User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire balancing with TPMS on the “Truck”

Good Morning to everyone that will read this.

I wanted to ask a question I to the community at large. For those of you that have a tow vehicle that did not come with TPMS, have you added it to you trucks? If you have was it a screw on type at the top of the stem or an inter tire type?

I recently got an F-450 with the commercial tires and it did not come with TMPS for the “G” rated tires. There are so many TPMS, but what I am wondering is if I used a screw on system on the end of the stem, would I eed to rebalance the tires? As an engineer, I am doing the centrifugal force calculations in my head so to speak saying to myself, it must need to be rebalanced given how far from the center the stem is, but then I am thinking maybe its not heavy enough to make a difference on these massive tires. The lug nut covers do not create an issue, but that’s because they are in the center and do throw off the overall wheel balance.

Hoping to get some thoughts from folks here on their experiences with this concept please.

Thanks in advance
    Jason
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ever looked at kinematic wheel balancers? If not , take a look at these (https://www.centramatic.com/). I use them on my trailer tires and I'm considering getting a set for my Ram 2500. When we first purchased our trailer (Transcend 26RLS) we noticed that the furniture would be in different place after we got where we were going. Being an Engineer also, it concerned me, so I investigated and found that none of my trailer tires were balanced. Apparently, this is typical for a trailer. I considered taking my trailer tires off two at a time and bringing them to a tire shop until I read about these kinematic wheel balancers. So I bought a set and installed them. At the time I think I spent $140 for the set, but like everything else are more expensive now. They made a huge difference in the ride of the trailer. There are beads inside the ring that automatically balance the tires. So if you add TPMS sensors or pick a rock in the tread, the Centramatic wheel balancers will automatically rebalance the tires.

Watch this video for a demonstration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ullnFQD4F1I
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 04-30-2022 at 09:45 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    Good Morning to everyone that will read this.

I wanted to ask a question I to the community at large. For those of you that have a tow vehicle that did not come with TPMS, have you added it to you trucks? If you have was it a screw on type at the top of the stem or an inter tire type?

I recently got an F-450 with the commercial tires and it did not come with TMPS for the “G” rated tires. There are so many TPMS, but what I am wondering is if I used a screw on system on the end of the stem, would I eed to rebalance the tires? As an engineer, I am doing the centrifugal force calculations in my head so to speak saying to myself, it must need to be rebalanced given how far from the center the stem is, but then I am thinking maybe its not heavy enough to make a difference on these massive tires. The lug nut covers do not create an issue, but that’s because they are in the center and do throw off the overall wheel balance.

Hoping to get some thoughts from folks here on their experiences with this concept please.

Thanks in advance
    Jason
    My only concern would be if the truck had rubber valve stems. If you use the screw on TPMS sensors can the rubber valve stems withstand that kind of force without cracking? If hard valve stems which I think an F450 would have, shouldn't be a problem. I use the TST TPMS screw on sensors for our RV but it has hard valve stems.

I also use the centramatic balancing plates on the RV. I believe they really make a difference. My S-I-L uses the centramatic plates on his F250 and likes them.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use these on your drw & you can position the sensors opposite each other. And makes it easier to air up the inner tire.
    https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-USA-A...s%2C288&sr=8-2
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my $.02 worth on the valve extenders: I've had three different sets/types/brands, and they all leaked. One leaked immediately, and the other two leaked after a year or two. If you have a good tire gauge checking air pressure on duallys is not that difficult. I would pass on the valve extenders, JMO of course.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S