Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flojet macerator pump

Hi all!

So with everything pretty much shut down because of Covid, we have been camping in the back yard pretty much every weekend...it could be worse! Last November we picked up a 2018 Imagine 2670MK the had been used just one season. The original owners had bought it to travel in their retirement, but their plans were cut short when the husband suddenly took ill and passed away. His wife had Campers Inn take the trailer and sell it for her on consignment so she could pay off the loan. We haven't been able to get to a campground yet..things are just starting to open up now.

So now to the point. Weekend camping in the yard, we use the house bathrooms during the day, and the camper bathrooms at night. The tanks were starting to get pretty full. I have a treeline where I can let the gray water go, but certainly not the black. There are a few local campgrounds that I could tow to and pay to use their dump stations, but instead I chose to buy the Flojet RV macerator pump. I have a cleanout in my basement workshop, and I bought various plumbing bits and pieces to reduce it down to accept a garden hose rather than just empty into the basement level toilet. This way the system is "closed" and there are no odors.

I bought a 3/4" contractor grade 100' hose, ran it where I needed to, and cut it down to about 85'. I have a female connector on both ends, so now that will be the only thing that this hose is used for. On the extra 15' pc I put a new connector so I have a new hose to use for the black tank flush. I am pumping uphill about 8 feet or so. I had no problems at all, everything worked better than I honestly expected it to.

On thing I found out though...it appears that when Campers Inn winterized the camper, they never flushed out the tanks. Also, the original owners last camping trip was at a park where they had full hookups. They were newbies...and since they had a sewer hookup, they connected the sewer line and opened all three gate valves and left them that way for the whole stay. Much to our surprise, there was a lot of "solid" material that we flushed out, and we know it was not ours, because we have never deposited any in any camper we have owned. It took about about 8 flush and dumps (using the black tank flush) to finally get it rinsed out. Then we turned our attention to the gray tank #2 (the bathroom tank). What a surprise to see toilet paper and small bits of "organic" matter come out of there also! That's when we figured out what they had done. Leaving all of the gate valves open made one big tank for everything. Luckily the gray tank #1 (kitchen sink) wasn't as bad, a few bits but I guess the tank was far enough away that most of the bad stuff stayed closer to home.

So after about 2 hours, and many flush-refill-dump cycles, all of the tanks are rinsed clean, and my monitors are reading correctly. I know I could not have taken that long if I was at a dump station. Usually in October we take our last trip for the season, and I get a site with sewer hookup so I can clean out all of the tanks and winterize when I get back home. The Flojet exceeded my expectations, handled everything with ease, and I am glad I got it. Now I can say I have a private campground with water, electric, sewer hookup, and internet!
    Last edited by Misterpiano; 06-25-2020 at 07:13 PM.
    2022 Reflection 150 series 295RL
    2020 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab Long Bed, 7.3 Godzilla & 3.73 rear end
    (previous) 2018 Imagine 2670MK
    2016 Ford F250 Lariat Supercab, 6.2 gasser, 3002 lbs payload

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have thought about getting one.
    The right tool for the job somewhere and you found it. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve never used the Flojet, but I do use a Sanicon macerating pump. I cannot say enough good things about using a macerating pump to dump the tanks.
    Dennis, Pat, Prince and the Lady - Western New York
    2018 Solitude 310GK- 2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW - Blue Ox Super Ride

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a Flojet for several years. I made hoses from 3/4" pond or water feature hose, it's light and coils easily for storage. The pump doesn't like to be run dry, it'll start to bind and blow the 20A fuse in the switch handle. And there's no "rush" of water to help empty solids from the black tank. I use a toilet wand combined with the on-board tank rinser and clean until the sensor reads Empty.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using a FloJet for a couple of years now. I have a 3/4" hose run permanently to a clean out on my property with a homemade adapter cap I devised for that purpose. I never use a campground or public dump station any more. It's much more convenient, and I can flush the black tank as much as needed until the water runs fairly clear, without worrying about how many campers are waiting to dump behind me. I also installed a 12v 20 amp receptacle in my pass through and added an extension cord and plug to the pump so I just plug in to the trailer to run the FloJet.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nadkaw1957 View Post
    I have been using a FloJet for a couple of years now. I have a 3/4" hose run permanently to a clean out on my property with a homemade adapter cap I devised for that purpose. I never use a campground or public dump station any more. It's much more convenient, and I can flush the black tank as much as needed until the water runs fairly clear, without worrying about how many campers are waiting to dump behind me. I also installed a 12v 20 amp receptacle in my pass through and added an extension cord and plug to the pump so I just plug in to the trailer to run the FloJet.
    That's what I decided to do. I am adding a 12v 20amp port to the side of the trailer, right near the power cord receptacle, on my 2670MK the power center is right thru that wall. I have a Victron 712 battery monitor installed so I did not want to use alligator clips to the battery. I am going to add another fused circuit to the power center for that port.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    85’ of 3/4” hose and an 8’ lift is very impressive. I’ve had a FloJet for a couple of years. Not many dump stations in our area and even if there was, when returning from a trip and using the facilities on the road, it seemed like a great idea to get a way to dump holding tanks at home or to be able to flush winterizing antifreeze out. Best investment I’ve made to date.
    I had an old 3/4” 50 foot garden hose and from where my unit is parked to the garage level toilet is about 45’. Lift is only a couple of feet. Takes longer to get the hose, pump and battery out than it does to actually pump.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Ryan View Post
    Flojet works very well when you need to pump poo uphill. I bought a 3/4 hose and pump poo uphill about 100′ without any issue. I would warn about one thing when using this product and that is making sure it is not hooked up to power when moving it around. The button is sensitive and if you are moving it and the button hits the ground you will have poop everywhere!. I added several feet of wire to the pump so that it could reach my batteries at the front of my RV and was still several feet short. I plan on rewiring it again so that I don’t have to move a battery to the pump to make it work. That being said I have two black water tanks to the back one is very far from the front of the RV. If you need to pump poo over a long distance this product is for you, don’t hesitate on making the purchase!
    You could make a pig tail to connect to the trailer plug at the rear of the truck. Then you just turn the parking lights on to pump
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did end up adding a 12v port on the trailer right above my drain hookup, and ran it into the power center so it is fused for 20 amps. I put a label right under it stating it is 12V 20A so that if I ever trade in the trailer the next owner would know what it is.

Columbus Day weekend we camped at a full hookup site and I drained and rinsed out the tanks. Last weekend I winterized and figured I would take my time and backflush and drain the tanks again. It is real convenient to be able to do this at home and I am happy I purchased the Flojet.

Happy Camping!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on my Flojet: I had the pump jam during our last camping trip. I fished some broken impeller blades out of the discharge port and got it working enough to finish the trip. After I got home I tore it down and found the remaining 2 impeller blades were cracked. In all fairness I did run the pump backwards accidentally when wiring the power, a big no-no. A Google search showed the impeller was a Jasco part, readily available on Amazon. It now works like new and it won't dissuade me from using it.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast