User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insight requested regarding potential water leak

Hello Folks,

While doing preventative maintenance on my 2021 Imagine 2800bh, i noticed a wet spot on the driveway beneath the passenger basement entry door area. OUtside it had been dry and warm so this stood out to me. When i looked underneath, i could see the plastic film over the Osb saturated with water. All tanks are empty, i verified the coreplast was dry after of this area, and the basement is dry with no signs of water from a potential leak from the wetbay area.
    I also looked at all roof seals, door seals etc with no "smoking gun" found. So far i re caulked around the basement doors, fwd position lights on either side of the front walls, re caulked the rock shield/front cap area etc.

Any other ideas on this? The only odd thing i noticed is that if you peel the seal/aesthetic rubber cap off the fwd edge of the sidewalls where they meet the front cap (looks like a track or groove covered by a rubber cap), you can see the screw heads that are screwed into the wall (i assume this is to aid in securing the front cap to the walls), and i found a few that spin freely and at least six that are rusty etc. This is odd considering the rest of these screws are black and not showing signs of rust. Wouldnt they have installed black or stainless steel screws to prohibit rust etc? and what exactly do these "screw" into? and to me these look like they are NOT water tight as well as the aesthetic seal/cap that goes over the top of them. Should those be covered by caulk or sealed? and could water look into the wall and down to the floor and get trapped between the bottom of the OSB and the plastic cover?

I have a month long trip in a week so taking it to the dealer (2hr drive away) is not an option at this time. Good thing is that im heading into dry season so this isnt imperative that it gets addressed right now unless somehow there is a leak internally and causing water to pool up in that specific spot. The rest of the drop down framed floor towards the drivers side seems dry.
    2022 Ram 2500 Laramie - Cummins
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B50BE8D6-996B-48B0-A7AA-08945EA9A437.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	724.8 KB 
ID:	33754

This is a photo of the plastic wrap trimmed back in order for the osb to dry out

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	85D420A4-F7E6-477E-B23B-AF4A162BA58E.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	33755

Name:	5CA8CD08-4C1D-40C0-99CE-BEA4E04F0408.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	33756

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still can’t get the photos correctly oriented, my apologies
    Last edited by JetTech; 04-30-2021 at 03:45 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
    Still can’t get the photos correctly oriented, my apolgoes
    Ok had the exact same thing on my trailer. Mine turned out to be the screws inside the frame bottom. The screws are put in at bad angles and the water pools on the Door frame and goes down the screws and to the underside. Remove the screws and put some silicone in the hole. Put the screw back in and then put some silicone on top of the screw. Also, don't forget to put some around the striker plate for the slam latch.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    Ok had the exact same thing on my trailer. Mine turned out to be the screws inside the frame bottom. The screws are put in at bad angles and the water pools on the Door frame and goes down the screws and to the underside. Remove the screws and put some silicone in the hole. Put the screw back in and then put some silicone on top of the screw. Also, don't forget to put some around the striker plate for the slam latch.

Thanks for the info! I will look into it and report back

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I removed the screws on the bottom of that frame, cleaned out the holes, packed them with sealant, installed the screws back in, resealed the screw heads and removed/sealed/reinstalled striker plates as well. I accomplished this on both basement access door frames and was a bit appalled by the sideways installed screws, one had a broken head spinning in the hole and the choice of undersized screws for the striker plates. Logically, this area is where the water could seep into that specific area underneath and is something that needs to be redesigned/weather proofed from the factory a lot better.
    Thanks again for the tip, and I will update this thread as I test it out.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
    I removed the screws on the bottom of that frame, cleaned out the holes, packed them with sealant, installed the screws back in, resealed the screw heads and removed/sealed/reinstalled striker plates as well. I accomplished this on both basement access door frames and was a bit appalled by the sideways installed screws, one had a broken head spinning in the hole and the choice of undersized screws for the striker plates. Logically, this area is where the water could seep into that specific area underneath and is something that needs to be redesigned/weather proofed from the factory a lot better.
    Thanks again for the tip, and I will update this thread as I test it out.
    Glad I could help. When I read your post it was describing exactly how I found my leak. I noticed a drip on the driveway right before I was set to take the unit back to storage.

I don't think 'perpendicular' is in the trailer assembly vocabulary. That is one of my pet peeves, put the screws in straight.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to cut open the plastic wrap on the center section and the drivers side section in order to verify if water has drained down to those areas. I found some water in the center towards the front lip and the same on the drivers side, just not as much as in the passenger section. I shouldn’t have any leaks after recaulking the seams above those areas (found missing segments of caulk where it looked like someone went to fast or wasn’t operating the caulk gun with consistent pressure in order to get a consistent bead). I would highly recommend any owner to inspect those areas for water protrusion because give it a few years and you will have rotted floors due to the poor design and poor workmanship. Using osb in those areas or anywhere on a Gd product doesn’t make sense to me either but I digress. It doesn’t even look like marine grade/treated osb but rather your plain Jane run of the mill osb.