User Tag List

Thread: Starting Over

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting Over

If you see the Avatar you might understand the heading for the post. Brief history as to how I got to this site. Been camping since the late 70's. I have camped in I guess a normal progression, tent, truck with a shell, then 8' overhead camper, tent trailer, Hybrid tent hard shell, finally (we thought) a 2015 Outdoors RV Blackstone 280RLS bumper pull. My wife and I spent 5 years (after buying trailer) preparing and planning a year plus trip around the US. Well the third day into our adventure a 23 year old darting in and out of traffic (probably all of you have experienced these type of drivers) on the I15 corridor just south of Victorville, CA, shot out from behind us, and lost control of the car. The person swerved left, over corrected and shot to the right hitting the trailer at the front. It jacked knifed us, then the trailer disconnected from the truck. It not only disconnected but tore the receiver off the truck never releasing the emergency brake. The truck then went over on the driver side and eventually ended coming to a stop on it's roof. The trailer ended up on it's side (driver) 50 to 75 yards further down the freeway. My wife and our lab were asleep when this all happened. Fortunately and I mean FORTUNATELY all three of us walked away from this disaster unscathed. My wife suffered 2 little cuts from the glass while crawling out of the truck. Both of my vehicles were declared total losses. I have bought another truck and after looking around we decided on a Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel. Was going to buy new but came across a 2020 that was in showroom condition (it's been in storage in his out building built for the RV) that had everything we wanted in a new one except the price. We just took our first trip of about 200 miles with it. So there you have it. Found this site and have been learning a lot about our unit. My wife loves this unit (so do I).

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum! That's quite the incident, I'm glad everyone was ok. Feel free to ask questions, plenty of good info and people here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah. That's a story! Glad you're with us and not giving up. Be safe out there!
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome and you are to be congratulated on your bravery for not giving up on RVing.
    Stay safe and happy camping:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Welcome to the forum, 2) so sorry about the accident!, and 3) we loved our 337 - great floor plan.

You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Happy camping!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umph! The forces of the Universe were with you that ill-fated day! Glad to have you back in the driver's seat and with us! Welcome.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard!

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My goodness, that's quite the scary accident ! Good to hear you all came out of that in good shape all things considered. Enjoy your new 337, one of GDRVs best sellers.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would like to thank all of you for welcoming me. It has been an arduous journey. As far as moving on with rving, I rely on a saying from an old Clint Eastwood movie that goes like this; "Well punk, do you feel lucky". Oops wrong movie sorry. The saying I actually use goes, "You have to adjust and overcome". My wife although, had and still has some issues since the accident. It took her several weeks before she would even look at another rig. When she did, we went to a dealer that had Grand Designs. The salesman showed us a couple of bumper pulls and then asked us if we ever considered a fifth wheel. He told us the lengths we were looking at (our old rig was 34'6" bumper pull) would be safer in a fifth wheel. That was all my wife needed to hear. We looked at a few fifth wheelers he had in stock, one being the 337RLS he had just got in stock. My wife on the way home said "if you ever want me to go rving again it has to be that unit". My reply to her was "yes dear, whatever you say dear, your always right dear". That night we decided to go back and buy the 337RLS. That night I just happen to look at the RV Trader for that rig. Lo and behold I found one just listed in Texas (we were in CA at our sons house) which by the pictures seemed to be in pristine condition and a fair price. Sent him an email right then and the next morning he called me. After a few questions I told him I would buy it. Three days later my buddy and I headed to Texas and picked it up. When we got there and saw it for the first time it was in better condition than I thought it would be. So again thanks for all your nice replies.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS 5th Wheel (Solar Coming)
    07 Classic GMC CC/SB 2500HD 4WD Duramax (Mods Coming)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, [emoji2962] sure glad you all came out of that ok and welcome to the group.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE