Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaf Spring Bushing

After a fun night at a rest stop in Saskatchewan replacing a rear leaf spring and now seeing another leaf spring problem in another forum, I have questions.

After removing the broken left rear leaf spring, with the bolt and leaf spring eye still in the hanger just the spring broke, I noticed there was no bushing in the eye. A person with a broken wet bolt posted in another GD forum had no bushing in his leaf spring eye. Is this normal?

I am just a shade tree mechanic and have did some suspension work on trailers in the past and always had bushings. In one trailer it only had the worn out neoprene bushings but they were still there just worn out.

What happened to the bushings?

The funny part is, the spring broke while going to have the Morryde IS installed. Made it almost all the way from Alaska. I will be interested to find out if the other springs are missing bushings while removing the springs during the install.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m the guy that posted the story of the missing bushing discovered when replacing a plugged wet bolt. I put a new bushing in there when I put the new wet bolt in. But was too lazy to pull the others to check them. So not sure. But I did pump plenty of grease in ‘em and hope for the best.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax