User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update - I received my rig back from having the tire blowout body damage repaired last Friday. In the meantime, I had written to GD Management asking for some help in identifying the problem. I was contacted and they arranged a video call where I could use my phone to show them the areas, then they had me direct the camera inside the propane compartment where they found a crack I had missed. It is hairline and there if probably more, but that got us on the right track. I now have an appointment for 8/26 at Lazy Days here in Tucson who is an authorized GD and LCI repair facility. GD is helping me let them know specifically what they need to do to find additional possible failure points. The front radius from the Gen compartment to the pin box (BTW - I found out that is called the phylon) will be removed and that should allow them to see anything else. As an aside, they had also sent me a form to fill out from LCI titled Upper Deck Flex Measurement. What it showed was that the frame from pinbox to lower frame has a 1 1/4" flex when in tow mode versus on the landing gear. They didn't tell me what an acceptable flex would be, but those measurements helped lead the way. It also reaffirmed that my issue is not a one off.

All good news and I'm hoping we can get back on the road in September. Cheers.
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, not so good news. I took the rig in to Lazy Days, and after them having it a few days they are telling me it is much more involved than a couple of rewelds. Ballpark estimate is $10-$12k. With that said, they still need to verify a couple of things and explore some options before giving me a real quote. They are to get together with GD on what they've found so I can get their take on it also, as well as Lippert's. I'll update later this week if I hear more. Not happy, but whining and complaining about it won't solve anything. Cheers.
    Alan and Kathleen

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    Well, not so good news. I took the rig in to Lazy Days, and after them having it a few days they are telling me it is much more involved than a couple of rewelds. Ballpark estimate is $10-$12k. With that said, they still need to verify a couple of things and explore some options before giving me a real quote. They are to get together with GD on what they've found so I can get their take on it also, as well as Lippert's. I'll update later this week if I hear more. Not happy, but whining and complaining about it won't solve anything. Cheers.
    So sorry to hear this, Alan. Please do keep us posted.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pin flex should be less than 1/2" on a previous brand trailer we owned. Everybody has different specs though.
    $10-12K is an absolutely ridiculous number. Unless something really peculiar happened to your trailer frame, IMO, it should be in the $5k range.
    The previous brand trailer (Titanium) had some pin box deflection issues and I'm unaware of anybody having to go over $5k to fix. It's just welding, not rocket science.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Pin flex should be less than 1/2" on a previous brand trailer we owned. Everybody has different specs though.
    $10-12K is an absolutely ridiculous number. Unless something really peculiar happened to your trailer frame, IMO, it should be in the $5k range.
    The previous brand trailer (Titanium) had some pin box deflection issues and I'm unaware of anybody having to go over $5k to fix. It's just welding, not rocket science.
    As far as I know, Lazy Dogs - purposeful - has no internal capabilities for this repair. It'll be subcontracted out to a heavy trailer shop and they are certainly taking their markup on that work!

OP, if I were you I would start asking around trailer building/repair shops!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The measured upper deck flex is 1 1/4”. GD tells me the acceptable range is .25-.5”, so it’s way out of spec.
    Alan and Kathleen

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    As far as I know, Lazy Dogs - purposeful - has no internal capabilities for this repair. It'll be subcontracted out to a heavy trailer shop and they are certainly taking their markup on that work!

OP, if I were you I would start asking around trailer building/repair shops!
    You are probably right, but I went to Lazy since they’re the authorized repair facility. The advisor’s comment was that it is a structural failure in the upper deck frame. I’m hoping to get, between them, GD and Lippert a true picture of what needs to be done to correctly fix this. Since I have little confidence in towing it, I hate to drag it around trying to find a place to repair it. The way my luck is running it’d fall apart in transit.��
    Alan and Kathleen

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With almost triple the acceptable deflection, I'd not want to tow it either. But Like geotex said, a tractor/trailer repair shop would be a good place to go to. Being a 2015, it's not likely GD is going to help out with the cost, so 'Authorized' really doesn't matter to you. At least it wouldn't to me.

There are lots of great welders out there that will do it as a side job (so long as you can tell them what needs fixing).....ask around. Cash is good...
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 09-06-2021 at 01:31 PM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With almost triple the acceptable deflection, I'd not want to tow it either. But Like geotex said, a tractor/trailer repair shop would be a good place to go to. Being a 2015, it's not likely GD is going to help out with the cost, so 'Authorized' really doesn't matter to you. At least it wouldn't to me.

There are lots of great welders out there that will do it as a side job (so long as you can tell them what needs fixing).....ask around. Cash is good...
    True on the dealer, but my thought was that I’d have a better chance of getting GD involved in giving guidance on the repair. It appears the bedroom slide will have to be removed and the floor torn up to get complete access to where the break is. An independent frame shop here in town had the same thought earlier and because of all that declined to do the work.
    Alan and Kathleen

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    True on the dealer, but my thought was that I’d have a better chance of getting GD involved in giving guidance on the repair. It appears the bedroom slide will have to be removed and the floor torn up to get complete access to where the break is. An independent frame shop here in town had the same thought earlier and because of all that declined to do the work.
    Even though it is a 2015, since this is a major safety issue, I would think the odds are at least 50% that GD will lean on Lippert to make it right, The potential bad press from a failure such as this would be a considerable motivation, not to mention potential liability..... They would likely want to investigate it to determine just how many units are involved, or if it was just a one off oops.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast