User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Even with the battery disconnect switch off there are still parasitic draws, mainly from the detectors (propane, etc). Basically anything attached to the power buss bar under the cover. If you look you will see a lot of attachments and then see the cable going to the disconnect that then goes to the distribution panel. On my new solar install I am installing true disconnect switches to the battery bank so I fully isolate everything in storage.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    The fridge is directly wired to the battery.
    The disconnect doesn't disconnect it...

You have to turn the fridge off inside the fridge...

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately, there will still be a parasitic drain with the fridge "turned off".
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    Unfortunately, there will still be a parasitic drain with the fridge "turned off".
    True...

But the solar panel provides over 12amps of charging in hard sunshine, and over 5 under clouds...

I've left my fridge ON and have run my furnace over a few nights when it's been cold out and the panel has kept up over the last 6 weeks...

2021 Transcend 261bh
    2021 Ford F-150 3.5eb

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    True...

But the solar panel provides over 12amps of charging in hard sunshine, and over 5 under clouds...

I've left my fridge ON and have run my furnace over a few nights when it's been cold out and the panel has kept up over the last 6 weeks...

Unless you get snow covering them and learned the hard way the disconnect does not disconnect everything.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all! It is actually at the storage place now. I've got the fridge closed, but I do have a battery disconnect I never got around to installing on the last trailer, I'll put that on this one next to the battery for storage. It does have the 165 watt panel on the roof which should keep it charged ok, but better safe than sorry haha.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by supaphly42 View Post
    Thanks all! It is actually at the storage place now. I've got the fridge closed, but I do have a battery disconnect I never got around to installing on the last trailer, I'll put that on this one next to the battery for storage. It does have the 165 watt panel on the roof which should keep it charged ok, but better safe than sorry haha.
    Double check how the solar is wired to the battery. In most cases the factory solar wiring is disconnected when the disconnect switch is off. To have the solar charged the battery when disconnected, it needs to be directly wired to the battery. I suggest it be fused or on a circuit breaker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Unless you get snow covering them and learned the hard way the disconnect does not disconnect everything.
    It snowed a couple of the cold nights when I had the furnace running...

The snow (about 1-2 inches) dropped charging amperage down to 3 or 4... But it was still positive... The panel/charger brought the SOC back to full in a couple of days after the snow melted...

We weren't opening and closing the slide every 20mins not were we running the water pump...
    But fridge was ON, and the furnace was at 55 on those cold nights...
    I was worried, honestly, after hearing stories about people draining their batts using the furnace overnight... I would check in the trailer at 9pm and again at 7am or so.

If the fridge is turned off, I don't see any reason why 165w of solar (heck, even 80w at half sun) can't stay ahead of parasitic loads over the course of a few days. Mine has done so admirably since Apr 5 with actual loads...

2021 Transcend 261bh
    2021 Ford F-150 3.5eb

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not familiar with the model.Is this an RV fridge? Works on gas r electric? On mine in h vent area where th pilot light is there is a plug that un powers my fridge. I know because my storage place will no allow any to run at all on propane or electric.RV fridges that is.
    Pete & Betty
    2012 F250 Super Duty 4x4 6.7 Diesel
    2015 Reflection 29RS
    Palm Harbor, FL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leons_Bad_Side View Post
    Not familiar with the model.Is this an RV fridge? Works on gas r electric? On mine in h vent area where th pilot light is there is a plug that un powers my fridge. I know because my storage place will no allow any to run at all on propane or electric.RV fridges that is.
    It is a 12v-only fridge...
    It runs a compressor like a residential fridge, but uses 12v to do so...

In further reading of the owner's manual, the box light inside will turn itself off after 5mins if the fridge is turned off, and the door is ajar.
    This can be reset by closing and opening the door again...

Took a temp reading of the beer that has been in my fridge since Apr 10 today. This is after being 'off grid' since Apr 5... It was at 38*F...

The solar panel and charger, while the fridge was running, were still able to run its absorption cycle at 14.5v with 3amps in hard sunshine...

There wasn't a drop in amperage when the fridge motor 'kicked-in', so that tells me that there was ample reserve. (The math agrees; 160W/14.5V is 11amps. 11A-5A = 6Amps to charge batteries when fridge motor is running)

2021 Transcend 261bh
    2021 Ford F-150 3.5eb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a 2022 GD Imagine XLS 23LDE and took it directly to my storage facility. I made sure the battery was disconnected (off position and key pulled) before I left. When I returned to check on the trailer I was surprised that the refrigerator was still cold and the inside light came on when I opened the door. I have the 12 volt Dometic fridge and 165 Watt solar panels on the roof. I did figure out how to turn the fridge off (pressing the mode button inside the fridge for 3 seconds). This caused the light to go out and the fridge to turn off. The dealer didn't mention anything about the 12 volt fridge being hardwired to the batteries, nor whether the solar will or will not charge the batteries with the battery disconnected and the key pulled. I hope my (2) 6 volt batteries were not degraded because of this. I will check the batteries upon my next visit.

I was happy to find this thread because I thought I was losing my mind as to how the fridge was being powered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast