User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine Grey Tank Dump Valves Stuck Closed

We used a weekend camping trip at a park with full hook-ups as an opportunity to de-winterize the plumbing system on our Imagine 2800BH. Flushing the antifreeze out of the water lines and dumping the black tank went fine. However, when it came time to dump the grey tanks, neither of the handles would budge (Imagine 2800BH has two grey tanks; one for the kitchen sink, and one for the bathroom sink and shower).

At this time I don't know whether the problem is with the valves or the cables that operate the valves. I've read suggestions to try lubricating the cable with a penetrating product like PB B'laster. However, there is a length of shaft at the end of the cable that the T-handle fastens to, and I'm not sure that spraying lubricant around this shaft will result in much (if any) of the lubricant reaching the cable and sheathing.

Any suggestions for how to un-stick the grey tank dump valves?
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Wow Joe, thats a tough one. I wouldn't want to believe it was stuck at the tank valve. Most likely right at the dump handle since they are more exposed to the elements. And hopefully only the first 1/4 to 1/2 inch in the outer tube just in from the dump handle. Maybe you could use a lubricant spray can that has one of those tiny red spray tubes attached and put it right up against where the handle goes into the outer tube and force via spray pressure lubricant in there. Work the handle back and forth a little at a time to try and free it up.

'you could try a hair dryer to heat up the tube right behind the handle, maybe a little expansion of the tube will free it up?
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jw^2 family View Post
    We used a weekend camping trip at a park with full hook-ups as an opportunity to de-winterize the plumbing system on our Imagine 2800BH. Flushing the antifreeze out of the water lines and dumping the black tank went fine. However, when it came time to dump the grey tanks, neither of the handles would budge (Imagine 2800BH has two grey tanks; one for the kitchen sink, and one for the bathroom sink and shower).

At this time I don't know whether the problem is with the valves or the cables that operate the valves. I've read suggestions to try lubricating the cable with a penetrating product like PB B'laster. However, there is a length of shaft at the end of the cable that the T-handle fastens to, and I'm not sure that spraying lubricant around this shaft will result in much (if any) of the lubricant reaching the cable and sheathing.

Any suggestions for how to un-stick the grey tank dump valves?
    Hi Joe,

The cause of the sticking is likely to be at one end or the other . . . the wire cable is a pretty loose fit in the sheath for most of the run. The handle has about 6" of rod behind it that is a snug fit to the outer cable sheath. Try a lubricating spray and a back-and-forth twisting motion to see if you can break this free. If you can twist the handle (a small amount) this would indicate that the sticking is at the other end, at the gate valve. There is a relatively large seal-to-blade surface and if something has affected the rubber and caused it to swell against the sliding blade . . . this could be the problem.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I despise the cable valve system. I had the same issue and had both my grey tank valves and cables replaced. I tried lubing the handle end of the cable by spraying it with lube and attempted to lube the valves by pouring coconut oil down the drain.

That said, my grey tanks work fine now (replaced last season); but now I feel my black tank valve is tight. Wishing I had them all done at once.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    I despise the cable valve system. I had the same issue and had both my grey tank valves and cables replaced. I tried lubing the handle end of the cable by spraying it with lube and attempted to lube the valves by pouring coconut oil down the drain.

That said, my grey tanks work fine now (replaced last season); but now I feel my black tank valve is tight. Wishing I had them all done at once.
    Hey Keebler . . . did you ever learn exactly what was binding in the replaced cables & gate valves?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All three of my cables are hard hopping that they don't break like they did on my old trailer.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hey Keebler . . . did you ever learn exactly what was binding in the replaced cables & gate valves?

Rob
    The tech that did my work told me it was a bend radius issue for both grey cables. However, he also told me my black cable looked reasonable and didn't change it at the time. Now that my black cable is feeling very tight to me, I am not so sure. I guess it could be a different cause for the black cable/valve. I just know that the Valterra gate valve I have on at the end works so perfectly. That being a "direct rod" system; I have been blaming the cable. That said, I have seen the pictures with construction debris damaging the valves, so, maybe two different root causes at play.

I am somewhat relieved that the grey cable/valves feel so smooth now. I just hate the anxiety I feel now every time I go to empty the black tank. A literal crap shoot, if you will. I have been using spray lube on the handle end and the coconut oil into the commode every trip.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    The tech that did my work told me it was a bend radius issue for both grey cables. However, he also told me my black cable looked reasonable and didn't change it at the time. Now that my black cable is feeling very tight to me, I am not so sure. I guess it could be a different cause for the black cable/valve. I just know that the Valterra gate valve I have on at the end works so perfectly. That being a "direct rod" system; I have been blaming the cable. That said, I have seen the pictures with construction debris damaging the valves, so, maybe two different root causes at play.

I am somewhat relieved that the grey cable/valves feel so smooth now. I just hate the anxiety I feel now every time I go to empty the black tank. A literal crap shoot, if you will. I have been using spray lube on the handle end and the coconut oil into the commode every trip.
    I know exactly what you mean by the "anxiety" every time you wonder if this is going to be the time that the gate valve won't open or won't close. I went a little "overboard" on mine. A lot of the friction was the original cable routing. I followed the Valterra instructions (the OE routing wasn't even close) . . . even getting a longer cable for one of my valves. Then I cut apart one of the old gate valves to figure out what was going on in there. The cavity that the gate pulls back into when you open it, is supposed to stay empty . . . but, it doesn't. So, I put zerk grease fittings on my new gate valves so that I can force this back cavity to be full of grease . . . not the crap from the tank. I have easily opened access doors in the underbelly, so getting to these zerk fittings is easy for me . . . would be a PITA if you had to drop the coroplast to get to these. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...009#post166009

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 05-09-2019 at 07:02 AM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    ...The handle has about 6" of rod behind it that is a snug fit to the outer cable sheath. Try a lubricating spray and a back-and-forth twisting motion to see if you can break this free...
    Good news! After spaying some penetrating lubricant on the rods a couple times earlier this week, I used some Vice-Grip pliers to twist the rods. With a little effort, the rods broke loose from their housings and then I was able to pull them out to open the valves. Both grey tanks are now empty, and I'll be liberally applying lubricant to the rods / cables in an effort to avoid repeating this problem.

Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a new to me used imagine xls 22RBE trailer. Initially grey dump valve T handle pulled real hard. I've seen in other posts about lubrication of dump valve cables. I will try next. Best lubrication to use on cables? Is it worth it to use dump tank valve lubricant made by Thetford. $7.19 /bottle. Does it help? Or others use vegetable oils or coconut oil. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast