Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Distance needed between a toolbox and hitch to open jaws on B&W hitch

I have a custom tool box in my Ford 250. There is only 6.5 inches between the first puck hole (ford puck system) and the toolbox. I'm wanting to purchase a B&W companion but i've noticed the handle to disengage the jaws moves forward quite a bit. I'm afraid it will hit the toolbox before disengaging the jaws. Can anyone measure the distance from their puck hole to the furthest point on the handle? This would greatly appreciate it!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    I have a custom tool box in my Ford 250. There is only 6.5 inches between the first puck hole (ford puck system) and the toolbox. I'm wanting to purchase a B&W companion but i've noticed the handle to disengage the jaws moves forward quite a bit. I'm afraid it will hit the toolbox before disengaging the jaws. Can anyone measure the distance from their puck hole to the furthest point on the handle? This would greatly appreciate it!
    Short answer (for my BW 20k# RVK3300 w/RVB300 base for Ford factory puck system) is 6" to the "open" position, 8-1/2" to max forward/max open position (spring tension will return it to the "open" position). I do not know if the king pin hits the jaws (not perfectly centered) during hitching or unhitching, if that forces the arm forward or not). These are eye ball measurements using a plumb bob draped over the operating arm and a tape measure from the center of the front mounting puck.

Due to parallax, you cannot read the measurement from the pictures. This is only to how I got the measurements.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211128_114946.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	37916

Hope this helps

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for measuring! When you assembled you BW did you adjust it so the head is mounted back away from the cab as far as possible? You can reverse the two arms holding the head for maximum cab clearance.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for measuring! When you assembled you BW did you adjust it so the head is mounted back away from the cab as far as possible? You can reverse the two arms holding the head for maximum cab clearance.
    Thank you very much for measuring! When you assembled you BW did you adjust it so the head is mounted back away from the cab as far as possible? You can reverse the two arms holding the head for maximum cab clearance.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BWCompanionOEMBase_2_500.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	37919
    Last edited by Maximus216; 11-28-2021 at 05:14 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Head is furthest away from cab

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023