User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    single Li-Ion would fit the bill. Light and transportable. I think a 27F weighs about 50 lbs, last i checked the Li-ion were just a bit over half that. Look at it this way, these batteries vary in price based on the features and capabilities, however big picture, if you plunge into a Li-Ion it will outlive any flooded cell or AGM significantly (from what I read, not actual experience) and you may come close to breaking even over time. I'd love to go Li-Ion, but can't justify the cost based on the use case here. Just need enough juice at night to run gas fridge, furnace and couple cpap machines. Once sun comes up, fire up the onboard gen. Guess the first night we run out of power my opinion will change .
    That's how I'm looking at it. The initial outlay for Li-Ion is tough, and since I already have the small solar and heavy genset I'll see how it works out.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    That's how I'm looking at it. The initial outlay for Li-Ion is tough, and since I already have the small solar and heavy genset I'll see how it works out.
    just keep in mind your cash outlay (proabably) also includes swapping out the OEM converter. Mine from the factory is not spec'd to charge Li-Ion. Have to assume that is the case across GD line but you can check your manual.

BTW, following your logic on storage theft risks, do you also pull your propane tanks when you take the trailer to the storage facility. We have a storage place up the road and someone had said those disappear frequently there. Heck, since COVID broke last year, my old storage place got hit by someone stealing the catalytic converters off all the motorhomes. Now that would really @$%% me off.
    Last edited by MooManChu; 05-13-2021 at 03:15 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    just keep in mind your cash outlay (proabably) also includes swapping out the OEM converter. Mine from the factory is not spec'd to charge Li-Ion. Have to assume that is the case across GD line but you can check your manual.

BTW, following your logic on storage theft risks, do you also pull your propane tanks when you take the trailer to the storage facility. We have a storage place up the road and someone had said those disappear frequently there. Heck, since COVID broke last year, my old storage place got hit by someone stealing the catalytic converters off all the motorhomes. Now that would really @$%% me off.
    Yes, I included the convertor. No, I leave the bottles on. My facility does not allow anyone in between 9PM and 6AM, and they have good lighting, motion sensors, and many cameras. It is a pretty secure place. I figure that the battery is the easiest and quickest thing to disappear. I have thought about putting a lock on the bottles but haven't done it yet.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 390RK came with only one, very low end battery that would completely discharge if the rig was not used for over a month even if we used the battery disconnect switch so Im sure the parasitic drain is more significant than I anticipated. I did a couple of things to alleviate the issue.
    1) We now keep my RV plugged into 110 when not in use since we live in the country parking is not an issue.
    2) I am in the process of installing a DC to DC charger for topping off during travel days
    3) We have upgraded our battery bank to four 100 amp hr. Battle Born LiFePo4 batteries so that we are not always committed to staying at RV parks on travel days. I may need to add more batteries but that is yet to be determined. The batteries are a very expensive investment but I am working toward being self sufficient with a large solar system
    4) We also purchased a small inverter generator to help top the batteries if needed.

We spent about 120 days in our RV since purchasing Oct. 2020 and have learned creative ways conserve energy by life experiences, following forums and youtube videos.
    2021 Grand Design Solitude 390RK

Mike Allaman
    Lakin, KS. 67860

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123