User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    Absolutely not. I wouldn’t go without an appointment. But, I trust no RV dealer, so I’m hoping GD or Lippert can guide me on what my next step should be.
    I was talking about towing it before repairs are made. I wouldn't trust a dealer, either, but - as @geotex1 has suggested - I would trust a qualified professional welder.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar issue on my 7 year old SOB. I did my best to inspect for broken frame welds but could find nothing. Partly because I had no idea what I was looking for. I did weigh and unweigh the hitch pin a few times to look for excessive movement. Still didn't see anything. I kind of concluded that the bend, like the one you have pictures of, was a result of flex. Not only did the seal tracks bend and wouldn't hold the seal but cracks in the fiberglass developed.

But a lot of other stuff was wearing out as well. So when the refrigerator went we traded it in for a new Momentum so I never did find out if there was a frame issue or not.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I was talking about towing it before repairs are made. I wouldn't trust a dealer, either, but - as @geotex1 has suggested - I would trust a qualified professional welder.

Rob
    Sorry....misunderstood. That’s why I’m trying to get Lippert or GD to guide me. Not sure it’s safe to tow. Currently in Colo Springs till Monday. I’ve looked at the accessible frame areas and see nothing. I don’t know if a welder will know how to take the rig apart to see the issue. I suspect it’ll require the front compartment covering through the panel panel under the pin area to be removed. I discovered all this while waiting for roadside assistance after a tire blowout which tore up all the street side sheet metal. It hasn’t been a good week. 😱😉
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I had a similar issue on my 7 year old SOB. I did my best to inspect for broken frame welds but could find nothing. Partly because I had no idea what I was looking for. I did weigh and unweigh the hitch pin a few times to look for excessive movement. Still didn't see anything. I kind of concluded that the bend, like the one you have pictures of, was a result of flex. Not only did the seal tracks bend and wouldn't hold the seal but cracks in the fiberglass developed.

But a lot of other stuff was wearing out as well. So when the refrigerator went we traded it in for a new Momentum so I never did find out if there was a frame issue or not.
    This one is almost 7 years old....built May 2014. We’d hoped for it to last us longer. Plus, it still has the layout we like.
    Alan and Kathleen

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’d hoped for it to last us longer. Plus, it still has the layout we like.
    We are only a few years older than you, RV wise. 2009 model, fulltimed in 2011. We bought the new Momentum April 2017. We probably would have put more money into the old RV but this new hybrid floor plan was a better layout for us, so we jumped. And in doing so we dumped all the cumulative problems, like maybe a busted weld on the frame.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry....misunderstood. That’s why I’m trying to get Lippert or GD to guide me. Not sure it’s safe to tow. Currently in Colo Springs till Monday. I’ve looked at the accessible frame areas and see nothing. I don’t know if a welder will know how to take the rig apart to see the issue. I suspect it’ll require the front compartment covering through the panel panel under the pin area to be removed. I discovered all this while waiting for roadside assistance after a tire blowout which tore up all the street side sheet metal. It hasn’t been a good week. ����
    You should not tow it any great distance. You should be able to find one of the following in reasonable proximity:

- Trailer builder - especially equine and those building goosenecks
    - RV/BUS/Semi body shop

If you have success with Lippert, they, like GD, have mobile technicians who are trained and experienced welders. Pin box deck fatigue and cracking is more common than you may realize. If you compare how yours is framed versus the current frames you would find a number of changes, albeit still room for improvement.

I have heard of some pretty outrageous prices from dealer service shops to make the repairs, and I believe you're fully out of frame warranty. Being full-timers, you can get your insurance involved... You can also save yourselves thousands finding a small shop with competence and your willingness to do the labor of stripping it for them - i.e., cutting the silicone, removing the corner trim from the front wall and overhang, pulling the pin box, pull the cargo door, and then loosening the panel. A couple days for proper repair with grinding, cure of weld-through primer, welding, then reinforcing, and a coat of rust-inhibiting paint. Then you do the reassembly. If not the result of corrosion, proper repairs will make it stronger than new.

Good luck getting sorted out!!!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to update all, after conferring with a shop in Colo Springs (they were 2 1/2 weeks out to maybe look at it) we decided to come back to Tucson where we winter and own a rig in our RV resort. Not sure if I’d mentioned, but we discovered this AFTER a tire blowout that did extensive sheet metal damage which will be an insurance claim. Turns out Lazy Days cannot see us until the end of July (my 7 yr extended warranty expires July 8), but I was able to get into La Mesa RV here on June 17. I had forgotten the outfit I use to service my suspension most years and called them, then went down and showed him pictures and he was familiar with this type of issue, so I will take it to Professional Trailer Repair on 6/7 for them to diagnose and repair the frame/slide problem. That blowout was a blessing in disguise as I’m not sure how long it’d have taken me to notice this problem.
    Alan and Kathleen

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Professional Trailer Repair just did some long overdue suspension upgrades on my trailer. Those guys know their stuff. Highly recommended!
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    Professional Trailer Repair just did some long overdue suspension upgrades on my trailer. Those guys know their stuff. Highly recommended!
    Thanks, Mike!
    Alan and Kathleen

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    Curious what upgrades you had done, Mike. I'd like to go to Timken axle-less spindles and disc brakes, especially after seeing how thin the spring mounts are (and having axles that I think are not beefy enough for the 2500), but those are pricey, so looking for options.
    Mark and Judy
    USN/USAF family (parents and kids)
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast