User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Even though it is a 2015, since this is a major safety issue, I would think the odds are at least 50% that GD will lean on Lippert to make it right, The potential bad press from a failure such as this would be a considerable motivation, not to mention potential liability..... They would likely want to investigate it to determine just how many units are involved, or if it was just a one off oops.
    That's a really big maybe, and definitely would be above and beyond and excellent customer service from Grand Design if they can leverage it. Not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic, as this is not at all an unusual failure - just rare - on Lippert 5th wheel frames. Lippert does have some common repair guidance for several different types of failures, but in my experience they will not share the details with owners - just repair facilities. Most of the failures are not rocket science at all for an experienced structural welder.
    Last edited by geotex1; 09-06-2021 at 08:51 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    That's a really big maybe, and definitely would be above and beyond and excellent customer service from Grand Design if they can leverage it. Not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic, as this is not at all an uncommon failure - rare, but not uncommon - on Lippert 5th wheel frames. Lippert does have some common repair guidance for several different types of failures, but in my experience they will not share the details with owners - just repair facilities. Most of the failures are not rocket science at all for an experienced structural welder.
    What is the difference between "rare" and "uncommon"?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    What is the difference between "rare" and "uncommon"?
    That's a debate for the academic English scholars. In my case, simply the result of being interrupted while responding and not proofreading when done! Fixing that! LOL

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, after waiting for months and working with GD and LCI, I finally got an LCI Mobile Tech out to Tucson yesterday to assess the issue. Sure enough, the upper deck welds on both sides were broken. Additionally, the welded brackets that attach the curb side wall to the upper deck had some broken welds, though that did not impact this. He also found that the curb side I Beam that the landing gear attaches to has a bend and a broken weld. He measured deflection of the upper deck at 1 1/4" on one side and 1 1/2" on the other. Max allowable should be 1/4". Deflection now is 1/8".

Here's a couple of pics of the before.....After pics in the following post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1216.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	38744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1217.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	38745 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1218.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	38746
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a few pics of the repairs made. These entailed not only pulling the underside of the nose off, but also the cap since he found broken welds along the curb side plate where the wall attaches. Not shown are the welds made from the propane compartments on both sides as they were cracked as well. Anyway, $5k later I'm happy we are going to get our rig back and be able to travel again. Lazy Days should have it reassembled next week. Now I have to see what doesn't work after being out of service for almost 10 months. I sure hope my Stabil in the gas worked

Name:	curb side repair.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	38747 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	street side repair.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	38748 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stringers welded.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	38749 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jack repair.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	38750 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curb wall .jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	38751
    Alan and Kathleen

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After all this time, glad you are back at it. To bad they didn't give you a better deal though, since some of this was likely bad welding job from the beginning.
    I will say that the Lipppert Mobile techs are pretty darned good. We had the honor of meeting a few when our welds on the hangers broke and they do a great job.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    After all this time, glad you are back at it. To bad they didn't give you a better deal though, since some of this was likely bad welding job from the beginning.
    I will say that the Lippert Mobile techs are pretty darned good. We had the honor of meeting a few when our welds on the hangers broke and they do a great job.
    I actually looked at it as a good deal since the dealer's initial estimate was $10k+ as their solution was to replace the entire upper deck. As it was, Lazy Days only charged $1,000 for removing and replacing all the filon, framing and the cap, plus I saved $75 per month in storage fees since they housed the rig for me. I told my wife I saved her $5,000! ;-)
    Alan and Kathleen

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    So, after waiting for months and working with GD and LCI, I finally got an LCI Mobile Tech out to Tucson yesterday to assess the issue. Sure enough, the upper deck welds on both sides were broken. Additionally, the welded brackets that attach the curb side wall to the upper deck had some broken welds, though that did not impact this. He also found that the curb side I Beam that the landing gear attaches to has a bend and a broken weld. He measured deflection of the upper deck at 1 1/4" on one side and 1 1/2" on the other. Max allowable should be 1/4". Deflection now is 1/8".
    Glad to hear you are back in business. (Guess "business" is the wrong word. Should be back in "fun").

By the way, how and where would one measure the "deflection" you are referring to? We just picked up a 2021 Solitude 380FL and I would like to measure it as a benchmark for future checking.

Thanks.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    Glad to hear you are back in business. (Guess "business" is the wrong word. Should be back in "fun").

By the way, how and where would one measure the "deflection" you are referring to? We just picked up a 2021 Solitude 380FL and I would like to measure it as a benchmark for future checking.

Thanks.
    Yes. Put the rig on level ground (asphalt or concrete preferable). With the jacks down and off the truck, measure from the bottom rear corner on the street side of your pin box to the bottom corner of the frame on that side and note the measurement as accurately as you can. Repeat the same on the curb side. Hitch the trailer to your truck and raise the jacks so that the weight is on the hitch and take the same measurements on each side. It is easier to use a fork lift if you have access as the truck bed can get in the way. Now compare the loaded and unloaded measurements on the respective sides. According to the LCI Tech (and the GD Engineer I worked with), there should be a max 1/4" flex. Note that the 2 sides may not measure exactly the same, especially if you aren't on level ground.
    Last edited by arhayes; 01-29-2022 at 01:20 PM.
    Alan and Kathleen

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    Here are a few pics of the repairs made. These entailed not only pulling the underside of the nose off, but also the cap since he found broken welds along the curb side plate where the wall attaches. Not shown are the welds made from the propane compartments on both sides as they were cracked as well. Anyway, $5k later I'm happy we are going to get our rig back and be able to travel again. Lazy Days should have it reassembled next week. Now I have to see what doesn't work after being out of service for almost 10 months. I sure hope my Stabil in the gas worked

Name:	curb side repair.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	38747 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	street side repair.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	38748 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stringers welded.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	38749 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jack repair.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	38750 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curb wall .jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	38751
    Did a decent job patching it up! I think I would have personally braced between both frame rails given how much the webs were twisted, but it's a toss up of making it too stiff and risking a break elsewhere or just reinforcing.

The Lippert mobile guys are great. Had one along with a GD SRT member make a healthy repair to our Solitude last year after a slide mechanism went sideways.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast