User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke611 View Post
    Hello to all from central Kansas. My wife and I are waiting to take delivery of our first ever trailer. Our local dealership has a Momentum 29g on order, and is expecting delivery within a month or so. We will almost definitely sign papers for it when it arrives. I am hoping to gain knowledge about Grand Design, and the RV experience in general. I have found that forums are an excellent way to obtain that information.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Hello from Rose Hill. If I can help you out PM me.
    Tom, GD2500RL
    Thomas & Makiko
    2021 GD2500RL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does the door sticker say your trucks cargo carrying capacity is? The brochure hitch weight for my trailer is 480 lbs. Actual hitch weight when loaded for a trip is 960 lbs. Your brochure hitch weight is 1600 lbs. Once you fill your propane tanks and stock your trailer for a trip I can pretty much guarantee it will be higher than 1600 lbs and it could be higher by several hundred lbs especially after adding a weight distributing hitch which generally weigh 100+ lbs. The hitch weight has to be subtracted from the cargo carrying capacity of your truck. Unless you have the heavy duty package my guess is you will be considerably over your cargo carrying capacity before you and your wife ever get in the truck.

Does your truck have the tow package which generally includes a brake controller, enhanced engine oil and transmission fluid cooling, better brakes and beefed up suspension? It's not just about pulling the trailer down the road. My previous Tacoma could do that. It's about pulling it uphill and more importantly safely down hill. Does your truck have tow haul mode which helps control your speed when going down hill so you don't burn up your brakes?

Finding the towing capacity of your truck could be difficult given it's age. You can start here: https://vehhistory.com/towing-capaci...fications/ford Without spending a lot of time the best information I could find was a 1996 F150 with a 5.0L V8 had a maximum towing capacity of 7100 lbs. That's 1600 lbs under your trailers UVW. Now depending on your actual truck configuration and other considerations your truck could very will have a greater towing capacity. Point is you don't know until you have found all the true numbers.

Personally, other than towing your trailer from the dealer to it's storage location, I wouldn't take it on any trips with my F150 which has a tow capacity of 10,500 lbs and a cargo carrying capacity of 1741 lbs especially if there are hills involved. In the end safety is paramount and ultimately whether or not you are safe in your rig is a decision you have to make.

Having said all that congratulations on your new trailer. Have fun and enjoy.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a f250 with the 6.0 and loved it, traded it in with 427,000 miles and never had it in the shop for anything but routine maintenance. We were old school though, oil changes every 3,000 and all fuel and air filter, etc done according to schedule done at the dealer. Guess we had one of the few good ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabby1987 View Post
    We had a f250 with the 6.0 and loved it, traded it in with 427,000 miles and never had it in the shop for anything but routine maintenance. We were old school though, oil changes every 3,000 and all fuel and air filter, etc done according to schedule done at the dealer. Guess we had one of the few good ones.
    I'm guessing without a tuner.

2018 F-250 crew cab 6.7 Powerstroke
    2022 Grand Design Momentum 349m
    https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct, nothing that wasn’t stock on the truck.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also didn’t putter around town with the truck. We are ranchers so we used it, usually had a cattle trailer hooked up and mostly highway driving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The verdict is in.

That poor truck grunted and groaned pulling the 31g. On level ground, with a tailwind around 20 mph, I *eventually* got up to 70 mph. Hills are a different story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My diesel F-250 arrives today.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke611 View Post
    My diesel F-250 arrives today.

Congrats! Did you find a new one or used? What does the yellow sticker in the jamb show payload capacity is? The new 6.7 will pull that trailer, or any for that matter, without an issue. It all comes down to payload.
    2020 337RLS
    2018 F350 4WD CCLB Dually Diesel
    2010 FLHTCU and 2021 Explorer
    USAF 19th SPS Veteran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lightly used, 26k mile 2018

According to the web, 3470. Towing is around 14,000