User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Number of batteries

My past experience with Hydraulic levelers and slideouts has been that the system really needs two batteries. My 2021 Solitude only came with one battery.

Is this normal?
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. The dealers are responsible for batteries and unless you specified the number or type of batteries during your purchase negotiations 1 is all you typically get. I think most dealers use Interstate group 24.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    My past experience with Hydraulic levelers and slideouts has been that the system really needs two batteries. My 2021 Solitude only came with one battery.

Is this normal?
    It's totally up to the dealer that you bought it from. The trailers leave the factory with no battery installed in them. When the dealers receive the unit and do their prep work to get it ready for sale, they are the ones that put in a battery or....if you request it during the negotiations process, two, four, whatever. They also are the ones that fill the propane tanks when the trailer arrives. Hope this helps.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solitude and Momentum call out for Group 27 batteries, if you read the owner's manual.

We put 27's in Reflections also.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine came with a 27.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the same battery topic....does anyone know the approximate drain on the battery from running slides in and out. I got 3 or 4 slide run in/outs on my battery before it was done (both hydraulic and the Schwintek). I'm trying to figure out of I have a bad battery.

FWIW, the trailer had only been plugged in for two days before this. I have to assume it was fully charged, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Celt
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the same battery topic....does anyone know the approximate drain on the battery from running slides in and out. I got 3 or 4 slide run in/outs on my battery before it was done (both hydraulic and the Schwintek). I'm trying to figure out of I have a bad battery.

FWIW, the trailer had only been plugged in for two days before this. I have to assume it was fully charged, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Celt
    Your question is simple enough but the motors are not the only consistent draw. I don't have specifics since those motors are specific to the slides you have, however I recently was running the numbers when upgrading to a new battery configuration and I found rough numbers from a couple forums like this one ->https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm

So, if the motors are around ~13amps, and you run them for lets say 60-90 seconds, you can calculate amp hours roughly.

That stated, I've had bad/abused batteries not holding a charge and they still were able to power my slides when I boondocked, so yes I think you either have a battery with bad cells or your converter isnt working. I will tell you that the traditional lead acid flooded marine batteries do not fair well when drained past 50% capacity and won't recharge to their stated amp hour capacity. Not to go on a rant about lousy service departments, but the last three services I had at the dealer, they left the battery connected and a light on because I've had a completely dead battery when I picked it up. From the research I did, you significantly reduce the capacity of a battery just running it down once. If you want specifics on the degradation rates, there are tons of sites/forums out there that talk about the specifics. I was really shocked to find out how much damage running a battery down just one time causes. That's why it makes sense when I read about upgrading to AGM and Lithium batteries that are 2x-5x more expensive, it is those types of batteries ability to retaining charging capacity when drained.

FWIW, I dumped the battery that came in my trailer for a set of 6v golf cart flooded batteries.
    Last edited by MooManChu; 04-29-2021 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    FWIW, I dumped the battery that came in my trailer for a set of 6v golf cart flooded batteries.
    How much better do you find the golf batteries to be? What kind of battery did you replace?
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    How much better do you find the golf batteries to be? What kind of battery did you replace?
    Only had one trip out overnight but so far so good. I had a Deka 27M from the dealer. The upgrade tripled my Ah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this normal?
    Read about the different types of batteries.
    Think about where you will / want to camp. Power post or maybe no power post.
    Do you have the residential frig? You will need a bigger battery bank.

I purchased 2 group 31 AGM batteries and 6 months later decided to go with 4 100AH lithium batteries / plus a small solar array. Don't do it twice like I did. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast