User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whittle.....what kinda mix ratio on borax/fab softner.......cup borax/cap fab?
    Thanks

QUOTE=WhittleBurner;366536]Another reason to leave the black tank closed is those little sewer flies will take the opportunity to set up a home in your trailer.

Also after you dump and flush leave about 5 to 10 gallons of water in the tank with some borax and water softener added. This will slosh around during travel and help keep things clean inside the tank. With the added bonus of it being ready for the next outing. Don't ever leave the tank empty to dry out, as good as that may sound it is not a good idea, it's one way on how those dreaded mounds get started. As other have said (it can't ever be stressed enough to new to rving people) water is your friend.

[/QUOTE]
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely keep it closed and only open it to dump. If you ever get those sewer flies, they are a real pain to get rid of.
    D & D
    Currently in a diesel pusher,
    but we are going to retire into a
    Momentum 397th in a couple of years.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black tank dump question.

Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    10 gallons is way too much for boon dockers, but ok if you have hook ups.
    This post was about full hook ups

I never boondock

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Whittle.....what kinda mix ratio on borax/fab softner.......cup borax/cap fab?
    Thanks

QUOTE=WhittleBurner;366536]Another reason to leave the black tank closed is those little sewer flies will take the opportunity to set up a home in your trailer.

Also after you dump and flush leave about 5 to 10 gallons of water in the tank with some borax and water softener added. This will slosh around during travel and help keep things clean inside the tank. With the added bonus of it being ready for the next outing. Don't ever leave the tank empty to dry out, as good as that may sound it is not a good idea, it's one way on how those dreaded mounds get started. As other have said (it can't ever be stressed enough to new to rving people) water is your friend.

[/QUOTE]This is the recipe we use for the geo method. https://kleentank.com/the-geo-method/
    Oh and don't be embarrassed to ask any questions. There's a lot to learn when starting off and we're more then happy help out. That is what makes this place great
    Last edited by Ynot4me2; 04-30-2021 at 01:57 PM.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, what they said. If you don't ask you'll never know...
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Rgpracer;366553]Whittle.....what kinda mix ratio on borax/fab softner.......cup borax/cap fab?
    Thanks

[QUOTE]

I use 1 cup of Calgon water softener (not fabric softener) and 1 Cup borax, some use dawn dish soap or laundry detergent instead of the Borax...any of those work well also some use bleach...we don't because bleach can be hard on the seals and we're in the camper most of the time..google the Geo Meathod.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 04-30-2021 at 04:10 PM. Reason: fat fingers
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    I always try to let the black tank get around 3/4's or a little more before I dump it. Easy way to tell is every couple of days, as you are flushing, look into the tank. The tank gauge is usually reliably inaccurate. After several trips, you will get a feel on how much is in the tank, and when you need to empty.

Also let your grey tank fill up, as that is your hose flush after emptying the black tank.

What about those who only stay a couple of days at each campground? I'm not sure I feel comfortable traveling with my 60 gal black tank 50-75% full. That's a lot of weight in the tank.

However, I have never dropped the underbelly to see how the tank is supported.

I usually wait a minimum of 4 days of use of black tank before dumping to prevent valve blockage. I'm assuming that's no more than 25% capacity of tank. And also, the Geo Method has worked great for me for the last 10 years. If done correctly, no tank chemicals are ever needed.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    What about those who only stay a couple of days at each campground? I'm not sure I feel comfortable traveling with my 60 gal black tank 50-75% full. That's a lot of weight in the tank.

However, I have never dropped the underbelly to see how the tank is supported.

I usually wait a minimum of 4 days of use of black tank before dumping to prevent valve blockage. I'm assuming that's no more than 25% capacity of tank. And also, the Geo Method has worked great for me for the last 10 years. If done correctly, no tank chemicals are ever needed.
    We also travel from site to site often only staying a day or 2. If our tanks are 50% or below I don't dump if the next site is a full hook up.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    We also travel from site to site often only staying a day or 2. If our tanks are 50% or below I don't dump if the next site is a full hook up.
    Ditto. If we stop just for a couple of days, we dump in the next location (if there are hookups).

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another tip while you are sitting with the dump valves closed and hooked up to the sewer: Leave a dip in your hose like a trap to keep odors from the sewer system from coming back. Undip when you drain tanks.
    Harry C
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2610ML
    2015 F350
    Formerly: Jayco Pinnacle 36REQS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast