wind conditions (that's what happened to use - 6 hours on the side of the highway with at least 100 other RVs and big rigs).

As an aside - be aware the sensors are notorious for bad readings. Like most of us, you learn to know when your tanks are full, or nearing full, after much use.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    PS. When replying to someone, best to use thevreply with quotes. That way we know who you are replying to and that person will get a notification. [emoji6]
    Newbie... thanks!
    Mitch Frank
    22 MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a full tank to Surfside beach boondocking. No problem at all.