Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll have way better luck with LT's as they are designed more for carrying a load vs P's which most likely are designed for a better (more car like) ride. LT's do have stiffer sidewalls. No matter which tires you have, make sure they're filled to the maximum pressure rating as marked on the side of the tires.

John

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the exact same rig as you (except out 2670MK is a 2018) and had the same white knuckle towing experience at first. I talked to my campground neighbor who towed his with a 2500 and he had the same problem also.

I finally got it dialed in and it tows rather well. This was accomplished by setting our Blue Ox wdh on the 11th link (the max according to the factory service rep), upgrading our springs to 2400#, replacing our stock equalizer with a Dexter EZflex (not enough clearance for MORyde) and adding Sumo compression springs. Since we were working on the suspension anyway, we replaced the shackles with the Dexter heavy duty ones and wet bolts.

Because the truck would "porpoise" some when we hit a bump, I replaced the Chevy bump stops with Sumo compression springs, which fixed the problem.

When we first got the rig, the only things we kept in the pass thru cargo compartment were the electric cable and water hoses. This wasn't very stable, so I started towing with 20 gallons of fresh water, which made a big improvement. Now that we have added more cargo weight, I only keep 5 gallons in the tank so we can flush the toilet etc. while in route. We keep the tires inflated to 80psi, however there is a small amount of wobble when I first start towing, until the tires heat up and the tire pressure reaches 84-85 psi.

With this setup, my tongue weight is 920-940 lbs (cat scale weight), which is within spec.

I know you asked about tires, but I wanted to share with you how we fixed our problem--incidently with information from this forum.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the info RicknBobbie. So far I have upgraded my hitch to the Equalizer 14,000/1,400 since my tongue weight was pushing 1,200, and upgraded to "E" LT tires. Still have a lot of movement in the truck and "suck" from passing vehicles. With regards to the "E" rated tires, everyone says to run at 80psi when towing, does that include both front and rear or just rear? For my truck, the recommended psi after upgrading to "E" tires is 44psi. When increasing to 65 or 70 psi, it felt like I was riding on balloons and was all over the place.
    I will look into the suspension upgrades for the trailer and hope this helps some.
    2021 Imagine 2670MK
    2016 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab Short Bed 5.3L

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12