User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GFCI wiring

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GFIs will not reset without input power.
    Also, any outlets that are fed by the GFI outlet will be marked as such. At least they are on my Reflection.
    I would reset all of the 15A breakers and go from there. It's going to be on a 15A breaker because all of the outlets are wired with 14ga wire.
    Last edited by BobLandry; 05-01-2021 at 12:51 PM.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    Are you sure about this?

I believe that the GFCI outlets like the ones in our trailers can be reset without input power BUT they will not trip with the test button unless there is input power. At least every one I’ve had acts this way.

I just verified that’s the way the ones in my house works.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 05-01-2021 at 01:18 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off your topic, but where did you camp in Durango? I lived there back in the 80’s up towards Purgatory. Really feeling the need to go back. Lots of great memories living in the mountains. Let me know how well you liked the campground. Thanks!
    Last edited by Dakota; 05-01-2021 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, any outlets that are fed by the GFI outlet will be marked as such. At least they are on my Reflection.
    I would reset all of the 15A breakers and go from there. It's going to be on a 15A breaker because all of the outlets are wired with 14ga wire.
    Also, all outlets downstream of the initial one will also not have power until the gfi or cb is reset or subsequent issue resolved.

I say you have either tripped or bad cfi or tripped or bad circuit breaker.

It is certainly possible to have a wiring issue, but the issues I mentioned are your most likely causes.

As others have directed, check power in the distribution center before the cb and the wiring before the primary gfi outlet.

Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Are you sure about this?

I believe that the GFCI outlets like the ones in our trailers can be reset without input power BUT they will not trip with the test button unless there is input power. At least every one I’ve had acts this way.

I just verified that’s the way the ones in my house works.
    There is no difference between trailer and household GFIs. Every one I have seen works as I described. Obviously the test button is not going to work when no imput power is applied. The GFI trips on current leakage and with no power there can be no leakage.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no difference between trailer and household GFIs. Every one I have seen works as I described. Obviously the test button is not going to work when no imput power is applied. The GFI trips on current leakage and with no power there can be no leakage.
    Bob,

I think it’s a matter semantics. We agree on how the test button works, sensing a ground fault and tripping, but differ on how the reset button functions.

The reset button is mechanically latched when reset either with or without input power. Sort of like a latched mouse trap. As long as there isn’t a ground fault with input power it WILL mechanically reset.

Try it out. Trip the GFCI with the test button to create a simulated ground fault, then turn off input power from the power panel or breaker box. Then push in the RESET button. It will latch and stay in. Then apply power via input breaker and the GFCI outlet will come alive.

Jerry
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    The reset button is mechanically latched when reset either with or without input power. Sort of like a latched mouse trap. As long as there isn’t a ground fault with input power it WILL mechanically reset.

Try it out. Trip the GFCI with the test button to create a simulated ground fault, then turn off input power from the power panel or breaker box. Then push in the RESET button. It will latch and stay in. Then apply power via input breaker and the GFCI outlet will come alive.

Jerry
    I took an unused Hubbell Autoguard GFCI out of its box. It's reset button was out in the tripped position and wouldn't reset.
    Powered it up and it clicked and I could reset & trip it.
    Removed its power & I could reset it.

Rather than open it up, found a cutaway youtube video: Teardown: Leviton Ground fault circuit interrupter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyeijLvh-yI
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have removed the GFI from the wall no power on any side of the line going in out out even with power on the trailer. Wont reset with power on or off. Is it possible to send maybe 6 volts down the line and see if it registers on an outlet down stream? I will try all suggestions thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabidd View Post
    I have removed the GFI from the wall no power on any side of the line going in out out even with power on the trailer. Wont reset with power on or off. Is it possible to send maybe 6 volts down the line and see if it registers on an outlet down stream? I will try all suggestions thanks.
    With no power in, the problem is NOT going to be down stream.

2020 2600RB,
    2017 Silverado Crew Cab 1500, 6.2L

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabidd View Post
    Time to check the circuit breaker if no power at the back of the outlet. Be sure to cycle it a few time to see if something changes. Maybe swap it with another breaker and see what happens.

I don't think 6 volts is going to help much. You need 120v on the hot line going into the GFIC outlet. That's where the troubleshooting focus should be now.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast