User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heavy Duty Bed Struts

We replaced our queen mattress with a 12" thick hybrid mattress (spring and memory foam) and it weighs 93 pounds. I need to replace the struts. Does anyone have any recommendations of what brand to get and what weight rating I should be looking at? Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    We replaced our queen mattress with a 12" thick hybrid mattress (spring and memory foam) and it weighs 93 pounds. I need to replace the struts. Does anyone have any recommendations of what brand to get and what weight rating I should be looking at? Thanks
    My OEM struts are 80lb. I tried the BedLift Kit with 150lb. struts, but they were too strong on my king mattress.
    I moved the bottom strut brackets toward foot of bed and the 80lb work fine.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Hatchlift-B.../dp/B00KPR2DZI
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BedLift Kit - Bottom Brackets toward End.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	33694

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...d-shock-struts
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Gene. I did a search here for Struts, bed struts and gas struts. I didn't see that thread. I'll try the movement of the Strut first.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The current struts should have the size (lift range and weight) on them them. Check that and order weigth about 5 or 10 lbs over the weight you need to lift. Too light and it won't stay up, but too much and it will be up when you don't want it too.
    TexSon
    San Antonio, Tx
    2021 Reflections 315RLTS
    2020 Silverado HD3500 Durmax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried moving the strut location to a couple of different positions. Neither helped at all. I ended up buying 120 pound struts to replace the 80 pound struts that were factory installed and put them in the same original position. Now the bed lifts easily and wants to stay up but I still have to use a 2X2 to keep it propped up. It slowly closes without the 2X2. That's ok with me. The bed lifts easy and my wife is happy.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    I tried moving the strut location to a couple of different positions. Neither helped at all. I ended up buying 120 pound struts to replace the 80 pound struts that were factory installed and put them in the same original position. Now the bed lifts easily and wants to stay up but I still have to use a 2X2 to keep it propped up. It slowly closes without the 2X2. That's ok with me. The bed lifts easy and my wife is happy.
    Could you please give link to the ones you purchased. I'm interested.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Could you please give link to the ones you purchased. I'm interested.
    I bought these. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P3NXT3B...roduct_details
    I just took one bracket off and unscrewed the strut. Screwed the new strut in both ends and reattached the bracket. 10 minute job.
    Like I said though, my bed weighs 93 pounds and these struts still won't hold the bed up. It slowly lowers without the 2X2 but they are a huge improvement.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve used these folks for all sorts of struts. https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com Give them a call with your OEM strut info, tell them what you are trying to accomplish and they will guide you on selecting a new strut. If the new struts don’t work, they will send you a different strut to try at no charge.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)