User Tag List

Thread: SRW to DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SRW to DRW

Hello all. We live full time in a 390RK-R. I currently have a Ram 3500 SRW 6.4 and having dragged coast to coast twice I would really like the stability in wind and just easier driving experience when towing of a dually. I have my eye on a new 2021 Ram 3500 DRW 8FT with the auto level air suspension and max tow package and 30K Mopar hitch. My question is: Currently I have a pullrite auto slide hitch and I can turn my truck and trailer as tight in a roundabout as the truck will go over and over in cricles and it will never touch the cab. With an 8ft bed and stationary hitch, will I be able to do the same? Will I need to watch and worry about it contacting the cab of the truck? With where I back it in and out of I go to 90 degrees or a little more fairly often. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eizenjin91 View Post
    Hello all. We live full time in a 390RK-R. I currently have a Ram 3500 SRW 6.4 and having dragged coast to coast twice I would really like the stability in wind and just easier driving experience when towing of a dually. I have my eye on a new 2021 Ram 3500 DRW 8FT with the auto level air suspension and max tow package and 30K Mopar hitch. My question is: Currently I have a pullrite auto slide hitch and I can turn my truck and trailer as tight in a roundabout as the truck will go over and over in cricles and it will never touch the cab. With an 8ft bed and stationary hitch, will I be able to do the same? Will I need to watch and worry about it contacting the cab of the truck? With where I back it in and out of I go to 90 degrees or a little more fairly often. Thanks!
    The stability going from a SWR to a DRW is great. We did it 4 yrs ago and love being able not to worry in high winds or when getting passed by semi trucks. I've got a Curt Q20 on fixed bedrails that lets me make turns sharp enough to get into tight spots. Making 90 degree or just sharp turns put a lot of stress on the trailer suspension and tires so I always try to avoid doing this if possible. Even semi drivers try to avoid jacking in trailers to save tires and suspension parts.
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With an 8 foot bed and stationary hitch, you're good to go on the dually.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an 8 bed and stationary hitch. I hate doing it because it stresses the spring hangers a lot, but I can make 90 degree turns without coming close to the cab.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the advice and info. Picked the truck up yesterday evening. Oh man it rides way better than I always imagined a dually would with the auto level air suspension. It's actually comfortable and rides better than my SRW did stock. Couldn't be happier with the purchase and is going to be night and day better towing with the long bed, 4.10's, and drw. Appreciate everyone on this forum!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the advice and info. Picked the truck up yesterday evening. Oh man it rides way better than I always imagined a dually would with the auto level air suspension. It's actually comfortable and rides better than my SRW did stock. Couldn't be happier with the purchase and is going to be night and day better towing with the long bed, 4.10's, and drw. Appreciate everyone on this forum!
    Congrats on the new truck! Now we need some pictures...
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a 2020 Silverado SRW, around 10k miles over the last year all over the United States, including in truly ice-frozen interstate in Pueblo, CO last year. I will never get a long bed dually, because it adds nothing. I've driven the high-winds of New Mexico, Texas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Columbia River Canyon (east of Portland) - which the worst, and all over Arizona. Dually is over-kill for no value, only cost.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    I run a 2020 Silverado SRW, around 10k miles over the last year all over the United States, including in truly ice-frozen interstate in Pueblo, CO last year. I will never get a long bed dually, because it adds nothing. I've driven the high-winds of New Mexico, Texas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Columbia River Canyon (east of Portland) - which the worst, and all over Arizona. Dually is over-kill for no value, only cost.
    Oh this is going to be fun.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP hasn't been on in a few months. Don't think we will be getting any pictures.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997