User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed this, that work ok?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210502_102349.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	33825

QUOTE=harryc;366964]Another tip while you are sitting with the dump valves closed and hooked up to the sewer: Leave a dip in your hose like a trap to keep odors from the sewer system from coming back. Undip when you drain tanks.[/QUOTE]
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I installed this, that work ok?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210502_102349.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	33825

QUOTE=harryc;366964]Another tip while you are sitting with the dump valves closed and hooked up to the sewer: Leave a dip in your hose like a trap to keep odors from the sewer system from coming back. Undip when you drain tanks.
    [/QUOTE]

This is a nice piece to add to your drain because you can connect a flush hose and back flush your tank from the bottom. And, disconnecting the drain hose is a good idea anyway. I remember camping at the Grand Canyon and they warned us at the gate to pull and store your drain hose when not in use because the black birds would peck holes in them.
    Harry C
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2610ML
    2015 F350
    Formerly: Jayco Pinnacle 36REQS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, something I haven't even thought of......we have only used our camper once, just a shake down, and it was only for a few days.
    We did not have sewage at our site, but after the trip, went to dump station to empty tank.

We are going for a week this coming Monday and will have sewage at our site. Do we leave the tank open to flow as we use it, or keep it shut and empty now and again?

I am embarrassed to ask, but I really just don't know.
    Thanks
    What I usually do is keep the black valve closed until it is about ¾ full. Then I will close the grey tank for at least one day/night to get it about ½ full. Then the next morning I will dump the black tank and when it appears to be finished draining, close the black-valve and open the grey-valve to flush out the hoses, etc. I have not had any problem with this procedure. The last time I dump (which is in my case, at home) I will hook up a fresh water hose and flush out the back tank.

Texas
    Imagine 2021 2600RB
    2021 Tundra

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the recipe we use for the geo method. https://kleentank.com/the-geo-method/
    Oh and don't be embarrassed to ask any questions. There's a lot to learn when starting off and we're more then happy help out. That is what makes this place great[/QUOTE]

I'd much rather learn from the experience of others than from mistakes of my own!!!
    John Wood and Pat Shackelford
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    2016 F250 KR FX4
    Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3000QB
    2 Australian Shepherds and looking forward to retirement...

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto on that Rgpracer!
    2020 245RL
    2015 F-150 EcoBoost 3.5
    Centerline WDH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve heard stories of people leaving their black connected & open longterm and ending up with a pyramid of solids reaching up to the toilet. Perhaps an urban legend, but possible.
    Mark and Judy
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch
    Fleet Manager, Cowlitz County WA Search & Rescue

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbergthold View Post
    I’ve heard stories of people leaving their black connected & open longterm and ending up with a pyramid of solids reaching up to the toilet. Perhaps an urban legend, but possible.
    Not an urban legend. We went camping with my wife's cousin, they rented a camper. Their toilet wouldn't let anything down the flush hole, so he tried dumping the tank, no change. I found a small branch and held the toilet flusher down and stuck the branch in it....sure enough poop pyramid! It was my first experiment seeing one in person, good reason not to rent out your RV.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always close the tank valve and let the tank fill. This allows the chems to break down waste. I empty mine when full or near full using the gray water tanks to flush the hose. Over time a build up of waste material can cover the indicators within the tank and cause incorrect readings. I was once advised to dump in a 10# bag of ice cubes just before travel. The ice then washes around the tank and cleans things up. It works!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We employ the let it get to a 3/4 tank then release the black first, then before closing and letting out the grays we hook up the black tank sprayer and wash until it runs clear. Then close the tank add some borax and treated er and flush 10 times with clear water from the toilet. Then open the grays (2) to evacuate the rest .
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black tank on you tube

Whittle.....what kinda mix ratio on borax/fab softner.......cup borax/cap fab?
    Thanks

QUOTE=WhittleBurner;366536]Another reason to leave the black tank closed is those little sewer flies will take the opportunity to set up a home in your trailer.

Also after you dump and flush leave about 5 to 10 gallons of water in the tank with some borax and water softener added. This will slosh around during travel and help keep things clean inside the tank. With the added bonus of it being ready for the next outing. Don't ever leave the tank empty to dry out, as good as that may sound it is not a good idea, it's one way on how those dreaded mounds get started. As other have said (it can't ever be stressed enough to new to rving people) water is your friend.

[/QUOTE]

Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyzGKE6ZPIU&t=41s

This is a great idea, and has worked for us. I use a five gal. bucket. Half a cup each (usually more as I don't measure) and mix well. then make sure you use a full 5 gallons to start the process. it is also great to use after flushing, as while you drive, you mix and clean. Cheap, easy, reliable.
    Mark and Amy Williams East Tennessee (Go VOLS), Retired and rollin'
    GD 303RLS (2020), Ford F250 King Ranch (2018), Brussel Sprout (fur baby co-pilot), Champion Inverter Hybrid Generator,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast