Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tandem towing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tandem towing?

Anyone tandem towing with their 5th wheel? Such as small trailer or small car?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bob View Post
    I pull a small trailer with a golf cart behind ours. I did add a 7“ hitch extender because I found in tight turns the small trailer can get really close to the back of the 5th wheel due to it being so wide. No problems. With the backup camera we can keep an eye on it rolling down the road. Make sure it's legal in your state. Ours is rated for 300lbs tongue 3000lbs max.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, have for years.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The legal research I did with Google a couple of weeks ago resulted in western states, yes and eastern states, generally no, not allowed. I wanted to tow a trailer from Florida to South Carolina with some odds and ends for my Grandchildren (cleaning out my house and cluttering theirs). Everything I could find was very specific and seemed to be current. So I managed to get everything into the 5th wheel and got it North. Driving up and back, I noticed a ton of tracker trailers pulling double. Now I'm confused.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recreational towing vs commercial, two entirely different set of rules.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wjpatter View Post
    The legal research I did with Google a couple of weeks ago resulted in western states, yes and eastern states, generally no, not allowed. I wanted to tow a trailer from Florida to South Carolina with some odds and ends for my Grandchildren (cleaning out my house and cluttering theirs). Everything I could find was very specific and seemed to be current. So I managed to get everything into the 5th wheel and got it North. Driving up and back, I noticed a ton of tracker trailers pulling double. Now I'm confused.
    A good majority of States ban recreational towing of double trailers, particularly as you found here in the east. Now what you saw were commercial drivers, who can tow doubles more broadly, but again there are rules for them that vary including types of doubles, what routes/road class, etc.

Towing doubles trailers where the lead trailer can a very long cantilever from the axles is a skill requiring a lot of practice.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can tow double in Tennessee but only up to a 65' length, legally, for recreation towing. I don't believe that to be true in Florida, Georgia, Alabama and other states. Most 5th wheels in the Solitude line would be around 55' before adding the additional trailer if you own a crew cab long bed truck.
    2020 Solitude 310GKR
    2003 F350 PSD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like others I wanted to double tow a little motorcycle trailer. But when I learned there are length limits and it's not allowed in many places we wanted to visit I made a different plan.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750