User Tag List

Thread: RV inspector

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV inspector

We placed an order for an Imagine 3110bh in January and just got notice it will deliver next week. This will be our second travel trailer and chose Grand Design based on quality. Our last RV was a complete disappointment when it came to the quality and workmanship the we do not want to live with again.

We are considering hiring an RV inspector upon delivery not just because of our previous experience but some of the feedback we have heard regarding the general industry and their issues around labor, COVID and workmanship given the environment. The inspector will cost around $600. Is it worth it to utilize this resource based on this group’s experience? It will give us piece of mind but look forward to the group’s feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TyHak0908 View Post
    We placed an order for an Imagine 3110bh in January and just got notice it will deliver next week. This will be our second travel trailer and chose Grand Design based on quality. Our last RV was a complete disappointment when it came to the quality and workmanship the we do not want to live with again.

We are considering hiring an RV inspector upon delivery not just because of our previous experience but some of the feedback we have heard regarding the general industry and their issues around labor, COVID and workmanship given the environment. The inspector will cost around $600. Is it worth it to utilize this resource based on this group’s experience? It will give us piece of mind but look forward to the group’s feedback.

Yes. If you are unable to go the PDI yourself, an inspector is the next best thing, probably better than doing the PDI yourself.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being newbies we hired one to do our PDI in February.
    Money well-spent, IMO.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Yes. If you are unable to go the PDI yourself, an inspector is the next best thing, probably better than doing the PDI yourself.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

What we did on our second one was we did a PDI inspection before we did the PDI. Once we agreed on a price, the dealer scheduled our PDI for a few weeks later. Before we left the yard I had the salesman power up the RV completely and we did a walkthrough on everything. I only found 2 things that were wrong, but I told the salesmen I would not sign the paperwork until I saw those things fixed on the PDI. It was all taken care of when we arrived. It worked out well. If I ever do another RV purchase, I will do the same thing again. It worked well.

My only mistake was not hooking up water to it to test the black tank flush, we had a leak.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our 22mle out of state and had it delivered. I had looked for an inspector, but there seemed to be limited options and ended up not hiring anyone.

The dealership did their look through, I wouldn't say they did a good job, but good enough. They did test things out, but also left a good bit of water in the fresh tank, grey and black tank. Unnecessary weight for the 900 mile journey to us.

When it arrived I found a handful of small issues, nothing that would prevent us from using it.

I made sure to connect to power and water and test everything as soon as I could JUST in case it needed larger repairs.

That said, we go ours early March so had there been something majorly wrong, I could have taken it to the seller dealers sister company repair facility.

If I were to be getting one now and wanted to make sure I could just jump right into camping I would spend the money to get it inspected so the repairs could be made promptly.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are unable to do a detailed PDI yourself, hire it out even though 600 seems a bit inflated.
    We did our PDI and found a 18+ item list with some major issues. On our first trip we added more items to that list, and now after doing my first preventative maintenance on the trailer (cleaning lubing seals, lubing slide components, re caulking missed areas and areas with detached caulk etc), im adding a few more items missed on the previous two lists. Some of the items were very obvious, while others required a little closer inspection. Had i not done anything i would be eating a repair bill on quite a few things even though we have warranty.
    All i can say is that after switching to GD from Outdoors Rv, i wont be purchasing another GD product. We must of purchased the lemon trailer/friday trailer/put together during the holidays trailer... what a complete pig with lipstick we bought.
    2022 Ram 2500 Laramie - Cummins
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. I would never spend that amount of money

My pdi took 15 minutes

YMMV

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are on our third Grand Design trailer. All three had PDI issues. Our current trailer we purchased "used" out of state. I used an RV Inspector to do a short PDI. (3 hour, $300) Longer PDIs are available and cost more. Well worth it in my book, what he found in 3 hours, I couldn't find in 5. In my opinion.The RV Inspector will be far more efficient and will dig deeper. Best of luck and safe travels. Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may not be knowledgeable but I'm not sure what the third party PDI gives you? Maybe it would save you some time and trips to the service center? The camper has a warranty and I expect you will know if something isn't functioning, or it will fail, within a few uses. We got our GD in the fall of 2019. There were a couple of fix-it items on the list when we took possession for which we scheduled an appointment a couple of weeks out. However, we had well more than our share of issues over the next year. Most of ours were appliance related failures, but they worked when we took possession. It was a miserable experience but I don't think a third party PDI would have gotten us anything. Thankfully we are at a steady state now.
    Last edited by Timmer; 04-30-2021 at 10:13 AM.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had hoped to hire an independent RV inspector - many changes since our 2002 TT. I figured by the time I read through all the documentation enough to understand what to test and look for, might be days. Roof is the biggest concern - my ladder climbing days are over. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any in Northern New England. I've sent an email to NRVIA so we'll see.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays