Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black tank dump question.

Ok, something I haven't even thought of......we have only used our camper once, just a shake down, and it was only for a few days.
    We did not have sewage at our site, but after the trip, went to dump station to empty tank.

We are going for a week this coming Monday and will have sewage at our site. Do we leave the tank open to flow as we use it, or keep it shut and empty now and again?

I am embarrassed to ask, but I really just don't know.
    Thanks
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Ok, something I haven't even thought of......we have only used our camper once, just a shake down, and it was only for a few days.
    We did not have sewage at our site, but after the trip, went to dump station to empty tank.

We are going for a week this coming Monday and will have sewage at our site. Do we leave the tank open to flow as we use it, or keep it shut and empty now and again?

I am embarrassed to ask, but I really just don't know.
    Thanks
    It's best to keep it closed and empty every few days. Keeping the line open can cause what's in the tank to dry out (and become like concrete). Letting the liquids build up (use lots of water when flushing) keeps things moving better. And leaving the line open can cause sewer gasses to back up into your tank (yuck). Always drain and flush - black tank first, then grey. That helps keep sewer hose clean.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks livin, makes sense.....i thought that way, just wanted to verify.
    Life is good.

QUOTE=livinthelife;366481]It's best to keep it closed and empty every few days. Keeping the line open can cause what's in the tank to dry out (and become like concrete). Letting the liquids build up (use lots of water when flushing) keeps things moving better. And leaving the line open can cause sewer gasses to back up into your tank (yuck). Always drain and flush - black tank first, then grey. That helps keep sewer hose clean.[/QUOTE]
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always add 10 gallons of water through the tank flush when we first set up and after each time the tank gets emptied Plus lots of water when using
    And like has been said always keep the tank closed

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I always add 10 gallons of water through the tank flush when we first set up and after each time the tank gets emptied Plus lots of water when using

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Ditto's on that

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    10 gallons is way too much for boon dockers, but ok if you have hook ups.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black tank dump question.

Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    10 gallons is way too much for boon dockers, but ok if you have hook ups.
    This post was about full hook ups

I never boondock

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always try to let the black tank get around 3/4's or a little more before I dump it. Easy way to tell is every couple of days, as you are flushing, look into the tank. The tank gauge is usually reliably inaccurate. After several trips, you will get a feel on how much is in the tank, and when you need to empty.

Also let your grey tank fill up, as that is your hose flush after emptying the black tank.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 04-30-2021 at 07:26 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    I always try to let the black tank get around 3/4's or a little more before I dump it. Easy way to tell is every couple of days, as you are flushing, look into the tank. The tank gauge is usually reliably inaccurate. After several trips, you will get a feel on how much is in the tank, and when you need to empty.

Also let your grey tank fill up, as that is your hose flush after emptying the black tank.

What about those who only stay a couple of days at each campground? I'm not sure I feel comfortable traveling with my 60 gal black tank 50-75% full. That's a lot of weight in the tank.

However, I have never dropped the underbelly to see how the tank is supported.

I usually wait a minimum of 4 days of use of black tank before dumping to prevent valve blockage. I'm assuming that's no more than 25% capacity of tank. And also, the Geo Method has worked great for me for the last 10 years. If done correctly, no tank chemicals are ever needed.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    What about those who only stay a couple of days at each campground? I'm not sure I feel comfortable traveling with my 60 gal black tank 50-75% full. That's a lot of weight in the tank.

However, I have never dropped the underbelly to see how the tank is supported.

I usually wait a minimum of 4 days of use of black tank before dumping to prevent valve blockage. I'm assuming that's no more than 25% capacity of tank. And also, the Geo Method has worked great for me for the last 10 years. If done correctly, no tank chemicals are ever needed.
    We also travel from site to site often only staying a day or 2. If our tanks are 50% or below I don't dump if the next site is a full hook up.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast